ROM Hack [RELEASED] Blood of Bahamut English Patch

Aaron Chmielowiec

Wielder of the 4 sacred cheeses
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
You're welcome (from all those involved, of course)

So yes, on that strategy guide. It's the endless rush of busy-work and search/replace in lots and lots of tables comparing with the actual game. I did notice along the way there were a couple spelling issues and an issue with the lottery when you receive your prize (many many spaces between the item name and "was obtained". I left too much white space in between those two parts when shifting from double byte to single byte; I can fix that up easily enough. Anyway, since I blab a lot and people probably want to see what I'm doing. (I can beautify it later once all the info. is in place)

EDIT> And the more I look at all the items part by part, comparing them against the original Japanese there are some inconsistencies in there and some direct romanized words (e.g. Shiva's Ukifune. It refers to Shiva's float or floating dock in the same way Gilgamesh has one as well, I'm wondering if it should be "grenade" in place of "bomb", the "cannons" on Gilgamesh's float are sometimes called "batteries" in some synth screens, etc.) I may touch those up as well afterwards.

Vd7f80n.png

pazKNIM.png

Aaron Chmielowiec

Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Ok, this is just as much for my own reference as it is a notice on some translation issues. I'm still only about halfway through the item/weapon/armor/panacea list but I've noticed a number of issues. If anyone else has any input it is welcome, of course. This is planned for the next update.

- There is "Ukifune/Ukibune" used to refer to Shiva's float. Gilgamesh's float is called simply a "float". I was going to change it all to just "float"

- The cannon on Ifrit's/Beelzebub's back is actually a volcano, but should it be called a volcano as such like it is now (Ifrit's Volcano) or should I change it to Cannon? The original Japanese says volcano but even then that seems weird as such in both languages.

- Similarly, the grenades at his waist are called "bombs" in some variants. A grenade is a kind of "bakudan" (bomb) so I see where that comes from, but I think it is better to just call them grenades.

- Vanargand and other variants are like Fenrir's body except it had a giant horn "sword" on it's forehead. It's called a horn, horn sword and sword in different parts of the item file. I would think horn or horn sword should be fine.

- There are many small inconsistencies (great sword vs. greatsword, brow vs. forehead, forefoot vs. fore paw, waist vs. hip vs. lung in some spots, eye vs. eyes, etc.)

- A number of weapons are just the romanized name in some cases. I'm wondering whether or not to change it to something in English instead of leaving so many Japanese names/titles in there.

- Kamo's weapon type is referred to as hammer and axe in different places.

That's about it for now. I'm still working through the guide and some info I just do not have and can't find online (the S rank times and damage allowed for every mission). I also need to add in the ability tables for each character, but I don't know the stats at each level of each ability. Maybe I'll use a money/item cheat and start a new game to find that out.

I don't mind sharing the guide if others want to help complete it once I have the base translation in place.

Aaron Chmielowiec

Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Okay, I'm still not done yet but I'm getting to a point where the missing data/stats is starting to stand out more than any missing translation. I'll leave a pre-release copy here is crappy docx format if anyone wants to help. It hasn't be beautified yet, so don't worry about that quite yet. If you want to redesign it all, fine, but remember there is other info that has to go in there so it might change things.

When it is done I might make a pdf and include that with the patch...just a thought, anyway.

Remember that the translations are subject to change as I mentioned in my posts above. (Consistency issues and some odd translations). I'm only putting in what is currently in the game for the moment.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/lacr4nji1j2bjjv/Blood+of+Bahamut+Strategy.docx

Aaron Chmielowiec

Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
All right, I touched up the guide again (same link : http://www.mediafire.com/download/lacr4nji1j2bjjv/Blood of Bahamut Strategy.docx )

I also fixed a number of small spacing and spelling errors (lots of consistency errors and odd translations as I have mentioned before) and tested the guide contents. I'm still missing some data/values and I haven't formatted it yet to look nice, but the guide is coming together and the game looks better, anyway.

If you want to try out the next version (I haven't really done it myself so much), you can try it here.

*EDIT* One thing I did notice is that there are a number of swords that refer to Japanese mythology, particularly: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Totsuka-no-Tsurugi
...but I'm pretty sure all that is lost in translation to the West since I don't think you study that in schools there.

If your flash cart/NDS Black screens or white screens, update your firmware and/or make sure to try RetroGameFan's Multi Cart Patch utility - http://gbatemp.net/threads/retrogamefan-updates-releases.267243/

Here are some random screenshots. I notice now I didn't take a pic with the fixed "Beelzebub's Soul" label. I did fix it; I just forgot to take a pic with that in it.

WyJMYJl.png
gsedEiY.png

This was changed after some discussion with other users. I thought the original was too Engrishy anyway.

rjY6aMH.png
QnBuRcl.png

Aaron Chmielowiec

Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Heh, you know, I totally forgot we can edit the credits scroll, too. I noticed an odd newline character in the mission descriptions that was broken so I fixed it again, though I'm having a feeling of deja vu with that issue, like I fixed this one before... Anyway, I have yet to completely fix up the strategy guide but it's shaping up nicely with Patuli's help as he figures out the S Rank values. I'm still writing up the tips on how to make the Behemoth behave certain ways so you can get some rare materials (or, harder to obtain anyway)

As usual I'll keep a running experimental version of the patch up. This is the latest. Again, make sure to try out retrogamefan's multi-patch utility if you are having trouble.

EDIT> It behaves almost corrently but some text just isn't appearing and that last line is off center despite it being aligned in the file; when I tried moving it over 1 character the whole line disappeared...I'll just battle with it for a while.

KZEV8g8.png

Aaron Chmielowiec

Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Okay, thanks to retrogamefan I think the weird missing corner in the Abilities screen and the missing "WAIT" label is now fixed. Here is a quick before/after: (at different spell levels; I was messing around)

BHKY4E1.png
DtvNKNN.png

All that should be left bug-wise is that 1st ending after the last story mission where it only shows the first of 3 pages of text. It's set to have the basic info in a single page anyway right now but that is just a workaround.

Here, you can give it a whirl with this:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/5xc2dhd2clq21cr/bahamut1.04.rar

Auryn

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
By the way, i had another breakthru with the graphics after i send you the PM Aaron but I never got to finish the work.
Or I was travelling around or work late (take today as example: i should finish work at 5pm but it's 8pm and i am still at the office).
I will send you the things as soon a i have finished them.
Seeing that you are still changing things, make me feel a little bit better :P

@hacko: did you find something new about those buttons or the touchscreen??

Aaron Chmielowiec

Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
hackotedelaplaqu> There is actually a bizarre limit in the menu.dtx file with some of the labels. If it is over 5 full-width characters (and one, "WAIT " must be in caps for some weird reason), the last line in the ability screen will not appear *and* that blank square problem happens)

Auryn> Thanks a lot. I've mostly worked on the strategy guide (Patuli has been checking all the Behemoth stats; still a bunch to check) but along the way I found a number of translation issues (small things) and consistency problems. While doing that I had some offers of help with getting the game to run on older flash carts and the like. Along the way that strange ability problem was figured out, so right now we are working on the ending sequence where only 1 of the final 3 pages is displayed. The final page was reworked so the base info. was all on one page but it would be nice to have all 3 pages in full as they originally were.

Oh yes, for that 1 page at the first ending instead of 3...issue, here is what is happening (though it hasn't been fixed as 3 pages yet; just a single page workaround).

Since I guess it is a spoiler (not much so since it just says you have more to do after the main game) I'll put it in a spoiler tag:

For those 3 pages at the end of mission 7-5, we have the following text:
The lost pieces of the past and
future are locked within Purgatory。
(new page)
All roads lead here。
People will embrace their dreams
and follow their path to the future。
(new page)
The will of the fallen。
Clearly I can feel their
breath even here。(long dash)。

Since only the first page is displayed in English (confirmed it works fine in Japanese :/ ) and it basically says "our work is not yet done", it currently says:

And so they all set out、seeking
that which is locked in Purgatory。

Okay, it's been a long weekend (Tokyo Game Show), and I've been busy with other things, too but along with retrogamefan we managed to get the problems with the messed up Abilitiy screen and the ending fixed (all 3 pages show up when you beat mission 7-5). I also just now fixed a slight problem with the name entry screen.

Right now I have a bunch of suggestions to change the text in the menus so I'm going over that and putting the changes in where appropriate. Once that is done I'll put out a new patch.

Okay, I made a new patch, though since it's been a long day here I went ahead and just bundled the almost-but-not-quite-ready for primetime strategy guide (PDF) with the patch this time.

The patch should fix all the above mentioned issues. If this turns out to be the case, all that might be left is tweaking the name entry screen and maybe check some of those names I shortened to see if there is any way to nicely display them in full.

In any case this is the latest build. Feel free to give it a go:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/3hgw71hu8u1qfu9/bahamut1.05.rar

If it messes up for you or anything I'll take a look at it again in the morning.

RikuKH

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Hi, finally made an account. Tried the game, showed it to 3 of my friends already and it's been FUN. Beating down those behemoths is just so oddly satisfying. You would think the game is repetitive, but it feels nothing like that.

Aaron Chmielowiec

Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Glad you liked it!

(I was thinking someone found a game crashing bug or something)

I'm still working on this (mostly the guide). The experimental (?) 1.05 patch is working pretty well right now though and that is good news. I still have to polish up the guide (and not all the values have been checked) and the name entry screen could use some cleaning up but it is all good.

/me also asked to work on a Digimon (Lost Evolution) game so I've blasted through quite a bit of that this week, too.

Aaron Chmielowiec

Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Oops, didn't get a chance to post.

In 1.07 it fixes some of the descriptions of the weapons/items, rewords a bunch of the Tutorial as well as fixes a re-introduced bug when synthing the Claims Solais and Mjolnir (Greatsword and Axe/Hammer respectively. The ending (1st ending) was slightly reworded as well.

EDIT> Patuli has also been checking all the stats and figures in the included strategy guide.

Also, this new version uses the same game CRC as the Japanese ROM (same with cheats), so there shouldn't be any further need for that AP patch.

The last major thing left is the name entry screen. It works but it's proving to be a pain to modify.

bejiman

Trophies
XP
Country
Just DLed the 1.07 and read the tips part of the guide

A faster EXP grind is story mission 5-2. Just attack the ice on her back with piercing OR the armor between her legs to knock the fan off. This gives 1200 or 1400 EXP can be done in 12 secs with Ren. After this, you can do the same with Beelz and knock off his grenades for 2100 EXP. I forgot the exact EXP given when you obtain S rank for both missions but I hope this helps in grinding characters you want to build.

Also Mind Shot is homing when charged to the max. :)

Aaron Chmielowiec

Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
I like users like you. You find all these little one and outs and help make the game experience better for all.

Patuli and I are updating the guide and I'll put your tips in there, too. We are still checking on exact S rank values for the main story missions.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Andy didn't get any catholic toys because they wouldn't go limp when they saw him