Homebrew RetroArch 3DS: Full speed PS1 now possible with PCSX ReARMed w/ Unai renderer!

Blakeoramo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Frogger (1997) runs at full-speed when V-Sync/Bilinear Filtering/Dithering/Fast Lighting/Sound Reverb/Sound Interpolation/CD Audio are set to off and either Frameskip set to 2 or Forced Interlace (seems to only work sometimes without a "ghost image") and Frameskip set to 1 and the game running as a .chd file.

Spyro 1 I got nearly full-speed using similar settings, except don't use Forced Interlace and have V-Sync on. I think the 3 Speed hacks might help too. The Crash 3 demo runs even better than Spyro

And for Star Wars: Jedi Power Battles it is imperative you enable the 3 speed hacks for it to run at a playable framerate as well as V-Sync. Do not used forced Interlace for this one either

Disabling menu stuff and the bottom screen gives performance an extremely negligible boost. Mess with the frame skip a bit too. Also have advanced options enabled for the graphics plugin specific speed boosts

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I re-installed the 24/09 build, which supposedly has updated unai that irons out some bugs, such as garbled text in some games.
I've now made a fresh install of the core, i didn't play with any of the options: so it's tye normal config with only unai enabled under options.
Unai settings: blending and lihting on, the rest is off.
I've deleted the save state and just loaded the game and went straight to the city map.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I've deleted the config files, just to be sure, and loaded FFT to give it a shot. As soon as the gampelay hits, it drops to 30fps without changing the unai settings for lighting. I just don't know how some people are getting above 60 frames in some games :ninja:
And you don't have vsync active right? FFT runs 60 fps for me in combats, though spells make it drop pretty badly to 30fps.

For Parasite Eve I'll have to get to that point in game to tell you whether the fps drops or not.

I'd completely forgotten that save stating ruins the frame rate.

That did it. I was using the same bios i use for everything not realising that they don't work with retroarch. Thank you.
Glad it was solved so easily!

Reactions: cvskid

Doczu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
And you don't have vsync active right? FFT runs 60 fps for me in combats, though spells make it drop pretty badly to 30fps.

For Parasite Eve I'll have to get to that point in game to tell you whether the fps drops or not.
V-Sync is by default on. I did play with it earlier and it didn't give any noticable change in speed.

D

Deleted-481927

I re-installed the 24/09 build, which supposedly has updated unai that irons out some bugs, such as garbled text in some games.
I've now made a fresh install of the core, i didn't play with any of the options: so it's tye normal config with only unai enabled under options.
Unai settings: blending and lihting on, the rest is off.
I've deleted the save state and just loaded the game and went straight to the city map.

I've deleted the config files, just to be sure, and loaded FFT to give it a shot. As soon as the gampelay hits, it drops to 30fps without changing the unai settings for lighting. I just don't know how some people are getting above 60 frames in some games :ninja:
i turn dithering off

also bilinear filtering

make sure audio resampler is nearest

Reactions: Doczu

Doczu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
i turn dithering off

also bilinear filtering

make sure audio resampler is nearest

Thabks for the advice. I've changed the settings you mentioned and both PE and FFT run a lot better.

PE on the map has a minor slowdown when the map loads, but thed gets up to 60 and mostly holds it.

FFT went from 30 to ~45 in gameplay. I think i still have to turn lighting off to make it get to 60.

This stuff is promising and deep inside i hope it will get to stable and playable 60.

D

Deleted-481927

Thabks for the advice. I've changed the settings you mentioned and both PE and FFT run a lot better.

PE on the map has a minor slowdown when the map loads, but thed gets up to 60 and mostly holds it.

FFT went from 30 to ~45 in gameplay. I think i still have to turn lighting off to make it get to 60.

This stuff is promising and deep inside i hope it will get to stable and playable 60.
yw idk if it would work thats what i did w the old ps1 emu so

and so do i itd be awesome

JhonSmith

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

Attachments

• 2019-09-29_12-21-08.781_top.bmp
    281.3 KB · Views: 183
  • 2019-09-29_12-21-28.051_top.bmp
    281.3 KB · Views: 103
  • 2019-09-29_12-21-53.525_top.bmp
    281.3 KB · Views: 185
  • 2019-09-29_12-22-12.261_top.bmp
    281.3 KB · Views: 114
  • 2019-09-29_12-22-39.023_top.bmp
    281.3 KB · Views: 183
  • 2019-09-29_12-23-56.686_top.bmp
    281.3 KB · Views: 158
  • 2019-09-29_12-24-19.815_top.bmp
    281.3 KB · Views: 215
D

Deleted-481927

Ok a few things:

In audio turn sync to off

In drivers make audio resampler "nearest"

In the last picture, turn sound Reverb off, Turn sound interpolation off.

Make sure in the quick menu vibration (in all games) is off, and try with the game you are playing to turn dithering off.

Try frameskip 1 if needed

Make sure you're using .pbp/.chd files

Turn CD Audio Off

Turn XA Decoding Off

You have a n3ds/n3dsxl/n2dsxl right? if so go into luma (l+ down dpad + select) click new 3ds menu and make sure l2 cache + 804mhz is enabled

Try playing with the gpu settings and speed hacks too if needed

Best of luck!

