• Views 141,624
  • Replies 801
  • Likes 61

Ripper00420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The last release introduced some (non-critical!) trouble with RedNANDs. Get OTPHelper v0.84 from here.

Hi, I'm using the latest OTPHelper, and so far followed most of the guide from Plailect, except one minor part. For the sysNAND backup, I made the backup using EMUNAND9 instead of OTPHelper (since the backup size matches, I thought it would be fine).

The redNAND setup seems to be producing a minimum size redNAND by default, so the redNAND backup is smaller. I thought it is normal.

I managed to boot into 2.1 and dumped otp.bin, but whenever I'm trying to restore my original sysNAND now, it says:

Small EmuNAND, using minimum size...
No usable file found
SysNAND Restore: failed!​

My NAND is Toshiba, so it is 1.8GB NAND backup. Is there anything wrong here?

EDIT: looking at the changelog, it seems that the small redNAND support is the one causing the issue; now I'm using 0.81 to restore.
Does the 0.81 version read Emunands better? I can't seem to get it to detect mine at all, so I can't even make a backup.

Last edited by Ripper00420,

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Does the 0.81 version read Emunands better? I can't seem to get it to detect mine at all, so I can't even make a backup.
0.81 was the last version that did not support minimum size RedNANDs (RedNANDs with full size were always supported). You're using the latest one, right? Is this EmuNAND properly detected by Decrypt9WIP / EmuNAND9? Also, what did you use to create that EmuNAND?

I tried on another N3DS and the restoring of 1.8GB of Toshiba memory works. However, the dialog still says emuNand instead of sysNand and the shown backup size is wrong (1240).
You need to give me some more detail... 1240MB is totally okay, if (a) the backup does have that size or (b) you are restoring to a minimum size redNAND (which I assume you do). We can't use more MBs than there are available, and your N3DS does not use more than these 1240MB anyways. Also, you say it says 'EmuNAND' in some place where it should say 'SysNAND'? Where would that be (in which feature, what did you do?).

pscytheology

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You need to give me some more detail... 1240MB is totally okay, if (a) the backup does have that size or (b) you are restoring to a minimum size redNAND (which I assume you do). We can't use more MBs than there are available, and your N3DS does not use more than these 1240MB anyways. Also, you say it says 'EmuNAND' in some place where it should say 'SysNAND'? Where would that be (in which feature, what did you do?).

Ah, probably I didn't explain my situation well... This is about restoring the sysNAND backup image to the sysNAND partition.

I have a 1.8GB Toshiba chip, but following Plailect's guide, EMUNAND9 will automatically set up minimum redNAND by default, hence I have a different sized backup: 1.8GB for sys and 1.2GB for emu.

The part where the guide instructs to restore the original sysNAND, 0.83 failed to restore due to the erroneous detection of the backup image size (it expects the sysNAND to be 1.2GB, the same as the redNAND). Using 0.81, it detected that my sysNAND and the backup image are of the same size (1.8GB) and restored successfully.

0.84, in the sysNAND restore dialog, seems to be showing emuNAND and the redNAND size (1.2GB) instead of sysNAND. The actual restore process (1.8GB image to the Toshiba NAND) is unaffected. It's just a display issue.

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ah, probably I didn't explain my situation well... This is about restoring the sysNAND backup image to the sysNAND partition.

I have a 1.8GB Toshiba chip, but following Plailect's guide, EMUNAND9 will automatically set up minimum redNAND by default, hence I have a different sized backup: 1.8GB for sys and 1.2GB for emu.

The part where the guide instructs to restore the original sysNAND, 0.83 failed to restore due to the erroneous detection of the backup image size (it expects the sysNAND to be 1.2GB, the same as the redNAND). Using 0.81, it detected that my sysNAND and the backup image are of the same size (1.8GB) and restored successfully.

