Homebrew Save Nintendo WiFi - A project to save online servers for DS (and Wii) games

guard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Since no-one seems to be exactly jumping on this: Who's got a game they'd like to play online with GBATemp? If there's a game with WFC that you'd like to packet log, and want some decent gameplay so there's some of the protocol to actually look at, post it here and we can hopefully get enough people to play.

Perhaps one with a NoSSL patch, or where it's hard to find online players. We could do it on a Sunday or something, so worldwide time differences don't matter as much, and do a Strawpoll to get the most popular choice.

Most of the games I'm interested in already have some logs, so really it's up to you if there's a game you'd like to play online again, as this is our best hope for anything like WFC again.

Toad King

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even though most games have logs, very few have any in friend matches. Getting some of those, especially from multiple sides of the same match, would help greatly. I own all the games with NoSSL patches except the Pokemon ones, so I can help there.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
using the street pass relay guide i can make my sister laptop into a "bridge" like this:
internet <-> router <-lan cable -> (linux or windows) computer <- wifi -> nintendo ds

i had failed using the relay on the windows 7.. i can use connectify or other way...

can someone explain me an easy way of capturing packets?
i own a NDS Lite and a 3ds (xl)
games i own for ds: pokemon black\white\white2\diamond\soulsilver

i can battle or trading with myself using the 2 consoles via internet (connecting either both to my sister computer or one in the computer and the other on the router)
i can also try to get a second wifi card for my desktop (connected with lan with the router) and having the 2 computers recording both the consoles

all i want is to help making a fake server for pokeymonz

if you need anything which i can help, just send me a pm, or quote my poste so i can see the alert, also can give skype\team viewer, anything...

Toad King

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you're connected to the internet with your sister's computer? If so, you can just download Wireshark (http://www.wireshark.org/). Then follow this tutorial from about 12:30

Because his computer is acting like a bridge and not a router it might be trickier. I think Wireshark is low level enough to sniff out packets directly from the interface with no routing but the fact it's a bridge might mess with that.

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
edit: i can use either the computer as a bridge, or connect the console to the router to capture

i thought it was easier if i used the computer as a bridge since every traffic goes through itself

guard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
edit: i can use either the computer as a bridge, or connect the console to the router and capturing the air traffic

i thought it was easier if i used the computer as a bridge since every traffic goes through itself

You need something in between the DS and the internet to capture the packets. That can be a computer or even just a router with custom firmware. Toad King knows more than me. I would at least try with Wireshark just in case, and if it doesn't work, sorry for misleading you ;)

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
You need something in between the DS and the internet to capture the packets. That can be a computer or even just a router with custom firmware. Toad King knows more than me. I would at least try with Wireshark just in case, and if it doesn't work, sorry for misleading you ;)

thats why i talked about the computer, my router is a shity one from the ISP i can not do much with it, but i can make a laptop sit between the console and the internet and capture the traffic which go through it

Toad King

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That setup might work fine. If it doesn't you need to configure your laptop to work as a router instead of a straight bridge. I'm not sure how to do this on Windows but I'm sure there is software out there that can do that.

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
so, i was watching the video, and my standard wifi adptater (which is internal in the laptop) doesn't have software, i can do access point mode using connectify or using the street pass relay tutorial, is there a good light software to make it in AP mode or connectify is ok?

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
That setup might work fine. If it doesn't you need to configure your laptop to work as a router instead of a straight bridge. I'm not sure how to do this on Windows but I'm sure there is software out there that can do that.

well a nds\3ds can't connect in ad-hoc mode to the internet... i had tried it before, like i said in the previous post i can make it work with connectify or another way... my sister is using the computer now, but when i can i will try to see if i can make it work

guard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
well a nds\3ds can't connect in ad-hoc mode to the internet... i had tried it before, like i said in the previous post i can make it work with connectify or another way... my sister is using the computer now, but when i can i will try to see if i can make it work
I think connectify should work. Just try it when you get the chance, and post any game you'd like to play and capture with others ;)

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
I think connectify should work. Just try it when you get the chance, and post any game you'd like to play and capture with others ;)

i will capture and post what i can

btw, it is better to play a long game of pokemon, or make quick battles to connect and disconnect the online session several times for better understanding how are the "handshakes" made?

guard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Not sure - as long as you actually connect to someone your dumps will be a lot more useful than just connecting and disconnecting from Nintendo. Try and make a note, or even better, record a video, of what you were actually doing though.

Toad King

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i will capture and post what i can

btw, it is better to play a long game of pokemon, or make quick battles to connect and disconnect the online session several times for better understanding how are the "handshakes" made?
Both would be good, but if you only have time for one do the short sessions. The connection handshakes and session handshakes will no doubtfully be the most important part to reverse engineer.

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Both would be good, but if you only have time for one do the short sessions. The connection handshakes and session handshakes will no doubtfully be the most important part to reverse engineer.

sorry if am being so much about "maybe little details"

i will do both of short and long battles, i will prepair today pokemon "tanks" for making the battle really long, and an horde of sheddinjas to make really short ones xD
i will also make a "log" of which attacks i will use, stats and etc

btw, in april i should get my dstwo (i hope) and can help with every game... but since i am gonna go on vacation, i will be away 2-3 weeks, but since we got until May for experiment...

Toad King

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is awesome! Do you plan to release the code or are you working on finishing it first?

Also, you should go and test this with some Wii games. Other than naswii.nintendowifi.net instead of nas.nintendowifi.net I think most Wii games work the same way.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up