Last edited by , , Reason: Grammar

JhonSmith

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Ok a few things:

In the last picture, turn sound Reverb off, Turn sound interpolation off

Make sure in the quick menu vibration (in all games) is off, and try w the game ur playing to turn dithering off.

try frameskip 1 if needed

you have a n3ds/n3dsxl/n2dsxl right? if so go into luma (l+ down dpad + select) click new 3ds menu and make sure l2 cache + 804mhz is enabled

try playing w the gpu settings and speed hacks too if needed

best of luck!

ALSO MAKE SURE YOU ARE USING .PBPS OR .CHD

make sure you turn CD audio off too iirc

also idk xa decoding so try turning that off[/QUO

I`m going to try what you said, but a last question: when i put the game, appears a message saiyng that i don´t have a bios. This is related whit .PBPS or .cdh? and where can i find the files and put in the sd directory?

Ok a few things:

In the last picture, turn sound Reverb off, Turn sound interpolation off

Make sure in the quick menu vibration (in all games) is off, and try w the game ur playing to turn dithering off.

try frameskip 1 if needed

you have a n3ds/n3dsxl/n2dsxl right? if so go into luma (l+ down dpad + select) click new 3ds menu and make sure l2 cache + 804mhz is enabled

try playing w the gpu settings and speed hacks too if needed

best of luck!

ALSO MAKE SURE YOU ARE USING .PBPS OR .CHD

make sure you turn CD audio off too iirc

also idk xa decoding so try turning that off

I`m going to try what you said, but a last question: when i put the game, appears a message saiyng that i don´t have a bios. This is related whit .PBPS or .cdh? and where can i find the files and put in the sd directory?

D

Deleted-481927

Ok so there is a HLE bios (not as good as the official PS1 bios, but you don't need to worry about that rn, unless for some reason its not letting you run .chd or .pbp files)

.pbp and .chd are a form of PS1 .bins/.cues compressed and they run MUCH MUCH better on this emulator - so either convert your playstation 1 games into them or get them.

D

Deleted-481927

PCSX rearmed is not showing up in the suggested cores folder when I select my .chd file.
dw ab it (unless when you open the .chd file it crashes or smth)

open retroarch click load core and find pcsx rearmed (skip that step if u have pcsx rearmed on ur home screen, just click it) and it will load pcsx rearmed. click load content -> sd card name -> find ur rom

MyJoyConRunsHot

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
dw ab it (unless when you open the .chd file it crashes or smth)

open retroarch click load core and find pcsx rearmed (skip that step if u have pcsx rearmed on ur home screen, just click it) and it will load pcsx rearmed. click load content -> sd card name -> find ur rom
I have the pcsx .cia installed on my home screen. I even selected pcsx rearmed in "load core" just to be sure. Still, when I go into load content > sd card > click .chd rom, it prompts me with a "suggested cores" screen.

Edit: Nvm. I've got it to work after replacing the entire retroarch folder and reinstalling .cia to the home screen. Must've been using a pre-1.4.0 build, I guess.
Anyway, following all of samhhhhh's settings above, the Spyro games seemed to have gained maybe 5-7fps over before. Spyro 3 seems to have gone from around 25fps to 33fps. Still slow, but very playable.

Last edited by MyJoyConRunsHot,
Reactions: Deleted-481927

Blakeoramo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone have a problem where if you enable BIOS the controls straight ouy give you a controller disconnected error? Also I can't seem to get LSD Dream Emulator to run in the new core no matter what file format I convert it to. It used to run as a bin/cue on the older slower graphics core for me on Retroarch 3DS though. Fullspeed too.

D

Deleted-481927

I have the pcsx .cia installed on my home screen. I even selected pcsx rearmed in "load core" just to be sure. Still, when I go into load content > sd card > click .chd rom, it prompts me with a "suggested cores" screen.

Edit: Nvm. I've got it to work after replacing the entire retroarch folder and reinstalling .cia to the home screen. Must've been using a pre-1.4.0 build, I guess.
Anyway, following all of samhhhhh's settings above, the Spyro games seemed to have gained maybe 5-7fps over before. Spyro 3 seems to have gone from around 25fps to 33fps. Still slow, but very playable.
I see this as an absolute win

but anyway im sure itll be optimised

w the settings i tried i can say these games run GREAT ON N3DS:

Final Fantasy VII (runs decent asf in O3DS mode cuz its an rpg) in .chd - tl;dr runs amazing
Final Fantasy Tactics .chd
Resident Evil .chd
Silent Hill .chd
Crash Bandicoot (40 - 60 fps, a LOT MORE STABLE and very playable)
Resident Evil 2

Games that don't work:
Metal Gear Solid would not boot in pbp or chd for me - that might be my files, i will get some new ones

This is all using the HLE bios btw

Also im glad its playable

I'm amazed at this emulator and I cant wait for more optimisation

Reactions: MyJoyConRunsHot

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Yummy yummy :rofl2: