Homebrew Official Retroarch WiiU (wip.)

D

Deleted User

Set input device to keyboard, then back out the controls menu and enter the menu again, does it change then?
yea my input device has been keyboard. tried switching out of it, leaving the menu, switching back to keyboard, leaving the menu, still no options.

Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
I'm fairly certain that the Wii U's keyboard support is broken in its current state - before RetroArch had its own HID support, controller_patcher got merged in. While it's great at supporting lots of unusual HIDs and very customisable, it also aggressively claims most USB devices. COS only allows one client to access USB HIDs at a time, which means that all the keyboard inputs go down the controller_patcher drain (since it's only configured for gamepads in most cases) and the keyboard driver code sits dormant. I haven't confirmed this is actually the case, but I'm fairly certain this is why nobody was ever able to get keyboards working.

Reactions: ShadowOne333
D

Deleted User

It doesn't matter at all, the keymapper is meant to do the opposite actually, it's supposed to emulate a keyboard with the gamepad
I think I'm missing HAVE_KEYMAPPER somewhere but I double checked already and I have no idea...
At the very least, besides generic mapping for "button 1,2,3ect" i have options for mouse1 and mouse2, which are mapped to L2 and R2. Is that seperate from your keymapper?

Radius4

Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
yes, that's still part of the old mapper... thing is it works on other platforms, so I see no reason for it not to work here
What version are you running? you need to be running a recent RetroArch nightly

D

Deleted User

yes, that's still part of the old mapper... thing is it works on other platforms, so I see no reason for it not to work here
What version are you running? you need to be running a recent RetroArch nightly
it says im running git version 8EC326a 1.6.7. I'm running the channel. Was i supposed to somehow both update the channel *and* grab the core itself? I just got the core.

D

Deleted User

The channel is just a forwarder to the app on the SD card, that shouldn't matter.
okay i totally forgot about that, been focused on nintendont recently. apologies lol.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So i updated retroarch to the latest nightly, re downloaded the latest dosbox, still no change. Tried disabling the gamepad and using the wii remote to navigate the UI, thinking that'd change anything, did nothing.

Radius4

Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
I don't have a hacked WiiU (I have a WiiU but I'm too lazy to hack it or whatever, I own all the games I wan't already)
Anyway, I tested this on PC, android and linux and is working fine... no clue why it isn't working on WiiU.

D

Deleted User

I don't have a hacked WiiU (I have a WiiU but I'm too lazy to hack it or whatever, I own all the games I wan't already)
Anyway, I tested this on PC, android and linux and is working fine... no clue why it isn't working on WiiU.
retroarch wii u right now is pretty barebones and crashing at least 10 times each time i try to use it, so i think im just gonna cut losses and try pc anyway. I'll give PC ago right now.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It's pretty easy to run RetroArch without permanent hacks though, just saying :P

Radius4

Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
retroarch wii u right now is pretty barebones and crashing at least 10 times each time i try to use it, so i think im just gonna cut losses and try pc anyway. I'll give PC ago right now.

Is it really crashy? sucks to hear that I wish it wasn't...
I thought it was one of the more stable ports

It's pretty easy to run RetroArch without permanent hacks though, just saying :P

I guess.. but then again it's downstairs. If there was some kind of VNC or something I may feel inclined to do some testing...
Maybe if I can hack my gamepad to work over here 10m apart from the console.

Not that I can really fix it but maybe I could try at least but I hate having to connect and disconnect stuff to test.
I love my android devices for this reason, I just push stuff via adb and test, and I use vysor to connect remotely when I'm feeling extra lazy.

Last edited by Radius4,
D

Deleted User

I guess.. but then again it's downstairs. If there was some kind of VNC or something I may feel inclined to do some testing...
Maybe if I can hack my gamepad to work over here 10m apart from the console
Mame won't work, Quake/Doom wont work, Some menu options freeze retroarch, sometimes i just get a full on crash that i need to force shutdown on, yes its unstable right now lol.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Maybe if I can hack my gamepad to work over here 10m apart from the console.

Not that I can really fix it but maybe I could try at least but I hate having to connect and disconnect stuff to test.
I love my android devices for this reason, I just push stuff via adb and test, and I use vysor to connect remotely when I'm feeling extra lazy.

Well, it was just a suggestion, no sweat, man :P

About stability, 1.6.0 was pretty stable, I think 1.6.1 is as well, I haven't tested it in some time, I thought people like QuarkTheAwesome narrowed down the cause of it.

D

Deleted User

Well, it was just a suggestion, no sweat, man :P

About stability, 1.6.0 was pretty stable, I think 1.6.1 is as well, I haven't tested it in some time, I thought people like QuarkTheAwesome narrowed down the cause of it.
I'll definitely start taking pictures of whatever crashes if thatll help, i'm just very surprised there isn't already tutorials on how to get things working and whatnot. Seems very dead.

D

Deleted User

Tutorials for what? It's not dead, people are just busy.
what to put in what folders to get certain cores working, recommended settings, ect. Wii u isn't completely like PC, as we've especially learned just now. Hell i've never used retroarch until now. Never found it needed.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what to put in what folders to get certain cores working, recommended settings, ect. Wii u isn't completely like PC, as we've especially learned just now. Hell i've never used retroarch until now. Never found it needed.

Well, it's all that's really available for Wii U, unless you want to use the garbage Snes VC on Wii U lol.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yea is pretty good