Samsung Galaxy s3 unveiled

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
How about adding longer lasting batteries?? Seriously all these new phones with amazing features, but batteries that suck. I love my HTC Sensation, but I have to carry my charger around for it. It's all these android phones!

Agree 100%. You could make this thing twice as thick, meaning a battery nearly 3 times the size. I know sleek and sexy sells but surely they can make an OPTIONAL fat battery for those who actually like to use their phones.

Not that I really care, my Android phone is a cheapo Chinese phone. And then I only have a smartphone because I need it for work. And I won't switch to a major manufacturer until they start including built-in keyboards and dual sims in their Android phones. So a long time away then...

EnigmaBlade

Trophies
XP
Country
How about adding longer lasting batteries?? Seriously all these new phones with amazing features, but batteries that suck. I love my HTC Sensation, but I have to carry my charger around for it. It's all these android phones!

Yeah so true.. my samsung galaxy gio phone only lasts about 1-2 hours now, since i've charged it too many times i think lol. If i was using the internet, i doubt it would even last half an hour lol

lismati

Speedrunner in practice
Trophies
Website
www.wiiplanet.info
XP
Country
Poland
And here she is

projectgggdsc01353mat600-1336075895.jpg
What a terrible accident she had, losing a finger. Does Samsung imply that their phone is for four-fingered people? Or maybe "designed for monkeys".

In all seriousness, this beast is huge. I guess people will start carrying 45' TVs with them someday. I think 3.5' or 4' is perfect.

Reactions: 1 person

funem

Retro Powered..
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The Original SGS2 had Samsungs Exynos chip in it which was less powerful on paper than chips in other phones. The difference was that Samsung built the S2 around the chip and it therefore used the chip to its full potential, other makers built a phone and stuck a chipset into it, thats why the S2 in tests out performed virtuall every other phone, when released and still outperforms many now. Just because the S3 doesn't have a Tegra 3 chip in it does not mean it will perform worse, it will be interesting to see how it stands up against the competition. An example of this is also the Asus Transformer and the Xoom (Both Tegra 2). Both are almost identical inside, but the xoom performs very badly when compared to the Transformer.

Samsung have also done something about the battery, on paper the S3 uses less power than the S2. They also released their own battery replcement for the S2 for those who wanted one that has a much larger capacity and adds virtually no bulk. I charge my S2 about once every other day with the new battery and would say I use my phone for internet, camera and games, and have never run out of power. So they are aware of the problem and are doing something about it, or at least giving options. (http://www.amazon.co...36121904&sr=1-1) Well woth the small amount it costs as its 2000mAh

Lastly Android phones have had voice activation on them before the iPhone did, my old windows 6.5 phone would also react to voice commands. All they have done is package and name it as a feature, its just marketing.

I have a year to go on my current contract and I know my S2 will last it out, I will just jump a generation and go for the S4 when its released.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
After looking at some videos, this phone doesn't look that bad. TouchWiz killed the amazing 4.0 feel though. Benchmarks are likely to pack a punch.

Also, S-Voice does look like a partial Siri ripoff. (not that I'm jealous or anything but look at some of the YT videos online) Seeing Apple's credibility of sueing, I wonder if Samsung is going to get sued for this. I know it's marketing and all, but the similarity is quite huge.

If the iPhone 5 doesn't impress, I'll just wait for Galaxy Nexus 2. A S III may be a Nexus on steroids, but it's simply a beta of the next nexus IMO.

funem

Retro Powered..
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
TouchWiz 4 is fine, its on the S2 and it is much better than stock Android launcer IMHO, had no speed issues using it and is more flexible than stock. The thing is about Andrid I find funny is people complain about TW and Sense etc then go and put another launcher on their phone, but at least they have a choice, Android is about having the choice to make the phone look and feel your own. That said I still like TW and I have had a large number of phones over the years.

