Hacking rrod on my new board

metalmystere

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok looked on ebay and seen those stick on one's the copper one's are said to be the best? but not seen any for the chips under the gpu heatsink? i guess that heatsink is meant to trap the heat from them as well?
anyway, i have been thinking for a long while now about buying a re-balling kit and a reflow station, i have experience in soldering (but it's been a while) i don't want to spend too much cash because i don't have much of that lol. and i do have 2 boards to practice on, if i reballed what needed doing with the lead solder would i still get the rrod over time? or is it because of the crappy solder thats in now that people get this problem? i remember a few years back when i worked for a company that made the air bag control units in cars we used the lead solder, then new rules came out and we had to switch to the lead free shit, i could tell a difference right away.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Wedge a penny between them
But when you got a 12v fan hooked up then it'll suck away most heat.

Reballing is really difficult.
I would advice against it tho.
But if you want to give it a shot then get 60/40 lead/tin solderballs.

Yep, cause lead in solder is harmful to people.
Like if a costumer is going to screw it open and lick the connections...

Meh, what can you do against it.

metalmystere

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i know right, you know lead's been used for god know's how long and all of a sudden they say "it's bad for people, so we are going to use this shite solder instead"
now don't get me wrong i can understand i was expossed to this solder working in that car plant, and the fumes were awful, but other consumers are not going to be put at that kind of risk, unless like you put "open and lick the connections". i would like to have a go at reballing, i am very quick at picking things up like that, and having to sit and solder circuit boards all day for 4 years i think i have a slight edge over someone with no experience at all. just got to find a work station cheap.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Roofing lead, lead solder for gas plumbing etc.
It's ridiculous but what can you do.

Yeh the fumes are indeed harmful but that can be prevented with wearing a respiratory mask.
Same can be said for welding etc.

Aye, I give you the best of luck with reballing.
Make sure you have a steady hand and not take things to hastefully.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Just one hint: don't spend too much on this 360. The heatgun trick lasts something between 3 days and 6 months, and it's probably not worth it to spend a load of cash something that is going to blow up again in 2 weeks.

Reactions: DinohScene

metalmystere

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i hear ya, i'm just tired of having to buy new motherboards to just play xbox, then have the same shit happen again. i'm starting to really hate microsoft and this pile of shite they put out to the public.
i bet this new xbox one's not gonna get any better, that's why i am going to wait for a while before throwing out the cash to get one, get to see what problems people are gonna have.

metalmystere

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
to be honest i's not worth the bs to get another board, and the falcons and jaspers were to much to buy, could go out and buy a new slim xbox for what they want. also don't come up much on ebay, might be some there now, but i have had enough sleepless nights over the xbox 360, just gonna hope this one last's a little while.

metalmystere

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just installed my new fan mod into the box it's 12v and you plug the power into the back of the dvd drive then into the motherboard, tested it and it is louder but i can feel a whole lot more cooler air.
the noise won't make that much difference, once the game's start up, and since i reflowed the chips with the heatgun had no problems (touch wood) so i'm a happy camper.

metalmystere

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK guy's just a quick update, the box is still going strong, not had any problems with any red lights.
I have to admit I have been a bad boy!!! last night a got a not so original copy of GTA V, just to check it out, but it crashes out and won't play. but that's ok, i'm going out to buy it in the morning,
just wanted to get a quick play.

metalmystere

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess I got lucky with the reflow, and adding the new fan, I have to admit the fan is a lot louder and when I put my head against the back of the sofa I can feel the vibrations coming thru it LOL but hey I can live with that if it keeps the box running.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I guess I got lucky with the reflow, and adding the new fan, I have to admit the fan is a lot louder and when I put my head against the back of the sofa I can feel the vibrations coming thru it LOL but hey I can live with that if it keeps the box running.
Not wanting to ruin your party, but my first reflowed 360 lasted ONE year (quite a lot for a reflow) with a lot of luck, since it was also my first reflow, then ultimately died.

Reflowing is never a cure - it'll happen again, you just don't know when.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, @Psionic Roshambo sorry but im not that used to listening to non game music +1