Homebrew RetroArch: Is it possible to use "any" third party USB gamepad?

lordelan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Am I blind, too stupid to use the search bar correctly or is there really no dedicated RetroArch for Wii thread? Only found separate threads for separate problems.

However, I have an old Wii eating dust here and since my sister was looking for one of those cheap stupid chinese retro consoles I figured I can just give it to her (since I have a Wii U and a Switch for myself) and put RetroArch on it.
But as Wiimotes have a bad button layout for things like SNES or Mega Drive games I wonder if RetroArch supports any third party gamepads connected via USB like any of those:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=snes+gamepad+usb&_sacat=0

Because I can get my hands on many of them for free (from a buddy of mine) and thus my sister could avoid having to buy classic controllers for her Wiimotes.

Has anybody tested this?

stol1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I have read that up to a certain version some usb gamepads were working (1.7.6?) but didn't test myself.

lordelan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have read that up to a certain version some usb gamepads were working (1.7.6?) but didn't test myself.
Hm I tested using SNES USB Gamepads (third party stuff from ebay) on 1.9.0 and they were not recognized. :(

lordelan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Did you set input driver to hid?
Ah, that might do the trick lol. I only went to Port 1 Controls and looked up the options for Device Index. Will give it another shot, thank you! =)

Muliro

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You will also need the autoconfig file,probably will work.

Muliro

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It worked for me after i put the .cfg file and the driver for my adapter.
I got the driver from here:
https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/tree/master/input/connect
And the .cfg file from here:
https://github.com/libretro/retroar.../262e0f57bd9b8a4b736ef35b957be93d40ac590d/hid

I made a hid folder in both retroarch folders,the one in the root of the sd and the one in the apps folder,and I put the autoconfig file in both them and in the autoconfig folder in the apps/retroarch-wii.

Works fine BUT everytime I load or close a rom i need tounplug/plug the usb cable :/

Reactions: lordelan

lordelan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It worked for me after i put the .cfg file and the driver for my adapter.
I got the driver from here:
https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/tree/master/input/connect
And the .cfg file from here:
https://github.com/libretro/retroar.../262e0f57bd9b8a4b736ef35b957be93d40ac590d/hid

I made a hid folder in both retroarch folders,the one in the root of the sd and the one in the apps folder,and I put the autoconfig file in both them and in the autoconfig folder in the apps/retroarch-wii.

Works fine BUT everytime I load or close a rom i need tounplug/plug the usb cable :/
Oh wow, thx for the nice answer!

Reactions: Muliro

LDB91

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Bump, having a hard time with this.

I'm using RA 1.7.5 on my Wii. I have input driver set to gx and joypad driver set to hid. Tried a retrolink/retro-bit generic Saturn pad, and a Dualshock 3, neither work when I reboot Retroarch after setting the joypad driver to hid. I tried unplugging and plugging in the controllers after the program had booted, no dice. I tested both controllers on my computer, both are working fine. My PS3 controller lights come on and start charging when I plug it into the wii, so I don't -think- it's a hardware issue.

I also tried the newest RA Wii but that didn't get me much further. With that, the controllers both worked... but only the dpad/left analog stick.

Another wrinkle is that if I start Retroarch with the PS3 controller plugged in, it black-screens and does not load the menu. If I reboot and load it again without the PS3 controller, it loads fine, but still the controller still does nothing when I plug it in.

My SD card presently looks like:

SD:\apps\retroarch wii\autoconfig\hid - with the pack of .cfg files in there

As per the recommendation of a user in this thread I went overkill and just put the cfg folder anywhere it could possibly go, so I have it in the root retroarch folder as well, like:

SD:\retroarch\config\hid
SD:\retroarch\config\autoconfig\hid
SD:\retroarch\autoconfig\hid
SD:\retroarch\hid

as well as dumping the .cfgs in the parent autoconfig/config folders, etc.

I'm at a bit of a loss on what to do here, any help is appreciated.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Biomutant looks cool tho, may have to try that
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @BigOnYa...