ROCKSTAR: PS3 Firmware 3.61 causing older PS3s to overheat

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
iFish said:
Nathan Drake said:
My PS3 has always been kind of bad with heating, but Red Dead Redemption seems to be the only game that causes it to overheat badly. I'm gonna go ahead and say that the ball was dropped by the developer, and not Sony. Maybe the game is just too damn complicated, and they tried to do to much with the PS3 version.

None of my other games seem to stress out the system as badly as Red Dead Redemption. This is on the 100 something GB Slim model. Maybe Rockstar should try a little harder to test their games in all respects.

Don't blame Sony for this. I highly doubt that they are at all to blame for this one. As fun as it is to jump on the ignorance bandwagon, I would recommend actually reading the article and creating your own interpretation of events.
I don't think it's games, since it happened to me on the web browser.
nyanya.gif

I have the 250GB slim model if that means anything to you.

Of course the web browser will make it heat up. My PSP heats up pretty badly too if I sit on the internet browser for too long. Running the internet is kind of a stressful thing for systems where it isn't a primary function.

sonknuck23

Mighty Switch Force >
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Man, first hackers fuck with Sony and now a Rockstar Game w/ firmware update 3.61 + old PS3 models are acting up? GOD SONY, GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER.

On a serious, non-sarcastic note, I guess I don't have to deal with this problem, due to the fact that I have 0 interest in L.A Noire, but has this happened to anyone else playing a different game for a long period of time as well? or does this ONLY happen with this one game?. . .

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
sonknuck23 said:
Man, first hackers fuck with Sony and now a Rockstar Game w/ firmware update 3.61 + old PS3 models are acting up? GOD SONY, GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER.

On a serious, non-sarcastic note, I guess I don't have to deal with this problem, due to the fact that I have 0 interest in L.A Noire, but has this happened to anyone else playing a different game for a long period of time as well? or does this ONLY happen with this one game?. . .

As stated above, my PS3 will overheat and freeze if Red Dead Redemption is played for to long.

jamesaa

The Prince of Insufficient Light
Trophies
XP
Only ever had heat problems with my PS3 in two situations, first being extremely hot summer day and 6 hours of non-stop metal gear online, second being the bug fest that was heavy rain after an hour of playtime mid winter ( though that was fixed by reinstalling the game data)

Both times simply resulted in the PS3 fans switching to jumbo jet take off mode.
dry.gif
but no serious effects.

I was planning on getting this game, but I might wait and see how this turns out, will likely hold off updating to 3.61 also.

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
None of the three PS3s, phat or slim, are making any noise since the update. They aren't even overheating. They overheat when played during the day, but since it's ALWAYS hot here, I highly doubt Sony's the cause for that.

Sony haters are just getting worked up over nothing, again.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Cant say I have noticed my 80gb PS3 being louder than usual since the update (its always been pretty quiet). And I definitely haven't noticed any signs of overheating.

But I haven't played L.A. Noire on it, and since PSN went back up I have only played it for an hour or so at a time max. So who knows.

dgwillia

The Bacon Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No idea why, but twice yesterday while playing Metal Gear Online, my PSN just completely crapped out. (I'd get completely booted out of the Game Server, yet would stay logged into PSN).

Never had that issue before, and im on a 120 Gig Slim.

As far as LA Noire goes, it seems a bit louder, but no issues so far. Then again, i have bad luck with Rockstar games

haddad

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
p1ngpong said:
Cant say I have noticed my 80gb PS3 being louder than usual since the update (its always been pretty quiet). And I definitely haven't noticed any signs of overheating.

But I haven't played L.A. Noire on it, and since PSN went back up I have only played it for an hour or so at a time max. So who knows.

same here, no overheating, but my ps3 is really loud (usually quiet)

trigger_ftu

The FantomPhox
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
makes me glad that i replaced the component gew from my ps3 to arctic silver 5. i have been playing all day on psn with MW2 and Boarder lands and my system has been fine. no overheat.then again it might also be the fact i have a good place for my ps3 plenty of cool air (today that is it is a nice cool day)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!