ROM Hack [Release] Neo-Geo Forwarder Creator

GnarkillAU

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
This is awesome. Loving it. Out of curiosity and as a suggestion for a future release, would it be possible to have some options regarding frames? Personally I'd love to have something more official looking than the 128/256 flat image, even if it's simply a VC banner.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
OP
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
This is awesome. Loving it. Out of curiosity and as a suggestion for a future release, would it be possible to have some options regarding frames? Personally I'd love to have something more official looking than the 128/256 flat image, even if it's simply a VC banner.
not really, but you can change the image. is inside the tools/assets_neogeo folder.

Reactions: chronoss

operator25

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
WARNING: NEW 3DS ONLY
OLD 3DS IS TOO WEAK TO EMULATE NEO-GEO AT PLAYABLE SPEEDS

View attachment 88850

Current version: 1.5.2D
FBA version: 0.2.97.29
v1.0
- initial release.

v1.0.1
- minor fixes.

v1.0.2
- more minor fixes.

v1.0.3
- fixed a freeze when entering sleep mode from the home menu with the game suspended.

v1.1
- added an internal database to recognize games that need a parent rom and warn the user if the needed parent rom is missing.

v1.2
- changed save folder to "sdmc:/retroarch/forwarders/*UNIQUEID*/savefiles" (actually a fix). please move the *ROMNAME*.fs files from the root of your sd card to the new save folder if you wish to preserve your saves, otherwise you can erase the .fs files from the root of your sd card.
- little interface fix.

v1.2.1
- fixed the issue where if the path to the folder selected to save the cia has spaces the program is unable to save it (oops... spaces are the devil).

v1.2.2
- fixed little issue with banner creation (spaces again).

v1.2.3
- interface fixes.

v1.2.4
- fixed a bug where the creator will get stuck at "creating banner" if no banner image was selected.
- another little interface fix.

v1.3
- added option to remap buttons.

v1.3.1
- fixed little bug with the remapping.

v1.4
- fixed parent rom detection, now is has to be in the same folder as the bootleg rom you are selecting (I don't know how I missed this for so long).
- rewrote and revamped a bunch of code for easier maintenance, please tell me if I broke something :P.

v1.4.1
- fixed little bug were the reset keymap button would incorrectly swap the X and Y buttons.

v1.5
- added random product id and unique id generator. it generates a random code every time you select a rom.

v1.5.1
- added a turbo button. it has to be manually enabled from the button remap option.

v1.5.2C
- parent rom typo fixed (fughtfev).
- parent rom mechanism updated to use the same method as the CPS forwarder creator.

v1.5.2D
- fixed another typo in the parent rom checking mechanism (gpilot.zip -> gpilots.zip).

Description:
With this tool you'll be able to make independent retroarch cias for your favorite Neo-Geo games using the Final Burn Alpha 2012 (0.2.97.29) NeoGeo core without having to install retroarch or anything besides the generated cia.

Usage:
It's pretty self explanatory, there is only one thing that isn't quite clear:
You need to copy the Neo-Geo bios (named "neogeo.zip") in the same folder as this program.
The program will detect if the bios is usable and wont let you proceed if the bios is missing or incompatible.

If the resulting cia doesn't boot (boots and kicks you out to the 3ds menu without warning) is most likely due to an incompatible romset, you can test your roms with the pc version of Final Burn Alpha or Retroarch before creating the cia to make sure that it will work.

Big games (like Metal Slug 3, SVC Chaos and most of the King of Fighters series) will take a while to boot, just wait a minute and you'll be greeted with the Neo-Geo bios like usual.

Key mapping:
The buttons are assigned as follow:
Neo-Geo A = 3DS B
Neo-Geo B = 3DS A
Neo-Geo C = 3DS Y
Neo-Geo D = 3DS X
Neo-Geo Start = 3DS Start
Neo-Geo Coin/Select = 3DS Select

Turbo button:
As of version 1.5.1 a turbo button has been added. This button has to be manually enabled by giving it a key map from the button remapping option.
It works like a shift button, any other button that you press while holding the turbo button will rapid fire.

Uni-bios usage instructions:
First, to navigate this menus you have to press A (B in 3DS buttons) to accept/change settings, B (A in 3DS buttons) to change setting in the opposite direction and C (Y in 3DS buttons) to go back.

To access the uni-bios menus you have to press A+B+C (B+A+Y in 3DS buttons) at the first screen (illustrated below).

The very first option is to configure the region and mode at what the game will run.

To access the dip switches you have to press B+C+D (A+Y+X in 3DS buttons) at the same screen as before.
Then go to the third option.

