360 Slim E with RGH2 fan won't start at boot! But when it shuts off, then works normal. HELP!

nashismo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Dear GBAtemp users:

Long time no see! It's been a long time since I don't post in this forum, I used have great discussions in here.

OK to the point! I have an Xbox 360 Slim E with RGH2 and the problem I have is that every time I boot the console, the fan won't start (very seldomly it will start) and after it gets hot to about 80 degrees (it takes a while to get there), it shuts off because of temps. Then when I turn it on again, there are no problems and the fans work as they should.

This is always the case. I have reset glitch hack version 2 and I have updated to the latest dashboard, using Mr. Mario's tutorial on Youtube, in order to see if by doing this, it would fix my issues. But nope, the fan problem remains the same.

Could this be a hardware problem? I do not believe it could be the fan failing as these are somewhat newer console revisions.

In any case I would be so happy to have some feedback, because I have not been able to fix this issue and I do not know what else to do.

Thank you guys,
Nashismo
Chile.

EDIT: FIXED!!

I finally was able to buy another fan from a different seller on Aliexpress. This time the fan was an original new old stock and it worked perfectly!! I am so happy because I thought the problem was my console.

Anyone buying fans look for for something like this: "Original New Inner Cooling Fan Heat Sink Cooler Cooling Fan for Xbox360 Slim".

I hope this information helps others in need. My best regards and thank you all.

Last edited by nashismo,

scroeffie1984

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
thermal paste sounds to me its a software problem maybe wrong fan settings
and after it gets hot to about 80 degrees (it takes a while to get there), it shuts off because of temps. << you can adjust when the fan wil spin faster i think or is that only on the ps3 cfw ?
does the xbox use a pwm fan than maybe the fan is failing or connector somehow ?
so fan wont spin at cold boot than temps go higher xbox shuts down when you reboot fan kicks in so its the fan and or temp sensor

Reactions: nashismo

nashismo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
thermal paste sounds to me its a software problem maybe wrong fan settings
and after it gets hot to about 80 degrees (it takes a while to get there), it shuts off because of temps. << you can adjust when the fan wil spin faster i think or is that only on the ps3 cfw ?
does the xbox use a pwm fan than maybe the fan is failing or connector somehow ?
so fan wont spin at cold boot than temps go higher xbox shuts down when you reboot fan kicks in so its the fan and or temp sensor

Well, I have adjusted the desired temps in dashlaunch, so it doesn't go above 68C, and when the fan actually works, these temperatures are respected by the fan, it does not go above 68c degrees.

The problem is the "starting up" of the fan, maybe it has to do with the RGH2? That is why I came here, to ask if anyone knows if maybe by updating to the new RGH3, this could fix my issue.

Thank you for your feedback man, and I will continue to wait for some more feedback from anyone who could know some more about this issue.

nashismo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Replace fan.
Thank you, I remember you! And I remember you knew what you were saying back then! Do you really think is the fan though? Not trying to be cheap, but what makes you think the fan needs replacing?

Thank you still, if the fan is the problem, sure I will try to find a good replacement! Waiting to hear more of what you now though, and thank you for your time.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you, I remember you! And I remember you knew what you were saying back then! Do you really think is the fan though? Not trying to be cheap, but what makes you think the fan needs replacing?

Thank you still, if the fan is the problem, sure I will try to find a good replacement! Waiting to hear more of what you now though, and thank you for your time.
I haven't had a fan go out on the 360, but I had my fan go out on the wiiu. it did the same thing as you describe, and it would eventually overheat. I play the system almost daily, so I had to replace it. it hasn't overheated since, knock on wood. that was over a year ago.

Reactions: nashismo

nashismo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I haven't had a fan go out on the 360, but I had my fan go out on the wiiu. it did the same thing as you describe, and it would eventually overheat. I play the system almost daily, so I had to replace it. it hasn't overheated since, knock on wood. that was over a year ago.
Thank you godreborn, that is all I needed to know! :) I am happy now that I know there can be a fix for this problem. My best regards :bow:
Post automatically merged:

I agree with godreborn, replace the fan and paste whilst you're at it.

Edit: the RGH itself has no effect on the operation of the fan, everything is software controlled.
I will do as you say, I knew Gbatemp wouldn't let me down.

Also, and I am sorry to waste your time. I have only found 360 Slim fans for sale, would they work for my 360 E Slim? I will keep looking though. Thanks! :)

Last edited by nashismo,
Reactions: godreborn

nashismo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Replace fan.

Godreborn, I finally got the replacement fan and now the fan is working 100% from boot up!! It won't go slower!! This is driving me insane by now...

I checked Dash launch and no matter what I do, it seems to make no difference, it won't slow the speed down, even after a restart. It's winter in my country and the temps on the 360 are very low. I did not replace the thermal paste, because I never saw high temps.

The console is super clean, I really don't know what to do know...

Can the fan that I bought be faulty? It is an original 360 Slim fan by cooler master, or maybe my console somehow is a bitch and will never work correctly?

Any thoughts guys? Thank you all...

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Godreborn, I finally got the replacement fan and now the fan is working 100% from boot up!! It won't go slower!! This is driving me insane by now...

I checked Dash launch and no matter what I do, it seems to make no difference, it won't slow the speed down, even after a restart. It's winter in my country and the temps on the 360 are very low. I did not replace the thermal paste, because I never saw high temps.

The console is super clean, I really don't know what to do know...

Can the fan that I bought be faulty? It is an original 360 Slim fan by cooler master, or maybe my console somehow is a bitch and will never work correctly?

Any thoughts guys? Thank you all...
Is the fan speed set to auto in Dashlaunch? I have mine set to 50, since it's starting to hot, tho the temps barely hit the 60° mark during gameplay. It doesn't sound loud.

nashismo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Is the fan speed set to auto in Dashlaunch? I have mine set to 50, since it's starting to hot, tho the temps barely hit the 60° mark during gameplay. It doesn't sound loud.
I have temps set to 69 and we are in winter here, soo, no, that's not it.

It might be stuck at 100% speed cause it doesn't have a connected sense wire/PWM/whatever its called.
Have you got pictures of the product?

I would have to open everything again and take it from the console. But from what I saw, it looked the same as the one I took out from the console, same amount of wires nothing seemed broken...

I am really bummed by now, so many problems and cannot fix it. My theory is that the old owner of the console had the same problem, and that is why the fan was dying when he sold it to me, as it was always working at 100%, just a theory though.

I DO thank you guys for your feedback though!! Please if you can, do give me more ideas :)

Here I am showing pictures of the fan and the modding job, which seems to be pretty good:

IMG_0407.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0406.JPG
    IMG_0406.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0403.JPG
    IMG_0403.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0400.JPG
    IMG_0400.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0402.JPG