Hacking [Release][v.1.5.1] Sky Army Knife - a Sky3DS Template Tool

RoDryBones

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
You will, so I suggest dumping your saves, trimming clean ROMs, converting the trimmed versions and re-uploading the saves. Trimming anything other than a clean ROM is a gamble and SAK will remove anything that's beyond the bounds of the selected NCCH's, so your save will be treated as padding.
Is possible to back up the save from a eeprom no rom with the diskwritter tool?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well buddy, worked like a charm :D
Codename S.T.E.A.M went from 2gb to 1,07gb and the save worked perfectly. I'll try it with my other roms and post any issue.
Amazing result, glad to hear that it worked for you! Since the trimmer is still very much a Beta and there's a lot left to be done with it, success stories like this are really nice to hear. :)

RoDryBones

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Amazing result, glad to hear that it worked for you! Since the trimmer is still very much a Beta and there's a lot left to be done with it, success stories like this are really nice to hear. :)
Done it too with Monster Hunter 4, Kirby Triple Deluxe and Pilotwings Resort, but on MH and PR the save was "corrupted". Good thing I didn't played them for too long, but they run fine by now.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Done it too with Monster Hunter 4, Kirby Triple Deluxe and Pilotwings Resort, but on MH and PR the save was "corrupted". Good thing I didn't played them for too long, but they run fine by now.
Yeah, DiskWriter can be a bit finnicky when dumping saves, that's another feature I should implement in the future lol. Sorry to hear that you lost progress, glad to hear that the games are working. :)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Sky Army Knife goes Multi-thread! Version 1.5.1, among many optimizations, nests the trimmer in a Background Worker class - no more guesswork, no more freezing during trimming. In fact, you can trim a ROM in the background and fiddle around with templates or ROM infos as it trims! Get the latest update here:

:arrow: Sky Army Knife v.1.5.1

Reactions: Osmosis

Osmosis

Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Absolutely epic!!!!!

No more having to direct users towards ROM-TOOL!!!! Just SAK it.

:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

Did you fix the whole INVALID TEMPLATE error without having to delete empty lines in template?

What if we know our Unique ID but not the Unknown ID? Keeps giving prompts about it. Just want to inject Unique ID and leave Unknown ID alone...

motezazer

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Absolutely epic!!!!!

No more having to direct users towards ROM-TOOL!!!! Just SAK it.

:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

Did you fix the whole INVALID TEMPLATE error without having to delete empty lines in template?

What if we know our Unique ID but not the Unknown ID? Keeps giving prompts about it. Just want to inject Unique ID and leave Unknown ID alone...
You can extract the Unknown ID of your game from the original template.
If your game is not in the official template, sorry, you can't add your game to the template.

Reactions: Osmosis

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Osmosis The double-newline error and the double-space after SHA1 error are accounted for so you can use original templates, but you know how Team Sky is as far as consistency goes. If you can't auto-detect the Unknown ID, copy-paste it from the base - that's what the look-up window is for. I'm completely rewriting the template generator for the next release to avoid further errors like this.

Osmosis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Osmosis...But you know how Team Sky is as far as consistency goes ... I'm completely rewriting the template generator for the next release to avoid further errors like this.

Yes, I think we all know how consistency doesn't exist in this line of business... But you have been a shining star throughout it all.

I'm very proud to see the results of your hard labor. Everyone with a Sky3DS should thank you.

Thank you.

Reactions: RoDryBones

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yes, I think we all know how consistency doesn't exist in this line of business... But you have been a shining star throughout it all.

I'm very proud to see the results of your hard labor. Everyone with a Sky3DS should thank you.

Thank you.
Now, now, you're tickling me in all the right places, but I already have a girlfriend. :P Seriously though, this is just a fun project to me and I'm happy to see people using it.

Osmosis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oop! I found some stuff to take note of...

Okay, before I could manually write into Mystery Byte in case the byte wasn't listed. And... now I can't. So I have a mystery byte of 0x03 for CTR-P-BALE. Only way to change that is by creating template and then inserting it into created template.

This is a private retail cart dump.

In old version I could edit that value manually into the Mystery Byte drop down and it would gen into new template.

Another thing I noticed were the two bytes on the end of the template were different from the default template file. Of course, I inserted my Unique ID, so that may have caused it.

And of course private header. (duh!)

Really loved how the TRIM TAB actually writes a new .3DS ROM instead of editing the existing one. Brilliant. Wish I had that before. I also like the naming (Trimmed) added to .3DS name. Personally I use "_TRIM" at the end of mine, but that was because it made running through ROM TOOL easier. No Drag-N-Drop, but that's okay. Dragging ROM files around can get messy.

How I organize my ROMs for storage and easy use in DiskWriter:

001_ROM_NAME_TRIM.3ds
031_ROM_NAME.3ds <--- untrimmed

I did this to keep my cycle list in order, but Diskwriter 2.02 fixes this by using RESERVE to re-organize. I still do it to know how many I have and if I've switched one out. I also have a master folder and a TRIM folder in case I need a full ROM.

Checking how well it trims compared to ROM-TOOL... same. But the option to COPY certain sections blows my mind. Mostly because I have no idea what they would do. And I could actually choose to save more space. It does take longer. Mainly because it is creating a new .3DS ROM whereas ROM-TOOL just editing the target .3DS file. At first I was puzzled, but by the end, this way is so much better. Quicker than making an exact duplicate with Windows and then going through the trimmer. It also saves space for those of use on small drive space devices or lappys.

Yup, "INVALID TEMPLATE" error fixed. No more having to edit in notepad to load it in SAK anymore. That'll save a lot of headaches and nagging posts.

This might sound crazy, but a windows 7 split-screen might be nice? Drag it to one side with ROM folder on other... not really necessary, but might be nice. And when you snap-it that's when the scroll-bar should come into play for those who don't like seeing it.

Since it creates the new ROM after trimming, could we please direct where to save it? I use shortcuts for quick access, but now I have to store SAK in my actual ROM folder. Gets confusing...

And that's all I noticed for now.

Hope this helps.

Awesome job. Go take a break. Enjoy your weekend. We'll see what other holes we can plug while you sip one back.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
SAK should save the trimmed ROM in the same directory as the source ROM, not where SAK is. I'll look into free-form fields again, but they should work fine (just skip the 0x, write just the value, i.e. 03). The last two bytes should differ from the base - it's the CRC of the template itself. :P As for disabling certain partitions, the problem here is that it will immediately make the ROM unbootable on Sky. It screws with signatures, but CFW's and firmware patches will counter this issue in the future.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I ask because trim tools used to break card2 saves.
The trimmer automatically adds 10MB of padding to CARD-2 ROMs to allow NAND saving on Sky3DS, but as with any homebrew apps there's no guarantee that it'll work fine. Try it out and post your results, as far as I know it should work fine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: