Homebrew [RetroArch] Nightly builds here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeohopeSTF

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if its been asked before but does the neogeo core need bios files? Glad to see compatibility is up for it!

kenseiden

i am overflow
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UniBIOS is supported up to ver 3.0 and must be in your neogeo.zip. Don't have my neogeo.zip near me at the moment, but if i remember correctly, the files must be named uni-bios*.rom (* being whatever version number it is, such as uni-bios12.rom).

Reactions: daxtsu

mordorer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
WP_20151023_22_47_23_Pro.jpg i cant get past this lots of errors, with some neo geo roms - cia - n3ds

Fatalanus

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Because they are not Neo Geo roms. They are arcade games, but not Neogeo, so they don't work.

EDIT: gpsp.cia: random freeze ingame. I can add that without the bilinear filtering option, this is just ugly. Dust is everywhere, extra pixels are absolutely crazy. And this is annoying because bilinear filtering is blurry for me.

Last edited by Fatalanus,

MunkyLuv

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been watching this thread quite a bit, but seeing as how it moves so fast and has so much info, i just wanted to toss a quick update out there just in case, like myself, it was missed. I'm using a N3ds 10.1 and a Cubic Ninja cart for homebrew. The newest nightly 10/23 Neo Geo .3dsx has seen a nice boost in compatibility. I'm able to now load metal slug X,3,4 as well as KOF2000. Each of these roms will hang for almost a minute, but then load as normal. Metal slug 5, SVC, and KOF2002 still throw an error and lock the system, but we're getting there! Just wanted to throw out a huge THANK YOU to everyone making this happen!

SeongGino

The Average One
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Came to back to, indeed, Neo-Geo finally getting a ROM size compatibility boost.......
Buuuut 3dsx CPS2 had it's graphics renderer broken in the process. Nothing but audio.
But MVSC boots properly now at least. :/

Oh look, and PCE CD loading is now broken too!
Bah...

Last edited by SeongGino,

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just cherry picked the emulators I wanted to update. I've got the new Neo-Geo em and the old CPS2 em, so I'm happy.

By the way, having access to later Neo-Geo games is pretty great. I think CPS2 games run better, but hey, you take what you can get.

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
It's almost useless in o3ds. And btw, dynarec is also available in 9.2+ systems. I can see that option in my 3dsxl 9.9
An option showing up in RetroArch absolutely does not mean that that option functions. Try messing with some settings in the audio menu sometime, most of them literally don't do anything on 3DS.

UniBIOS is supported up to ver 3.0 and must be in your neogeo.zip. Don't have my neogeo.zip near me at the moment, but if i remember correctly, the files must be named uni-bios*.rom (* being whatever version number it is, such as uni-bios12.rom).
Version 3.1 has been supported for a couple of weeks, now. Anyway, people shouldn't need to manually name their BIOS files, if they're getting their neogeo.zip from a reliable source, they should just be included.

Why does overwriting catsfc with a newer version erase the saves for my games?
Can you check your SD card to see if the saves are just being written to the wrong location? This was occurring with a few cores until it was fixed a few days ago; it's possible your saves are still on the SD card but need to be moved. You should also check that the savefiles directory in your retroarch.cfg doesn't have a slash on the end of it, as this apparently causes problems on 3DS.

Reactions: fmkid

Stack3r

Shizuo Heiwajima
Trophies
XP
An option showing up in RetroArch absolutely does not mean that that option functions. Try messing with some settings in the audio menu sometime, most of them literally don't do anything on 3DS.

Version 3.1 has been supported for a couple of weeks, now. Anyway, people shouldn't need to manually name their BIOS files, if they're getting their neogeo.zip from a reliable source, they should just be included.

Can you check your SD card to see if the saves are just being written to the wrong location? This was occurring with a few cores until it was fixed a few days ago; it's possible your saves are still on the SD card but need to be moved. You should also check that the savefiles directory in your retroarch.cfg doesn't have a slash on the end of it, as this apparently causes problems on 3DS.
So you suggest changing my save directory to root? Where does it save by default? Also @NekoMichi said slashes would mess it up if it was in the location so root would be best?

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
So you suggest changing my save directory to root? Where does it save by default? Also @NekoMichi said slashes would mess it up if it was in the location so root would be best?
No, I wouldn't recommend changing save directory to root, that will just make your root messy. The slash issue seems to relate to when there's a slash on the end of the path, not if there's slashes in it anywhere.

My understanding of the way RetroArch works is that if a core fails to detect your save directory correctly, it will drop back to a fallback directory. For a while there was an issue with RetroArch on 3DS not correctly detecting the save directory from the config, so saves were going in the fallback directories. A confusing factor here is that different cores seem to use different directories as their fallback. CatSFC seems to just use the same path the ROM was loaded from (so e.g. it would write Chrono Trigger (USA).srm to the same directory where Chrono Trigger (USA).sfc was found). Nestopia seems to just use the root directory. Mednafen-based cores used the System directory (by default, I believe that that's sdmc:/retroarch/cores/system).

This issue should be fixed in current RetroArch, so cores should be correctly saving your saves to the savefiles directory (should be sdmc:/retroarch/cores/system). But that doesn't mean saves that were written on previous versions before this fix will suddenly be in the correct directory. There's a good chance that your saves aren't gone, you just need to find where RetroArch was (incorrectly) putting them and move them to the savefiles directory.

As always, be careful when overwriting saves with other saves. Don't delete any that you're not certain you don't need.

Reactions: fmkid

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country

No, the bug makes it so that it will always use root as the save directory no matter what folder you set for saves. I think it was fixed in later builds, but not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Now go take a shower @BakerMan . Phew +1