Hacking Restoring emunand to sysnand - out of the scene for 4 years

Click This

Surgite!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all-- hopefully this isn't too nooby a question. I haven't really touched my 3DS's for the better part of 3-4 years; my NA and JP console emunands are on 10.6.0-31U and 11.3.0-36J respectively... so it's been a while.

For some stupid reason, I transferred my main NNID/ ambassador account to my US emunand years ago, and I want it back stock. It's on Reinand for 10.6.0-31U, and 9.1U for the sysnand, but I can't for the life of me remember which hacks I used for it, or the names. All I know is that it automatically boots up to a white menu that gives the option for reinand or rxtools, and then auto boots into Reinand. I remember enough that it's the exploit where if you press down on the right key on the dpad that it boots back into sysnand.

What exactly can I do to get my emunand back as a sysnand properly these days?

I'd like to avoid getting it banned if possible --it hasn't been used since 2016, but I heard there was a banwave in 2018. I mostly only ever used emunand for region free, but FBI is installed and I've gone online to buy stuff with emunand before, and I accidentally went online and downloaded an update when I booted up my 3DS for the first time last week.

(Reposted this, accidentally dropped it in the Switch forum.)

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What you can do is you could backup your game save, and setup Boot9Strap and Luma3DS on your Sysnand. Do a NAND backup of your Emunand and transfer that NAND to your Sysnand. ReiNand and rxtool are so outdated, as the scene doesn't support it.

https://3ds.hacks.guide/get-started

Follow this based on your Sysnand Firmware.

Last edited by Hayato213,

Click This

Surgite!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What you can do is you could backup your game save, and setup Boot9Strap and Luma3DS on your Sysnand. Do a NAND backup of your Emunand and transfer that NAND to your Sysnand. ReiNand and rxtool are so outdated, as the scene doesn't support it.

Thanks for the advice. Wouldn't a straight NAND transfer to the sysnand cause problems if it still has FBI, though? I forgot to mention that I still have a Gateway card and a spare US 3DS. Would it also be possible to simply do the backup/transfer with Gateway, or update the emunand to the current update and do a system transfer, or are those methods too updated or risky for that these days?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the advice. Wouldn't a straight NAND transfer to the sysnand cause problems if it still has FBI, though? I forgot to mention that I still have a Gateway card and a spare US 3DS. Would it also be possible to simply do the backup/transfer with Gateway, or update the emunand to the current update and do a system transfer, or are those methods too updated or risky for that these days?

Follow the guide I link above, you would want to avoid Gateway now a day. Once you setup CFW , use Godmode9 to backup your emunand and do a NAND transfer to Sysnand. You could just backup your save data if you want to do a clean setup.

Click This

Surgite!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Follow the guide I link above, you would want to avoid Gateway now a day. Once you setup CFW , use Godmode9 to backup your emunand and do a NAND transfer to Sysnand. You could just backup your save data if you want to do a clean setup.

Thanks. Gave the guide a quick read through. Considering that I'm not sure of which exploits I used previously, would be necessary wise to just drop all the new files into my sd card with all the old stuff like the guide suggested?

I'm also reading that boot9strap can't really be removed safely after installing it. Will that affect my goal of getting this thing completely stock at all?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks. Gave the guide a quick read through. Considering that I'm not sure of which exploits I used previously, would be necessary wise to just drop all the new files into my sd card with all the old stuff like the guide suggested?

I'm also reading that boot9strap can't really be removed safely after installing it. Will that affect my goal of getting this thing completely stock at all?

Yea as long you take note what is Rxtool/ReiNand stuffs you should be fine, you can remove Rxtool/ReiNAND files afterward. Your goal is to get to B9S, not to remove it afteward, basically Boot9strap replace ReiNand and Rxtool.

Click This

Surgite!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea as long you take note what is Rxtool/ReiNand stuffs you should be fine, you can remove Rxtool/ReiNAND files afterward. Your goal is to get to B9S, not to remove it afteward, basically Boot9strap replace ReiNand and Rxtool.

My goal is to get this 3DS completely free of exploits and modifications and minimize though; I want to leave anything I want to mess with in the future to my hardmodded Japanese 3DS.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My goal is to get this 3DS completely free of exploits and modifications and minimize though; I want to leave anything I want to mess with in the future to my hardmodded Japanese 3DS.

