EDM-020 PS5 is this an overheating issue or something else?

HannahMakes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
UPDATE: cleaned off the liquid metal and reapplied some fresh stuff and it all seems good now! Thank you for your help!

Hello! And thanks in advance for your help!

Ive got an EDM-020 PS5 with a weird issue I havent seen before. It came to me with a dead fan, which I replaced, and now it boots up to a white light and a message on the screen about plugging the controller in, but then the fan goes turbo and it shuts itself down.

It seems to be an overheating issue because if I try and turn it on again immediately after that, it doesn’t get as far before the fan goes wild and it shuts down. If I leave it to cool down for a while before turning it on again it will get all the way to white light again.

There’s nothing obvious on the board, can’t find any shorts or suspicious components. The fan, PSU and heatsink are clean and free of dust. I dont know what specifically is getting hot - trying to sort out borrowing a thermal camera from a friend to investigate. Could it be a liquid metal issue? Or have I got a bigger issue? I’ve tried to add a couple of pics of the board and the liquid metal, so hopefully that's worked!
20231128_184355.jpg
20231130_172944.jpg

Thanks again!

Last edited by HannahMakes,

jkyoho

Trophies
Website
form.jotform.com
XP
Country
Canada
Does it come in like that photo with no screws holding down the heatsink to the bottom(main) metal plate?
The apu obviously lack of liquid metal, and I also assume the apu has bare contact to the actual heatsink

HannahMakes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Does it come in like that photo with no screws holding down the heatsink to the bottom(main) metal plate?
The apu obviously lack of liquid metal, and I also assume the apu has bare contact to the actual heatsink
It did have all the screws - this picture was taken after I started disassembling it.

Do you think the lack of liquid metal is enough to cause the problem I'm seeing?

jkyoho

Trophies
Website
form.jotform.com
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, it would cause the problem. Assuming you haven't touched the LM on the APU, the mount of LM there wouldnt make console boot up normal to Home page. In other world it would shutdown while try to boot to home page since power wattage would peak to 200W-ish when booting to Homepage.

So, I would suggest you clean up the APU surface and repaste the LM fully cover the APU(transferring LM from heatsink side required).

HannahMakes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, it would cause the problem. Assuming you haven't touched the LM on the APU, the mount of LM there wouldnt make console boot up normal to Home page. In other world it would shutdown while try to boot to home page since power wattage would peak to 200W-ish when booting to Homepage.

So, I would suggest you clean up the APU surface and repaste the LM fully cover the APU(transferring LM from heatsink side required).
Awesome, thanks for your reply. I'll give it a clean and apply some fresh LM Monday and see how it goes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BunnyPinkie @ BunnyPinkie: Currently asked for mecha mote iinchou mm my best friend to be translated but I also want to ask...