0.84, in the sysNAND restore dialog, seems to be showing emuNAND and the redNAND size (1.2GB) instead of sysNAND. The actual restore process (1.8GB image to the Toshiba NAND) is unaffected. It's just a display issue.
So it says: "Cloning EmuNAND to EmuNAND. Size (MB): 1240MB"? Or "Restoring EmuNAND. Size (MB): 1240MB"? The size is alright, if you either restore your SysNAND via a clone from a minimum size RedNAND or using a minimum size backup.

pscytheology

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So it says: "Cloning EmuNAND to EmuNAND. Size (MB): 1240MB"? Or "Restoring EmuNAND. Size (MB): 1240MB"? The size is alright, if you either restore your SysNAND via a clone from a minimum size RedNAND or using a minimum size backup.

It says "Restoring EmuNAND. Size (MB): 1240MB", when in fact I'm restoring a 1.8GB sysNAND using a 1.8GB backup image.

It's not a emuNAND->sysNAND cloning. It's just a pure sysNAND restore. I have confirmed the size of the backup image is in fact 1.8GB, created using EMUNAND9.

EDIT: just reiterate that the display is the only issue... the backup image restores fine, no problem :D

Last edited by pscytheology,

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It says "Restoring EmuNAND. Size (MB): 1240MB", when in fact I'm restoring a 1.8GB sysNAND using a 1.8GB backup image.

It's not a emuNAND->sysNAND cloning. It's just a pure sysNAND restore. I have confirmed the size of the backup image is in fact 1.8GB, created using EMUNAND9.

EDIT: just reiterate that the display is the only issue... the backup image restores fine, no problem :D
Okay, but we need to fix this! You could help me greatly if you showed me the relevant part of the OTPHelper.log, so that I see the complete output.

Reactions: Arubaro

Ripper00420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
0.81 was the last version that did not support minimum size RedNANDs (RedNANDs with full size were always supported). You're using the latest one, right? Is this EmuNAND properly detected by Decrypt9WIP / EmuNAND9? Also, what did you use to create that EmuNAND?

MultiNand creator is what I used to make my EmuNand. I never had a problem restoring or detecting it before this...
Maybe updating it to 10.7 has garbaged my EmuNand.

pscytheology

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, but we need to fix this! You could help me greatly if you showed me the relevant part of the OTPHelper.log, so that I see the complete output.

Oh shit... I used a separate mSD card to setup, which I promptly reformatted once I'm done... I'm afraid I no longer have the log...

TBH, the reason I'm reporting this is that I was pretty scared when it is showing that message. I thought that it might be flashing the wrong size.

This is what I can recall (pretty fresh memory, should be accurate). When choosing the sysNAND restore, even the top is saying something along the line of "using minimum size emuNAND".
It loads up the 1.8GB backup image fine and restore fine (0.83 doesn't even go past the image selection). I think the issue is somewhere in your function for printing messages, not on the checking and processing part.

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oh shit... I used a separate mSD card to setup, which I promptly reformatted once I'm done... I'm afraid I no longer have the log...

TBH, the reason I'm reporting this is that I was pretty scared when it is showing that message. I thought that it might be flashing the wrong size.

This is what I can recall (pretty fresh memory, should be accurate). When choosing the sysNAND restore, even the top is saying something along the line of "using minimum size emuNAND".
It loads up the 1.8GB backup image fine and restore fine (0.83 doesn't even go past the image selection). I think the issue is somewhere in your function for printing messages, not on the checking and processing part.
Okay, than there's one more thing you can possibly confirm... I found that size issue and the wrong output in the code ("using minimum size emuNAND"). However, it is pretty much impossible it said EmuNAND when in fact it restored to SysNAND. It must have said: "Restoring SysNAND. Size (MB): 1240MB". Is there any chance you got that wrong?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

MultiNand creator is what I used to make my EmuNand. I never had a problem restoring or detecting it before this...
Maybe updating it to 10.7 has garbaged my EmuNand.
What does the bottom of the OTPHelper menu say (the type of detected EmuNAND is in there)?

EDIT: You could also help me by providing the log output or a screenshot. And yes, some corruption is also possible. For that you could try D9 / E9 to detect the EmuNAND

Last edited by d0k3,

pscytheology

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, than there's one more thing you can possibly confirm... I found that size issue and the wrong output in the code ("using minimum size emuNAND"). However, it is pretty much impossible it said EmuNAND when in fact it restored to SysNAND. It must have said: "Restoring SysNAND. Size (MB): 1240MB". Is there any chance you got that wrong?

