Hacking [Release][v.1.5.1] Sky Army Knife - a Sky3DS Template Tool

Xive

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
It does not detect Final Fantasy Explorers. Not sure about other new games that was added to template on 30 Jan. Anyone have same issue with it?

Fil o_O

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So, I've been playing around with SkyArmy Knife for a couple of days now and went through the whole thread.

I tried to patch a ROM that I backuped from my own game. Using NoBanNoSky didn't work, so I went ahead and tried SkyArmyKnife - I did so many things that I cannot really remember what I ended up doing, but now it works.

I'm now trying to trace my steps and one odd thing I noticed is the

Q 1 ) "Mystery Byte" - what is it? Is it important? I patched two roms and used 00 both times. The ROMs were 1. my own Pokemon AS. the 2. one was Pokemon X, for which I used a Mario Golf world tour header.

When I load the header.bin file in skyarmyknife, it tells me the Pokemon AS's mystery byte is 01 - but I used 00 and it works online ? (Apparently OR and X both have Chip ID C2, whearas AS and Y have AE...)

So the header for Golf has a mystery byte of 02 - but I used 00 as well.

My not-so-trained-with-this-kind-of-stuff mind tells me that the mystery byte is not important, only the ChipID Manufacturer seems to matter. Is that correct?

Last edited by Fil o_O,
Reactions: Foxi4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The mystery byte is just that - a mystery. It doesn't quite follow the JEDEC standard, so it must be something Nintendo implemented. It could be a number of things - the series of the chip, the production line, the factory it came from - who knows. You should not get banned for getting it wrong, but for the sake of accuracy I'd keep it the same as in the suggestion box, unless that fails to work, in which case troubleshoot with the drop-down or type your own for effect. All of your selections can potentially matter - we don't know how the process works server-side - due diligence and common sense suggest being as accurate as possible. I'm glad SAK helped you work out your problem, it was specifically coded to give you customization options other apps seem to lack.

Reactions: Fil o_O

Fil o_O

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks for your answer. I start to follow :) But I have one last (dumb) question: Lets break it down to a simple case: I have a header and a game. Everything I enter at "Cart ID" must be of the game I intend to go online with, right? So, I extract my private header from a game. In this case its Mario Golf World tour. I'm going to use that header to patch a Pokemon Y Rom with. So basically the only information I take from my Golf header would be the unique ID. The other stuff must match the rom I intend to go online with. Correct? Because I still don't know how exactly I can decide what Manufacturer to go with. If the original ROM has AE, I need a AE header? Or can both be different?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Everything should match the game you go online with, including the CART and EEPROM ID's. The manufacturer is 99% likely to be C2, but if you're using your own dump, there's no way of knowing the manufacturer with 100% accuracy short of opening the cartridge or decrypting the ROM and combing through the header. Fortunately, if you get it wrong, you won't connect, so you can retry until you get it right. Sometimes it takes some fiddling, but eventually you'll get it right - the only things you manipulate are the Manufacturer and Mystery, there's a very small amount of combinations, so it's simple enough. :)

Reactions: Fil o_O

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Essentially, SAK expects to find the string "** : CTR-P" followed by a game code in the first line of the file as a verification method. If it encounters an unexpected gap, "** : KTR-P" (New3DS game) or "** : CTR-B" (retail demo), it will not verify the template. Make sure that the template starts with that marker and ends with a double newline character and it should verify. The next version should fix this problem, but for now I have no internet at home so my work as far as the Temp is concerned is halted.

If the template still fails the verification process, post it here as an attachment and I'll have a look at it to determine the cause in the source.

Fealon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is the template for fire emblem fates. It might just be that I have a bad rom.

