[RUMOR] XB1 to be underclocked?

Gabelvampir

Free Mars!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Maybe they do but they are so used to enterprise things where everything is rack mounted with its own air conditioning.
Don't give them any ideas, next thing you know all Next Gen(tm) consoles will require a rack to function (not in the box, available for the small price of 599$/€). And if we're lucky you can use the same rack for all companies.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Don't give them any ideas, next thing you know all Next Gen(tm) consoles will require a rack to function (not in the box, available for the small price of 599$/€). And if we're lucky you can use the same rack for all companies.

Maybe that is the ultimate goal of cloud computing.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
I was about to made a joke about Apple, design and functionality, but they actually have good designs that left functionality almost intact.
good design and functionality is something Microsoft does very well with his peripherals, on my work I have the basic Microsoft keyboard and mouse and at home I have a Microsoft Sculpt and they work perfectly.
but downclock isn't always a bad thing, i'm not gonna say the same thing that they are saving that power for later on, but they could be doing that for the aforementioned cool working temperature but also for lower power consumption and stability, or maybe they are only downclocking only a single core(the system core) to make the others run faster(the gaming cores) maintaining the temperature and stability while playing a game or something, only time will tell.

SnAQ

Trophies
XP
Country
I find it very funny that people claim that the hardware layout in the Xbox is bad, and the console isn't even out yet...
And I also find it amusing that even in the article they say that it MAY be a difference in the framerates...

Rumor threads shouldn't be allowed!

nukeboy95

Old skool member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems like it is for them.

Xbox had a foolish design (slow running fan far away from the heatsinks, no fanduct) it sucked out hot air which is good but there's barely any cool air forced into the console.
360 had a foolish design (slow running fans far away from the heatsinks, fanduct) Same as original Box.
Slim 360 has a pretty good design, stil bad cause it spreads hot air in the console >_>
XB1, same as the Slim.

MS...
haven't you learned from Personal Computers?
Or are you hiring monkeys to do the design work?

if they have this flaw they can charge you more money to fix it

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
if they have this flaw they can charge you more money to fix it

Even if they had, it's a risky step to take.
It could involve into a lawsuit (purposely making them break after the warranty, well every manufacturer does that these days so it seems)
And it could cost them millions.

They just can't design a better airflow design.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not much for rumors at all, but considering the first Xbox also ran quite hot (50/60+ degrees)[/LEFT]
That's a little bit hotter than the original XB runs, in my experience (120-130 F, about 48-54 C).

50-60 C is about what my 360 runs at, albeit with fans set to run at 100% all the time.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*Reads OP, goes to play used Wii games on the Wii U and then proceeds to watch Netflix*

I uh, noticed you didn't say Wii U games. :tpi:

I'm starting to wonder if these rumors are leaked into the public by Sony. But it's not surprising if the X1 really does overheat. It took them a few revisions of the Xbox 360 to get it right. Beefier console hardware means more generated heat, which means faster spinning fans/more fans, and in turn typically means louder fans.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I uh, noticed you didn't say Wii U games. :tpi:

I'm starting to wonder if these rumors are leaked into the public by Sony. But it's not surprising if the X1 really does overheat. It took them a few revisions of the Xbox 360 to get it right. Beefier console hardware means more generated heat, which means faster spinning fans/more fans, and in turn typically means louder fans.

Hard to say, but things aren't looking good for the Xbox One. Oh well :rofl2:

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I find it very funny that people claim that the hardware layout in the Xbox is bad, and the console isn't even out yet...
And I also find it amusing that even in the article they say that it MAY be a difference in the framerates...

Thank you!

I was getting the feeling that gbatemp wasn't giving a fuck whether something was confirmed or not; they just want an excuse to bash something they don't like. I'm glad I'm not the only who actually knows what "rumor" means.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I find it funny that the same judgment happened to the Wii U before it was released.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That's a little bit hotter than the original XB runs, in my experience (120-130 F, about 48-54 C).

50-60 C is about what my 360 runs at, albeit with fans set to run at 100% all the time.

I had one original Xbox I had to softmod for someone and that fucker ran 60+
Me own Xbox runs at 50-55 iirc.
I've been thinking of modifying it but I see no need to.
Mainly cause every old Xbox can be softmodded with ease ;p

Me 360 runs ~45-50 ish idle and 50-55 ish under load.
Fans at 75% with a 40mm fan mounted to the GPU heatsink @ 9v iirc.
I also taped a bit of cardboard on the fanduct to help "seal" the GPU heatsink.
And I snipped away the metal fanmesh in the back.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Microsoft's inspiration for the 360?

225px-Heatposter.jpg

For the Xbox One?

JJrcxrb.jpg

The next Xbox may run better, but I can't help but feel like this is an artistic step backwards.

Reactions: lexarvn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/22tVWwmTie8?si=2CEDZldUW5ODozYh meh