Homebrew [Release] SocketPunch - FBI network CIA installer for Android & PC

Olmectron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Now on my own 3DS at my own house, using 1.2.1 with FBI 2.0.5, I'm getting 400 KBps, definitely the slowest I've gotten through wireless transfers. I'm not blaming you or anything, just hoping to report my test.

So I'm installing a 2.4 GB CIA and it took an hour and a half to install it at 400 KBps the whole way through.

Glad I can test it though!
Thanks for reporting!

That's the reason I put the Legacy Mode in there. It's way faster. I tried the same tweaks I did to the original transfer method, but the max speed I'm getting with the FBI 2+ compatible method is 700 KB/s roughly. While I still get 1200 KB/s with the old method.

I would say it's, in part (not blaming FBI), due to that FBI now writes an Integer value (ack) so that the PC client reads it to know if FBI is still up. It sends the value on each data package. However, I disabled the ack read from SocketPunch, but it caused failed installs when reaching 100% in ver 1.2.0-beta. I'm already testing if there's a way of getting more speed.

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for reporting!

That's the reason I put the Legacy Mode in there. It's way faster. I tried the same tweaks I did to the original transfer method, but the max speed I'm getting with the FBI 2+ compatible method is 700 KB/s roughly. While I still get 1200 KB/s with the old method.

I would say it's, in part (not blaming FBI), due to that FBI now writes an Integer value (ack) so that the PC client reads it to know if FBI is still up. It sends the value on each data package. However, I disabled the ack read from SocketPunch, but it caused failed installs when reaching 100% in ver 1.2.0-beta. I'm already testing if there's a way of getting more speed.
Now I got another report.
It installed 99% on SocketPunch, and on FBI it shows 2022 MB / 2541 MB
Both are stuck in place and won't go any further. The 3DS is frozen and I gotta power it down.

Is legacy compatible with FBI 2.0? Or do I need to get FBI 1.4.17 again? I only ever use FBi just for Socketpunch so I might as well switch.

Last edited by MattKimura,

Olmectron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Now I got another report.
It installed 99% on SocketPunch, and on FBI it shows 2022 MB / 2541 MB
Both are stuck in place and won't go any further.

Is legacy compatible with FBI 2.0? Or do I need to get FBI 1.4.17 again?
Legacy Mode is only compatible with FBI 1.4.17. Newest mode only works with FBI 2+.

Thanks to FBI 2+ having a different title id thatn FBI 1.4, it's possible to have both installed at the same time. I still recommend wjchen's build when using Legacy Mode.

About the timeouts. It's because of my twekings for more speed. I could add an option for "more speed" (but with more probability of timeouts) or "more precision" (with get fewer timeouts or disconnections). I'll think about it.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Olmectron I got the app to work on Ubuntu 16.04LTS but for some reason it does not work on Linux Mint.
Works fine on Mint 17.3 (Ubuntu 14.04) with Oracle's Java 8 installed with the webupd8 repo and installer. Also, try running it in terminal with something like:
Code:
cd '~/SocketPunch/' && java -jar SocketPunch.jar
(assuming you have it in a folder named SocketPunch in your home directory)
Java is always a bit odd with most linux environments.

Last edited by TecXero,

jimmyleen

Trophies
XP
Country
Works fine on Mint 17.3 (Ubuntu 14.04) with Oracle's Java 8 installed with the webupd8t repo and installer. Also, try running it in terminal with something like:
Code:
cd '~/SocketPunch/' ; java -jar SocketPunch.jar
(assuming you have it in a folder named SocketPunch in your home directory)
Java is always a bit odd with most linux environments.

The thing is I should not have to run a command in order to start socketpunch in Linux mint. For some reason when I ran socketpunch while using mint jre8 is slow as tree sap even though I have a ssd inside my laptop.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The thing is I should not have to run a command in order to start socketpunch in Linux mint. For some reason when I ran socketpunch while using mint jre8 is slow as tree sap even though I have a ssd inside my laptop.
What environment are you using? I'm using XFCE and it does not play well with java, that's why I just have a small sh script on the side so I don't have to type that in every time.

jimmyleen

Trophies
XP
Country
What environment are you using? I'm using XFCE and it does not play well with java, that's why I just have a small sh script on the side so I don't have to type that in every time.

I was using the stock mint environment that comes with the distro.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry I mint cinnamon.
I couldn't tell you. Cinnamon and other environments like it have always been a pain to me. They're always graphically heavy and don't share the graphics hardware all that well. Then again, maybe I'm just too simple, I have my environment setup to look like Windows 95 and be about as lightweight.

jimmyleen

Trophies
XP
Country
I couldn't tell you. Cinnamon and other environments like it have always been a pain to me. They're always graphically heavy and don't share the graphics hardware all that well. Then again, maybe I'm just too simple, I have my environment setup to look like Windows 95 and be about as lightweight.

I have it working with ubuntu anyway so its no big deal.

Reactions: TecXero

Motobug

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to use SocketPunch with the latest FBI version, but it says it finished installing as soon as I confirm the install, regardless of the CIA I try,

EDIT: Nevermind, I was doing a dumb thing

Last edited by Motobug,

retroguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
AFIK, FBI only allows installation of CIA files over network. Ask @Steveice10.

So, in the latest update Steve added the possibility to network install tickets through FBI. But Socket Punch (1.2.1 Beta) only allows to add CIA's to the upload list. I guess it's time for another update of Socket Punch, to allow tickets. :whip: :D

Reactions: Rudi Rastelli

Noroxus

Margen67 Supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I dont know if this was posted before or not, however I have to report that using Legacy Mode with wchen's fix FBI causes some installations to drop significantly in speed at a certain percentage.
For example 1200KB/s dropped down to constant 250KB/s.
It's like SocketPunch is having problems sending the data and therefore reduces the speed to 0.25MB/s, which is extremely slow. No idea what is causing this weird behavior tho. Maybe the face that I am using a 128GB Micro SD? :I

sLpFhaWK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whenever I open the app and I click load CIA files no popup happens, so I can't open anything to punch to the 3ds. I was able to do it before, but not anymore, i've closed and reopened many times. =/

I'm on a windows 10 64bit machine if it matters. I've tried admin mode and everything.

Olmectron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Whenever I open the app and I click load CIA files no popup happens, so I can't open anything to punch to the 3ds. I was able to do it before, but not anymore, i've closed and reopened many times. =/

I'm on a windows 10 64bit machine if it matters. I've tried admin mode and everything.
It's a bug caused because trying to re-open the last used directory, which was probably deleted since last use.

It's fixed for the next release, but meanwhile you can use the drag & drop feature for loading the files. Drag a file from your folder, and drop it on the app window. It will appear in the list.

sLpFhaWK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a bug caused because trying to re-open the last used directory, which was probably deleted since last use.

It's fixed for the next release, but meanwhile you can use the drag & drop feature for loading the files. Drag a file from your folder, and drop it on the app window. It will appear in the list.

Thank you. I figured out the drag and drop after I posted but I thought I should still post the bug anyways.

Reactions: Olmectron

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/OLqeHmZp-Wc?si=gnlLbzZEgWiNp5E5