Status
Not open for further replies.

Canzah

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm curious how these undub patches don't violate the forum rules since they contain copy-written data from the japanese version of the game. Not trying to troll, just looking for clarification on how this works exactly.
The same reason how undub patches were posted many times over in the DS and PSP sections.

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Oh for crying out loud , this is hacking forum so don't be too stiff about this copyright stuff.
As long as it isn't the whole rom or systerm code, resoure from game doesn't count.

Gadorach

Electronics Engineering Technologist
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh for crying out loud , this is hacking forum so don't be too stiff about this copyright stuff.
As long as it isn't the whole rom or systerm code, resoure from game doesn't count.
Well... You know... Technically anything produced as part of the game's release data is copyright, and therefore illegal to share without permission of the copyright holder...

Canzah

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
By that logic we should stop posting anything here.
You're being a strict ass for the sake of being an ass.

Reactions: Ashtonx

Gadorach

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
By that logic we should stop posting anything here.
You're being a strict ass for the sake of being an ass.
I know, but that doesn't stop it from being the truth, sadly. If you recall, the guys that made the English patch of Final Fantasy Type-0 had to share it via torrents mostly as well, and even got a C&D for doing it, though it was way too late for that to make a difference, lol.

Gadorach

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I would have to ask for copyright before I post a picture from the game I played?
Fair-use of image data, recorded by yourself, is to my knowledge, an exception made to said law in order to allow for free speech. However, the moment you try to make money off of that image, fair-use is canceled and you then are at the mercy of copyright law.

And don't get me wrong here, I love that these projects are happening, I'm just establishing that, no matter how wonderful they are, they're still technically illegal. I don't want them to stop, of course, just making sure that everyone's disillusioned.

NCDyson

Hello Boys...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

by that logic, we should be able to post the xorpads or decrypted versions for the ROMFS from roms since it's just game resources.

Sounds more to me like you're just being an ass, probably jealous.

who would be jealous? and of what? Can't be too hard to do what you're doing, considering you're spitting out undub patches so quickly.

People need to calm the hell down. I seriously don't see why a simple question around here leads to fighting.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was actually gonna say "Good job" but you've been coming off as an ass in your last few posts, so I'll refrain.

I'm glad to see 3DS hacking's moving along. It'll take me a super long time to learn Japanese to enjoy Japanese games (and no, I don't consider knowing what the menu options translate to as "learned Japanese"). Bortz and I will soon be able to play our Dragon Quest Monsters games! I hope.

Gadorach

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Jealous? I'll just ignore that for the sake of civility. Besides, I've been working on a personal translation of Hatsune Miku - Project Mirai 2, which is partly done and I'm testing parts of it right now. If I was against this from happening, I wouldn't be doing that. I haven't attempted to insulted you, nor do I intend to. As I said, I'm after disillusionment, not cancellation.

If you're interested though, here's an image from the start of my translation project:

df48a4c63c.jpg

Just song names in PV mode and internal, non-ingame-viewable data has been translated so far, though I plan to start working on unpacking the proprietary files holding the menu graphics as soon as I can figure out their structures. I luckily have a few Japanese friends willing to help me with translation, I just need to get at the files first. If anyone's willing to help me with that, please, PM me, I could use the help.

But anyway, enough hijacking your thread. Back on topic, I much appreciate you putting time into these releases, and have no intention of stopping you, neither express or implied. Just know that this will most likely be scrutinized shortly, so it's best to have a backup plan for hosting and releases.

Reactions: Saitel and descac

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jealous? I'll just ignore that for the sake of civility. Besides, I've been working on a personal translation of Hatsune Miku - Project Mirai 2, which is partly done and I'm testing parts of it right now. If I was against this from happening, I wouldn't be doing that. I haven't attempted to insulted you, nor do I intend to. As I said, I'm after disillusionment, not cancellation.

If you're interested though, here's an image from the start of my translation project:
df48a4c63c.jpg
I'm really looking forward to your fan-translation project.

Ashtonx

n0l1f3
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So I would have to ask for copyright before I post a picture from the game I played?

Funny enough i remember when crazy japanese publishers already did send mass c&d for posting pictures at some point. Can't remember whether it was related to games or m&a.

OrangeFlavored

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Funny enough i remember when crazy japanese publishers already did send mass c&d for posting pictures at some point. Can't remember whether it was related to games or m&a.

They can send C&D for anything they want. Doesn't mean they actually have a case, and I doubt most of them would actually bother to take it to court.

Anyway I think the reason this stuff is not against the rules is because the undub patch, while it technically does contain game assets, is useless without the original game. So it's not really the same as distributing the ROM.

Canzah

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just song names in PV mode and internal, non-ingame-viewable data has been translated so far, though I plan to start working on unpacking the proprietary files holding the menu graphics as soon as I can figure out their structures. I luckily have a few Japanese friends willing to help me with translation, I just need to get at the files first. If anyone's willing to help me with that, please, PM me, I could use the help.

But anyway, enough hijacking your thread. Back on topic, I much appreciate you putting time into these releases, and have no intention of stopping you, neither express or implied. Just know that this will most likely be scrutinized shortly, so it's best to have a backup plan for hosting and releases.

Not really interested in Miku or rhythm games in general (other than Theatrhythm), but good job. Hopefully you'll be able to translate the whole thing.

As for what I said, I simply cannot understand what exactly is wrong with this seeing as there's projects like did posted all over the DS and PSP sections of this forum. It's completely useless without owning the original rom as OrangeFlavored said, and what's more modding is within fair use rights. So is using the content from same IP license (such as Japanese voices from JP release for the US version). That's how Star Wars Jedi Academy modding thrives to this day, they make plenty of copyrighted content but as long as they release it for free and only for the game then it's legal. You think corporate websites like FileFront would allow it if it wasn't the case? If the IP owner doesn't like it, they can always send a C&D as it's within their right, but nothing more than that.
If anything, I see people being way too paranoid over these things. Either due to lack of knowing the law or simple lack of common sense.

Ashtonx

n0l1f3
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Not really interested in Miku or rhythm games in general (other than Theatrhythm), but good job. Hopefully you'll be able to translate the whole thing.

As for what I said, I simply cannot understand what exactly is wrong with this seeing as there's projects like did posted all over the DS and PSP sections of this forum. It's completely useless without owning the original rom as OrangeFlavored said, and what's more modding is within fair use rights. So is using the content from same IP license (such as Japanese voices from JP release for the US version). That's how Star Wars Jedi Academy modding thrives to this day, they make plenty of copyrighted content but as long as they release it for free and only for the game then it's legal. You think corporate websites like FileFront would allow it if it wasn't the case? If the IP owner doesn't like it, they can always send a C&D as it's within their right, but nothing more than that.
If anything, I see people being way too paranoid over these things. Either due to lack of knowing the law or simple lack of common sense.

Fair use is different depending on country, some countries are actually quite crazy about those, then again afair in poland it's quite light.
Need i remind you in some countries modchips and flashcarts are illegal.

Also comparing Western games which quite often encourage modding with japanese where they're crazy about intelectual rights is a bit of a miss. I'm guessing in poland you'd prolly get easily free with what you did here, in some countries you'd prolly get years in jail, heck even if all you did was write a software that'd need both japanese and english rom and did same thing you did, which basically wouldn't even contain any kind of data that would be under protection. Some countries are just crazy like that.

But um yeah, people seem too paranoid about it, you might as well go and upload those to some closed trackers ale let it all go wild from there.

Speaking of which, i'm guessing some people might be wondering about it, you mind if people upload your patches to torrent websites ? In most cases people who do that don't really care about laws, rights etc, then again they might be reluctant since they appreciate your work (didn't see it on any of the trackers i use)

Gadorach

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Well, I'm, of course, not the final say here by any means. As this site's servers are located in France right now, legality should probably be cross-referenced with France's laws on copyrighted content. I'm not really too worried about it myself, just think we should have a mod confirm before we get too cozy sharing huge chunks of games on the forum. I'd like to know as well, seeing as I do plan to release a patcher for Mirai 2 once at least the basic stuff is done, if I can. Anyway, it never hurts to ask in these situations. Better than arguing over copyright law I guess.

Bortz What's the consensus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and I used neither my phone or my pc today
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I was out for most of the afternoon
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and the morning cuz school
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Although tomorrow is Labor Day which means I won't go to class which means I'll sleep well.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    is labor day different in venezuela than in america, or did time skip that far?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall...