Homebrew Saturn emulation using Cotton/Guardian Force testing and debug

xYuunax

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
@ZER-O I just realized Guardian Force doesn't save the ini in the savedata like Cotton 2. Changing the ini directly works without having to dump/edit/restore save.

This makes testing the settings alot easier, wish I had discovered this earlier :ha:

Last edited by xYuunax,

ZER-O

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@ZER-O I just realized Guardian Force doesn't save the ini in the savedata like Cotton 2. Changing the ini directly works without having to dump/edit/restore save.

This makes testing the settings alot easier, wish I had discovered this earlier :ha:
then we should adapt that Game as our Main Template for experiments
this will ease the pain of testing some games with long forced Tutorials

OP should add this important insight to the main info Post

a Public shared NSP editor to make separate TID & BID is still needed before i conduct more experiments
for now i have got what i needed from private help, ill be making Game Title Icon Covers and wallpapers for the time being

shadow256

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't think it will work, I tried the following SaturnBIOS="/switch/bios.bin", got error 2002-0001, then the controller layout screen appears, and game boots up. So I think it tried to load the bios but failed.
I've tested also what you say but for me the app close after the error. And I don't think that the path logic is so simple, for homebrew it possible but for Nintendo application I don't think you could access the SD like that, the path must be something like "romfs:/bios.bin" (tested and doesn't work) or "/something/romfs/bios.bin" or "/something/bios.bin".

ZER-O

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've tested also what you say but for me the app close after the error. And I don't think that the path logic is so simple, for homebrew it possible but for Nintendo application I don't think you could access the SD like that, the path must be something like "romfs:/bios.bin" (tested and doesn't work) or "/something/romfs/bios.bin" or "/something/bios.bin".
well i hope its possible to extract the emulator and port it to a HomeBrew app, this has a lot of potential unless the SSF emulator was completly re written into Nintendo SDK or unless there was a way to decrept the surce code, then its not possible

xYuunax

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
then we should adapt that Game as our Main Template for experiments
this will ease the pain of testing some games with long forced Tutorials

OP should add this important insight to the main info Post

a Public shared NSP editor to make separate TID & BID is still needed before i conduct more experiments
for now i have got what i needed from private help, ill be making Game Title Icon Covers and wallpapers for the time being
I may have spoken too soon, was testing a game that didn't create a Save. -_-

EDIT/UPDATE: 'SaveData00088000.bin' is where the settings gets saved, I created a folder with the same name and replaced it.. now gives an error code on initial boot, but the emulator continues to load and uses the ini everytime now, even after saving.

Hopefully someone can figure out a proper workaround.

Last edited by xYuunax,

cucholix

00000780 00000438
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
@helvetinperkeles try this, it's my own setup, I'm on 13.0.0 | ams 1.0.1
If it doesn't work, then there's an issue with the Title ID of your games.

I already told you check the title ID through EdiZon overlay, nxdumptool or whatever tool to check the correct ID, it seems the IDs you are using correspond to the 3 in 1 version. Standalone titles never ends in a number different than "000", "002" correspond to DLC stuff, or games bundled.

Attachments

• atmosphere.rar
    194.4 KB · Views: 63

helvetinperkeles

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland

I already told you check the title ID through EdiZon overlay, nxdumptool or whatever tool to check the correct ID, it seems the IDs you are using correspond to the 3 in 1 version. Standalone titles never ends in a number different than "000", "002" correspond to DLC stuff, or games bundled.
Will check this out 👍 Thank you all for patience. This all is new stuff for me so i'm here to learn things. 🙂

ZER-O

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

he is not Helping anyone by typing not helping, just tell him to delete all his 3 cotton games, he is confusing himself with 3 TID folders, make him delete all 3 games and start over

worst case scenario his AMS CFW is setup bad and cant forward and read from RomFS

i give up on helping him

dj5927

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
2021101122194700-57B4628D2267231D57E0FC1078C0596D.jpg

KakaoTalk_20211011_152144570.jpg

2021101020253300-23494DC57B770DFAD7556AB30BCF9284.jpg

I made an overlay.

Can be used for Guardian Force

When using it for cotton, it can be used only by changing the file name.

Attachments

• Wallpaper.zip
    473.9 KB · Views: 99

helvetinperkeles

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland

This is wierd. I checked the IDs and they all ens with 00. So why my folders that i got after dumb have not those zeros? 🤔

helvetinperkeles

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Just place the icon.jpg and config.ini in the folders with those "00"
Ok now this goes wierd. I renamed the id folders to 00 again and boom now the custom images work! BUT now every game boots as it original. Like now that i boot worldwide soccer t boots to cotton2. What the f? 🤔😄

Attachments

• 20211011_204732.jpg
    20211011_204732.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 55

helvetinperkeles

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Ok this is wierd. I even deleted all files from my id folders and reistalled all and still all games boots to there original games. Just my luck. Now that i got the gamecovers correct now i cant play the games anymore 🤣 And yes i deletet savefiles and rebootet switch but same results. Strainge.

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Place the bin/cue and assets in those 00 ending folders too
That won't work. I couldn't get these ROMs to work myself when I had it ending in 0 You need them in a folder ending in 6 for collection. 2 for standalone.

Maybe he can have two title folders? Ending in 0 for icons and stuff and 2 for holding his .bins. dunno if that would work.

Last edited by Purple_Shyguy,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
    Veho @ Veho: +1