Well hardmodded is pretty much pointless these days, due to the NTRboothax can restore bricked NAND, you still need CFW if you want to transfer NAND around, plus without CFW those games you installed wouldn't work. If you want to go clean then just purchase your games.

Click This

Surgite!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well hardmodded is pretty much pointless these days, due to the NTRboothax can restore bricked NAND, you still need CFW if you want to transfer NAND around, plus without CFW those games you installed wouldn't work. If you want to go clean then just purchase your games.

I do purchase my games! I have a nice physical collection. As I said, my only original purpose for hacking was breaking region restrictions. I want to uninstall everything, including all my .3ds files, which looks like it's just FBI.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do purchase my games! I have a nice physical collection. As I said, my only original purpose for hacking was breaking region restrictions. I want to uninstall everything, including all my .3ds files, which looks like it's just FBI.

If you really want to go clean as possible then transfer your NAND to Sysnand and then uninstall all the games you installed and uninstall CFW I guess.

Click This

Surgite!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you really want to go clean as possible then transfer your NAND to Sysnand and then uninstall all the games you installed and uninstall CFW I guess.

Well, alright.

I seen to have come to a snag though. I did a dry run by following the guide with my Japanese N3DS. I followed it to a T up until after configuring Luma3DS. It got an "exception occurred" error, which the guide says I might get, so I took a look at the finalizing page. I've downloaded all the things required onto my sd card, but I'm still getting "an exception occurred" with a data abort exception and a translation fault on the menu current process.

If I take out the SD card and try to turn it on, the 3ds pulses the blue light and turns off, even if I press select.

Got any ideas?

Last edited by Click This,

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, alright.

I seen to have come to a snag though. I did a dry run by following the guide with my Japanese N3DS. I followed it to a T up until after configuring Luma3DS. It got an "exception occurred" error, which the guide says I might get, so I took a look at the finalizing page. I've downloaded all the things required onto my sd card, but I'm still getting "an exception occurred" with a data abort exception and a translation fault on the menu current process.

If I take out the SD card and try to turn it on, the 3ds pulses the blue light and turns off, even if I press select.

Got any ideas?

Doesnt seem like it want to boot your emunand transferred NAND if that what you did.

Click This

Surgite!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
'Data abort exception' and 'translation fault' sounds like Luma3DS errors, which menas your Japanese n3DS has custom firmware.

Clearing the Home Menu extdata did the trick. I had to do it with my US console too. Had a couple hitches because the SD card on one of them crapped out after a format, but got that solved and both 3DSs are on current CFW now. Thanks for the help guys.

On another note, I'm not really a big fan of the US 3DS XL I currently have. If I ended up buying a regular size N3DS, would there be any problems with system transferring?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your SD card(s) are crapping out, you should assess their hardware condition for long term data reliability. You don't want your games & saves randomly corrupting or self deleting.

After backing up or transferring EmuNAND → SysNAND has been sorted out, check if your SD card is fake, faulty, or dying.
  1. Copy everything off the SD card to a computer.
  2. Quadruple reformat.
  3. Full Write + Verify the empty card in H2testw. Do not skip.

System Transfer that involves New 3DS models between different regions is supposedly possible but extremely difficult.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Click This

Surgite!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, got the SD card mostly sorted out. I wanted to upgrade my storage space so I cracked out a 64GB Sandisk, but that one was a dud right out of the box. Failed out of H2testw almost instantly when I went to check. I just went back to my original card and that's fine.

I was actually intending a straight US N3DS XL to a US N3DS Black Friday edition or whatever you call it. Since it's not a cross region transfer, it should just act as a regular transfer, right?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, got the SD card mostly sorted out. I wanted to upgrade my storage space so I cracked out a 64GB Sandisk, but that one was a dud right out of the box. Failed out of H2testw almost instantly when I went to check. I just went back to my original card and that's fine.

I was actually intending a straight US N3DS XL to a US N3DS Black Friday edition or whatever you call it. Since it's not a cross region transfer, it should just act as a regular transfer, right?

How to perform a System Transfer without losing non-legitimate titles
  • Before you do that, read further below about backing DSiWare CIAs & Saves.

If you don't want to move the NNID or user profile to another 3DS system, you can elect to copy or clone the Nintendo 3DS folder. (Does not cover DSiWare titles; see the above link's further down post regarding that).

See my signature for replacement microSD cards. Most of those Amazon listings have card series in different sizes. H2testw check newly bought card before using.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Now go take a shower @BakerMan . Phew +1