Attachments

• templateFireEmblemFates.txt
    1.6 KB · Views: 288

danialbi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi! Trying to generate a template suitable for:
1487 CTR-P-AYWP Yo-Kai Watch M5 EUR using latest 0226 template
...but I am stuck at...step 2 when I load my .3ds file, I get error
@Template for the selected ROM was not found in the Base template, please select an updated template to continue!
I must have missed something here...if I had the updated template ;-)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Chances are that the template structure is corrupt - it's been known to haplen before. Isolate the part of the template in question and save it to a separate file, then retry. I haven't had the time to work on SAK since the last update, to be perfectly honest, but I intend to return to the project eventually and implement some final improvements.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is there currently a way to play the European version of Kirby Planet Robobot on the blue version of Sky? There's no entry for it on the official template file.

Can this program be used to generate template entries for roms?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Is there currently a way to play the European version of Kirby Planet Robobot on the blue version of Sky? There's no entry for it on the official template file.

Can this program be used to generate template entries for roms?
It can be used to generate templates, however new Nintendo games (since AC:HHD) are protected with an AP measure that makes them unbootable on Blue Button and Red Button cards, so the effort would be wasted. My recommendation is to use the Sky card as an exploit entry point and install it as a CIA instead via CFW, downgrade the 3DS if needs be.

Reactions: SpaceJump

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It can be used to generate templates, however new Nintendo games (since AC:HHD) are protected with an AP measure that makes them unbootable on Blue Button and Red Button cards, so the effort would be wasted. My recommendation is to use the Sky card as an exploit entry point and install it as a CIA instead via CFW, downgrade the 3DS if needs be.
I already have A9LH + Luma. Just wanted to know what I can do with the cart ;)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I already have A9LH + Luma. Just wanted to know what I can do with the cart ;)
I'm pretty sure you can disable the AP check in the CFW, but you'd still need the UnknownID. There's only one way to get it that I know of, and it requires a Plus card. If you know someone with a Sky3DS+ and can disable the check, it can work.

Reactions: SpaceJump

Nick™

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm sorry, someone must have asked this already, but my problem is the following: I got a private header from a steeldiver dump with powersaves, and i got that connection error when trying to play animal crossing online. I have a sky3ds+ and everything i have done was put the default animal crossing cart ID and my private header on the cfg file, it didn't worked. So now i have followed your steps and made a custom template which substitute the manufacturer ID (which was AE) to C2. What do i do now with this template? Should i use diskwriter or something? (I heard this isn't needed at all on Sky3ds+)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm sorry, someone must have asked this already, but my problem is the following: I got a private header from a steeldiver dump with powersaves, and i got that connection error when trying to play animal crossing online. I have a sky3ds+ and everything i have done was put the default animal crossing cart ID and my private header on the cfg file, it didn't worked. So now i have followed your steps and made a custom template which substitute the manufacturer ID (which was AE) to C2. What do i do now with this template? Should i use diskwriter or something? (I heard this isn't needed at all on Sky3ds+)
As far as I know, everything should've worked fine if you just put the online identifier under GAMESAVE_KEY. Remember that this value is overriden by the .sav file, so you need to remove the save whenever making modifications, preferably after a game cycle on the card.

LowEndC

ǝɹıℲ ɥʇıM ǝɹıℲ ʇɥƃıℲ
Trophies
XP
Country
Niger
so in order to learn how to use this i have to read 22 pages. yay!
"step 1. Browse for the original Sky3DS template file"
where do i find this template file?
sorry, new to the scene.

also, can i use a private header from a usa game, inject it into a euro region game, and play it on my sky3ds+ via the homebrew launchers region free capabilities?

i have a Sky3ds+, and a bunch of games i play online with a private header i dumped with my skydock,
so im not completely new.
had to use gateway rom patcher to get my header to work, unfortunately all i had was pokemon ultra sun, and its AE manufacturer, most games are C2... ffs.

can i do this any easier with sky army knife? maybe a batch conversion?

also if i just put my private header by the game save key in setting, and change the chip id from c2 to ae, (my private header is from an ae chip) in the games cfg file, can i go online instead of waiting for gateway rom patcher to make back ups of the entire game, coping that over to my sd, deleting the old game, only to have me still have to go into the cfg and change the chip id from c2 to ae?
thanks

Last edited by LowEndC,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: and Psi - I had a cd player / radio that played mp3 cds once, very cool