Samsung will sue, the sue even if they didnt invent what the sue you for using. Swipe to unlock wasnt invented by them, but they sued anyway claiming it infringed ther patent. They could only sue in the USA as thats the only place that would grant them the patent, it was thrown out in Europe as they understood that the swipe to unlock gesture was on phones before Apple even entered the market. Voice activation will go the same way I guess, they didnt invent it, they just made it more user freindly. Its like I designed the door and Apple came along and designed the door handle and then claimed they invented the whole concept. Its not just Apple, they are all at it now, somone needs to put their foot down as it getting out of hand.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I have a feeling that the new Exynos will pulverize the Tegra 3, so I'll stay tuned for benchmarks.
GSMarena has them. It's shockingly impressive. Defeats every competitor out there.

Unless Apple can come out with an A6 chip with quad core CPU + GPU or an A5X variant with quad core CPU for their next iPhone, there is likely no way the Exynos SoC can be trashed.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have a feeling that the new Exynos will pulverize the Tegra 3, so I'll stay tuned for benchmarks.
GSMarena has them. It's shockingly impressive. Defeats every competitor out there.

Unless Apple can come out with an A6 chip with quad core CPU + GPU or an A5X variant with quad core CPU for their next iPhone, there is likely no way the Exynos SoC can be trashed.
So it's better than PS Vita's chipsets?

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Without doubt.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal

Without doubt.
PS Vita's chips were nowhere from bad actually, it's just severely underclocked as a game console doesn't need that much horsepower.

I must say CPU performance on the Exynos Quad is ultimate, but GPU can be improved. The main worry I have is battery life. My GS2 had a pretty disappointing battery drop after about 2 months of use, and I didn't update to ICS after hearing that it got much worse. Even though GS3 has a higher capacity battery, it might not do the trick.

I will wait for more quad core mobiles to come out. Even though Exynos Quad blows many other chips out of the water, I want to see how other QC phones enter and dominate the market.

@[member='raulpica']: I seem to have a lot of difficulty posting on my iPhone.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
PS Vita's chips were nowhere from bad actually, it's just severely underclocked as a game console doesn't need that much horsepower.

I must say CPU performance on the Exynos Quad is ultimate, but GPU can be improved. The main worry I have is battery life. My GS2 had a pretty disappointing battery drop after about 2 months of use, and I didn't update to ICS after hearing that it got much worse. Even though GS3 has a higher capacity battery, it might not do the trick.

I will wait for more quad core mobiles to come out. Even though Exynos Quad blows many other chips out of the water, I want to see how other QC phones enter and dominate the market.
Yeah, if hacked the PSVita will most certainly be an awesome homebrew console.

How many cores has the GPU got? It's a 400MP so it's most certainly not single-core... but it's 2-core or 4-core?

@[member='raulpica']: I seem to have a lot of difficulty posting on my iPhone.
Funny, I've done it quite a few times without problems.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
@raulpica I can only (for now) post with quick post. Otherwise it will just go back to the home page whenever I press 'submit'.
Maybe because I'm using cellular data?

And the Exynos Quad uses the same dual core GPU, but severely overclocked to run the 720p display.

ThePowerOutage

The Lord of the Flyes
Trophies
XP
Country
Removable battery, MicroSD slot, quad exynos, 4.8 720p display. Heck I'm sold.
Though the pentile screen kinda suck, I'm used it it by now.
Definitely the best out there atm in my book. The only thing that comes close is the AT&T One X, but I dislike qualcomm SoC's and cba to import again anyway.
The design could be better, but I'm not going to be ashamed whilst using it (*coughcough*Galaxy Note)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    Im gonna see if I can find a ps4 to buy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    now that firm ware 11 supposedly is exploitable
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you see the fallout series
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is pretty good
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    an elder scrolls movie or show would be cool, but which elder scrolls game would it be based on?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh who am i kidding it'd be skyrim
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but,since they're only a few years apart, a morrowind + oblivion series would also be cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: