Hacking [release] Use blocked DS flashcards on 3DS, probably N3DS too.

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
When you said you changed the version number, did you change it in the ncch?

no, i didn't realize it was also in the ncch too, but either way, there is nothing to gain by editing it - because it needs to run without GW's patches

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
no, i didn't realize it was also in the ncch too, but either way, there is nothing to gain by editing it - because it needs to run without GW's patches

So where did you change it?
If the ncch's sig is valid, then the title should be seen as valid. Yet I see people claiming it broke the title instead.

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
So where did you change it?
If the ncch's sig is valid, then the title should be seen as valid. Yet I see people claiming it broke the title instead.

tmd
- another idea, change the tmd to make it install over the top of the existing one, then copy a legit tmd back so it checks out ok and boots in sysnand...
but still, it's in twl firm partition and not 3ds fat16 partition, so we can't edit it until we are given access.
maybe the ctr decryptor people could let us dump the xorpad for the dsi partition too, not just the 3ds one :)

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Could this method be used to make an old (non-updatable to 3DS) version of the action reply DSi work on the 3DS?The flash card capabilities, i mean.

if it ever worked on 3ds, maybe.
if we can revert twl to the first version, and also disable the whitelist/blacklist (this cia does that) - maybe we could have more compatibility than some fws of dsi.

Haymose

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone mind throwing me a PM? I don't know how to search for something without even knowing what its titled.

Edit: got it thanks

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
A bit off-topic, but could installing NDS ROMs like a .CIA work?
Does TWL reboot the whole console and dis-engage any booted exploits?

Theoretically you can. But they'd have to be converted into DSi games as only DSi games supported being installed to SD/NAND. I don't think anyone's ever bothered doing this.

And even if you do, you won't be able to boot it because it won't boot in Gateway/Classic Mode. DS/DSi Mode and GBA mode currently do not work when using Gateway and custom CIAs (and even most pirated retail CIAs) do not boot in classic mode and will not boot if installed while in sysnand either.

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Theoretically you can. But they'd have to be converted into DSi games as only DSi games supported being installed to SD/NAND. I don't think anyone's ever bothered doing this.

And even if you do, you won't be able to boot it because it won't boot in Gateway/Classic Mode. DS/DSi Mode and GBA mode currently do not work when using Gateway and custom CIAs (and even most pirated retail CIAs) do not boot in classic mode and will not boot if installed while in sysnand either.
sysnand chip can only hold so much though...

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States

As far as I know, the 3DS only ever installs DSi titles to NAND. I don't think they can be installed to SD card.

Which brings up an interesting point. DS games via Virtual Console should be possible on the 3DS. I don't see any hardware limits preventing this. DSi titles are basically enhanced DS games. The DS has been discontinued for awhile now and I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't tried to push out any eShop DS VC games. (Wii-U is already slated to get DS games via Virtual Console I think). A firmware update is likely needed as the 3DS firmware as it is now probably isn't setup to handle it correctly. The real question is would Nintendo be able to do it in a way that would remain secure and not open up new exploits they wouldn't be able to patch. They would have to create an environment for DS games to boot and save to certain areas of the SD card and doing it in a secure manner that isn't open to exploits might be one reason why Nintendo hasn't done it yet on the 3DS. It might be something they'll do exclusively for the n3DS maybe as it's a slightly more secure platform then the original 3DS.

If gateway ever fixes DS/DSi/GBA mode and Nintendo comes out with DS VC games, then you can definitely bet DS games would be installable via CIAs.

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu

so can emunand, just because it is on the sd card and we are not limited to the size of the nand chip, until someone figures out how to make the 3ds use a bigger partition, then we are still limited. maybe it is an easy fix :)

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Aren't there applications which boot into TWL_FIRM with data from their own app? I know that Download Play and Settings use TWL_FIRM to load up the DS profile stuff as well as the DS download play, so I can't imagine that booting NDS stuff from the SD card is impossible.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Aren't there applications which boot into TWL_FIRM with data from their own app? I know that Download Play and Settings use TWL_FIRM to load up the DS profile stuff as well as the DS download play, so I can't imagine that booting NDS stuff from the SD card is impossible.
But those are in NAND.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/nTSxdJWZiRA