I see... I think it is very likely that I remembered it wrongly. I guess it was "Restoring SysNAND. Size (MB): 1240MB"

Reactions: d0k3

Ripper00420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would you happen to know why ReiNand can detect and boot my EmuNand, but I can't even make a backup?

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Would you happen to know why ReiNand can detect and boot my EmuNand, but I can't even make a backup?
We can try to find out. The OTPHelper.log text would be helpful (I only need the relevant part). Also check if D9 or E9 detect the EmuNAND correctly. And, give me some info! Is this a RedNAND? Note that OTPHelper and EmuNAND9 only detects the first EmuNAND in a Multi EmuNAND setup.

Ripper00420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We can try to find out. The OTPHelper.log text would be helpful (I only need the relevant part). Also check if D9 or E9 detect the EmuNAND correctly. And, give me some info! Is this a RedNAND? Note that OTPHelper and EmuNAND9 only detects the first EmuNAND in a Multi EmuNAND setup.
I just used MultiNAND Creator to format a new EmuNand on a new SD, and EmuNand Tool to inject my old backed up EmuNand that I made with RxTools to replace the one created with MultiNAND Creator. End result was 9.2 SysNAND with 10.3 EmuNand.
Since then I have updated to ReiNand and updated to 10.7 and I will get that log, but really stumped here.

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I just used MultiNAND Creator to format a new EmuNand on a new SD, and EmuNand Tool to inject my old backed up EmuNand that I made with RxTools to replace the one created with MultiNAND Creator. End result was 9.2 SysNAND with 10.3 EmuNand.
Since then I have updated to ReiNand and updated to 10.7 and I will get that log, but really stumped here.
OTPHelper automatically writes that log to your SD, it is called 'OTPHelper.log'. It also shows, at the bottom of the menu, the type of EmuNAND detected. Decrypt9WIP and EmuNAND9 do this too, they show the type of EmuNAND detected at the bottom. So, if you could try this, we will most likely find out.

Reactions: Ripper00420

Ripper00420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OTPHelper automatically writes that log to your SD, it is called 'OTPHelper.log'. It also shows, at the bottom of the menu, the type of EmuNAND detected. Decrypt9WIP and EmuNAND9 do this too, they show the type of EmuNAND detected at the bottom. So, if you could try this, we will most likely find out.
It detects absolutely no EmuNand, and that's my problem. I can boot the EmuNand through CTR Boot Manager and ReiNand detects it fine, just NOTHING else detects it. OTPhelper tells me the same, but I will get that log asap. I really appreciate the help bro, almost lost hope.

Attachments

• OTPHelper.zip
    517 bytes · Views: 95

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It detects absolutely no EmuNand, and that's my problem. I can boot the EmuNand through CTR Boot Manager and ReiNand detects it fine, just NOTHING else detects it. OTPhelper tells me the same, but I will get that log asap. I really appreciate the help bro, almost lost hope.

Thanks, seen it! I'd need the fist 2kb (that's 2048 byte) of your SD card contents. HxD can do this, the option is in 'Extras'. Make sure you open your physical drive, not the logical one. If you have trouble handling HxD, I'd suggest you make a backup of your current EmuNAND and SD card contents, and set it up anew using EmuNAND9.

Reactions: Ripper00420

Ripper00420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, seen it! I'd need the fist 2kb (that's 2048 byte) of your SD card contents. HxD can do this, the option is in 'Extras'. Make sure you open your physical drive, not the logical one. If you have trouble handling HxD, I'd suggest you make a backup of your current EmuNAND and SD card contents, and set it up anew using EmuNAND9.
That's my problem. I can't make a backup of my EmuNand at all.(Not going to format 51.8gb of games,updates, and HBs if it is still detected by ReiNand 3.3)
I will get you the first 2kb(2048 bytes) off my SD as soon as I can, and again thank you.

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That's my problem. I can't make a backup of my EmuNand at all.(Not going to format 51.8gb of games,updates, and HBs if it is still detected by ReiNand 3.3)
I will get you the first 2kb(2048 bytes) off my SD as soon as I can, and again thank you.
I meant, make that backup with Multi EmuNAND Creator, if nothing else works ;).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: If I could halucinAte this is what I imagine it would look like?