Homebrew Emulator RetroArch Wii - The Return of the Extra Unofficial Cores

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ploggy @SaulFabre

Thank you both for your efforts, very appreciated.

Testing the vbam core, GB and GBC games run excellent. I would consider vbam on par with VBAGX emulating GBC games, better than anything else.

Running GBA games is hit/miss, some will code dump freeze, requiring hard reset. I don't believe rom size is the issue, only GBA compatibility is not great.

I have the best luck with GBA games forcing Game Boy Advance hardware instead of Auto, and not using Official BIOS.

One last thing to mention... I usually download nightly pack releases every 10-14 days to test and stay current, hoping SegaGX will get straightened out, along with GearBoy, GearSystem and Frodo.

It has come to my attention many cores since 08-18-23 nightly release, i cannot test because they simply do not function correctly. These include GearBoy, GearSystem, Frodo, VBAM (which i just tested days ago before you made your compiled version available) and a few others. It goes without complaining about the C64 vice cores that have always locked up the Wii or Dolphin.

It would be beautiful to have C64 functioning properly through RA.

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
OP
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
@ploggy @SaulFabre

Thank you both for your efforts, very appreciated.

Testing the vbam core, GB and GBC games run excellent. I would consider vbam on par with VBAGX emulating GBC games, better than anything else.

Running GBA games is hit/miss, some will code dump freeze, requiring hard reset. I don't believe rom size is the issue, only GBA compatibility is not great.

I have the best luck with GBA games forcing Game Boy Advance hardware instead of Auto, and not using Official BIOS.

One last thing to mention... I usually download nightly pack releases every 10-14 days to test and stay current, hoping SegaGX will get straightened out, along with GearBoy, GearSystem and Frodo.

It has come to my attention many cores since 08-18-23 nightly release, i cannot test because they simply do not function correctly. These include GearBoy, GearSystem, Frodo, VBAM (which i just tested days ago before you made your compiled version available) and a few others. It goes without complaining about the C64 vice cores that have always locked up the Wii or Dolphin.

It would be beautiful to have C64 functioning properly through RA.
I think VBA-M Libretro isn't so great, though.
So i prefer for VBA-M cores for Libretro, i just clone official upstream VBA-M https://github.com/visualboyadvance-m/visualboyadvance-m/ and compile the Libretro version.
(Yeah, official VBA-M has supported Libretro platforms since time ago).
Also, upstream official VisualBoyAdvance-M is way better and lot updated rather than Libretro's fork of VBA-M.

About VICE C-64 cores, i didn't test them though.

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just checked buildbot for Wii and noticed that pcsx-reARMed has been added. How long has this core been a part of the Wii build?

I would guess this has to do with all the great work you guys have been putting into WiiSX/WiiStation.
https://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/nintendo/wii/latest/

The other one we need is Not64/Mupen64 Plus.
First seen it maybe 3 weeks ago. Minimal testing but it seems to run pretty well.

_47iscool

Noticer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First seen it maybe 3 weeks ago. Minimal testing but it seems to run pretty well.

This is great.

I was already planning on getting my Wii back out. This confirms it.

Hopefully this core can eventually make it to PS3 as well.

Edit: I downloaded the latest buildbot version. It's unfortunately broken.
I try to load a cue file and it tells me there are no supported cores. I also deleted my config file just to make sure the problem wasn't on my end.

Last edited by _47iscool,

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is great.

I try to load a cue file and it tells me there are no supported cores. I also deleted my config file just to make sure the problem wasn't on my end.
You have the info file for pcsx_rearmed core in the info folder? AND the path set to it in the directory settings?

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is great.

I believe it is an issue on RA side. Many recent tests do the same for me. I have the August 18 nightly that works if you are interested.

_47iscool

Noticer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe it is an issue on RA side. Many recent tests do the same for me. I have the August 18 nightly that works if you are interested.

I am very interested. Thank you very much.

I am one of those who has been wanting pcsxr on RA Wii for a long time.
And yes, you are right. It isn't just that core, it's all of them on the recent buildbot versions.

I did manage to get it to work, but I had to re-copy RA 1.14 back over, load one of its cores such as 2048, and then load the cue to start pcsxr and run a game.

On top of that, the method I was using you cannot save any options correctly.

@ploggy

_47iscool

Noticer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pcsx_rearmed_libretro_wii.dol nightly builds...

Thank you very much.

Edit:

@RunningSnakes
I am unfortunately getting the same issue for both dols. And I made sure to also put the info file in there. It is running uder RA 1.14. Should I try it with RA 1.15?

Edit 2: Upgrading to 1.15 fixed it.

_47iscool

Noticer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes i am using RA 1.15 boot.dol as well, good news you have it working.

RA has become a mess (again) recently, hopefully it is due to 1.16 being released soon and the devs can iron things out.

It was working. Now I can't get it to detect/show any bin or cue.

So I will just go back to 1.14 and use the latter of the two DOL's you provided to me.

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I
It was working. Now I can't get it to detect/show any bin or cue.

So I will just go back to 1.14 and use the latter of the two DOL's you provided to me.

I have a RA-MOD pack distribution i try to keep updated regularly, give me a few minutes to provide the link for you if you are interested.
Post automatically merged:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9h2hktvgyomdt/RA-SS_Modified

Look for RA-Modified...

I only did simple HEX editing to these cores which i believe are the most stable of current RA releases since 1.10.0

Last edited by RunningSnakes,

_47iscool

Noticer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I

I have a RA-MOD pack distribution i try to keep updated regularly, give me a few minutes to provide the link for you if you are interested.
Post automatically merged:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9h2hktvgyomdt/RA-SS_Modified

Look for RA-Modified...

I only did simple HEX editing to these cores which i believe are the most stable of current RA releases since 1.10.0

I got it. Thank you again. But I don't see a pcsx-r core. Will the ones you posted to me work with it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: DAYTONAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!