Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

d12unk13astard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So im assuming for all those fortunate enough to have arm9loader running, they are able to experience better FPS and stability/playability am i correct. This is running pretty good for me on my N3ds on 9.2 i have gatewaycard and run reinand/RXtools 10.6 emunand. Only wish the ps1 ran at a steady 30/45 fps instead of going back and forth between 59-20fps on my setup.

democracy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Arm9loaderhax has no effect on fps or performance, it's purely another way to run exploits.
Correct, but, while we are on the topic of better performance, AuReiNand recent fw releases do now allow homebrew to utilize roughly 200mb of RAM. If homebrew is written to utilize this, it should improve performance. Anyone know if this is being looked at yet?

Reactions: sj33

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Correct, but, while we are on the topic of better performance, AuReiNand recent fw releases do now allow homebrew to utilize roughly 200mb of RAM. If homebrew is written to utilize this, it should improve performance. Anyone know if this is being looked at yet?
I can't really think of any emulators that would benefit from that much more RAM. Maybe PCSX if it's designed to use a caching system, but that would only help load times.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

There's not really a lot to look at, it's a minor change in the RSF file that goes into generating the CIA. But until all of the CFWs support this mode, there's not a lot of point forcing the CIA builds of MAME and FBA to use it, since not everyone uses AuReinand. If you know how to compile RetroArch though, it's not difficult at all to make CIA builds that run on that mode.

Stack3r

Shizuo Heiwajima
OP
Trophies
XP
Did anyone findout how to set a determined hz per second? So running a game in 30fps instead of the default 59 to see if it shows better results?

Chris_Highwind

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so I recently got a New 3DS and I want to know, what's the best core out of the SNES cores? I'm currently using a mixture of CatSFC and the new Virtual Console injections for my Super Nintendo games, but I'm not sure if RetroArch has a better SNES core. I've tried PocketSNES, but as soon as I start a 1-player game on SMB3 on All-Stars, the controls stop working. Is there a fix for this?

EDIT: Also, I have SMA4 patched to have the eShop levels as a test ROM for gPSP, and after several minutes of play, the system completely looks up and I have to hard-reboot my N3DS.

I am running 9.2 sysnand with 10.6 emunand (Reinand) on a New 3DS using cia builds of RetroArch

Last edited by Chris_Highwind,

kenseiden

i am overflow
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The thing with SMB All Stars on CatSFC or PocketSNES is that it somehow thinks player one's controls are on the player two side. CatSFC has the solution for this with the "swap joypads" option in the core options menu, but PocketSNES has no such feature. By default, you're pretty much stuck to using CatSFC if you want to play All Stars on Retroarch.

Flusteredcustard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm running the 3/6 .cia nightly for Pocketsnes, which is the only one that can run chip enhanced games at speed, but it can't do transparency in Kirby's Dreamland 3. Is there a version that can? I know CatsFC does transparency, but it's slow as heck. And SNES9X Next doesn't render transparency properly, AND it's slow.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
^No, it's almost certainly a limitation of the older version of Snes9x that PocketSNES is based on. It's faster for a reason.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
None of the Donkey Kong Country games are chip enhanced.

Kirby uses the SA1 enhancement chip, so I guess it would have to injected into another game that uses the SA1. Are you sure CATSFC is too slow? I know Dragon Ball Z: Hyper Dimension (another SA1 game) works fine. Only SuperFX games should be too slow.

Reactions: cvskid

Flusteredcustard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure CATSFC is too slow? I know Dragon Ball Z: Hyper Dimension (another SA1 game) works fine. Only SuperFX games should be too slow.
Absolutely. I don't know if my video settings are bad or what, but without pocketsnes I'm hitting like 30-45 FPS with KD3, on N3DS no less. It might actually be CATSFC Plus, but I don't know how much of a huge difference that would make. I'll try the other one and report back.

EDIT: On regular CATSFC, I've got 15 FPS. On the TITLE SCREEN. 13 in the level, while kirby's standing still and nothing is happening. I guess I overestimated that FPS number from before. Transparency works, though.

DOUBLE EDIT: Kirby Superstar, another SA1 game, does slightly better. 30 FPS during action, 60 on pause screens and the like. Also runs at a solid 60 at all times on pocketsnes.

Last edited by Flusteredcustard,

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Kirby 3 does seem funky. I just tried it and I get 1.04fps in CATSFC! Yet PocketSnes plays the game at 60fps and other SA-1 games seem to be fine. Weird.

Reactions: SLiV3R

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Kirby 3 does seem funky. I just tried it and I get 1.04fps in CATSFC! Yet PocketSnes plays the game at 60fps and other SA-1 games seem to be fine. Weird.

I have noticed the same behaviour. There are two Parodius Japanese exclusive games that runs fullspeed in PocketSNES, but like 10 fps in catsfc :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87 cents. Free shipping from China... It arrived it works and honestly I don't understand how it was so cheap.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87...