And then the second option.

You can change the game setting from there like the difficulty, timer, blood and such (most games will let you change difficulty and time from the game menu of you choose to run the game in console mode).

You can also access an in-game menu that contain cheats if you press Start+Select while playing.

Tools used to make this possible:
3dstool, bannertool, ctrtool, imagemagick convert and makerom.
And thanks to @Asdolo for his retroarch fork.

Hi, I've been trying to inject Sonic Pocket Adventure and Rockman Battle & Fighters
But whenever I tried booting the game in 3ds, the game just crashes with this screen (Screenshot attached with this post),

Is there any fix to this?
I've tried changing Region & Language, changing the BIOS and redownloading the roms, but nothing worked.

I am using a New 2DS LL I bought in Japan
The CFW is sys11.13.0-45J
and the UniBios...uh... I don't think I should upload that link here, please check the pm for that.
(EDIT: Oof, I'm still a new member so I couldn't send any PM)

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• D783F597-ED0D-4F40-B200-B73A5DF19BC7.png
    D783F597-ED0D-4F40-B200-B73A5DF19BC7.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 262
Last edited by operator25,

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
OP
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Hi, I've been trying to inject Sonic Pocket Adventure and Rockman Battle & Fighters
But whenever I tried booting the game in 3ds, the game just crashes with this screen (Screenshot attached with this post),

Is there any fix to this?
I've tried changing Region & Language, changing the BIOS and redownloading the roms, but nothing worked.

I am using a New 2DS LL I bought in Japan
The CFW is sys11.13.0-45J
and the UniBios...uh... I don't think I should upload that link here, please check the pm for that.
(EDIT: Oof, I'm still a new member so I couldn't send any PM)

Thank you in advance.
this is NOT a neogeo pocket emulator.

mashimus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the awesome program Sakitoshi!

Was wondering if you could add the following features:

1. Screenshot
2. Mapping of Load State and Save State Buttons
3. Suspend game when hitting the home button and qutting (then resuming when we re-launch the game)
4. Rewind

Thanks again!

D

Deleted User

Thank you for this; this is another great added value to my New 3DS XL.

Still not a fan of Head-to-Head Fighting Games with this handheld, so my injected titles are Shoot 'em ups in landscape orientation and Run and Guns including the infamous Metal Slug franchise. On all these titles I'm getting more than adequate gameplay FPS.

I don't have in-depth knowledge of what specific Neo Geo ROMs are; luckily, Neo Geo titles in the Merged ROMsets for MAME 0.223 that I have are running fine with this application, so I can attest to getting those just to avoid the headache.

Last edited by ,

BenjaMV

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
hola e estado instalando algunos juegos la mayoria an funcionado bien pero sengoku3, ashita no joe densetsu y Crossed sword 2 no se ejecutar abre y se sierran y en el caso de Crossed sword 2 el juego se cierra y pide reinicar la consola

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
hola e estado instalando algunos juegos la mayoria an funcionado bien pero sengoku3, ashita no joe densetsu y Crossed sword 2 no se ejecutar abre y se sierran y en el caso de Crossed sword 2 el juego se cierra y pide reinicar la consola

can you post in English please, as we are an English speaking forum and you are more likely to get help.

thank you.

chronoss

Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the

trad :

hello and i've been installing some games most of them have worked well but sengoku3, ashita no joe densetsu and Crossed sword 2 do not run open and they are closed and in the case of Crossed sword 2 the game is closed and asks to restart the console

Reactions: BenjaMV

BenjaMV

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
can you post in English please, as we are an English speaking forum and you are more likely to get help.

thank you.
hello and i've been installing some games most of them have worked well but sengoku3, ashita no joe densetsu and Crossed sword 2 do not run open and they are closed and in the case of Crossed sword 2 the game is closed and asks to restart the console

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

thanks for your translation

uhhh_adam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This sounds like a dumb question but could this be used for Bust-A-Move arcade games? I just remember them being in the machines as a kid

ZeroSick

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
thank you for this injector you made
the latesf fb alpha 2012 neo geo retroarch core had an audio problem with some big file sized neo geo roms and that bug is not present with older versions of the core but the retroarch website don't archive old versions of cores anymore and I cant find them anywhere either, I also found unofficial port of the libretro cores here that doesnt seem have audio bug since its based on earlier version of the core but the download links are dead.

I really wanted to play kof 2002, metal slug 5 and other neo geo games perfectly and this forwarder tool by yours is the only way for me to make audio work, its on older version of the core right? its such a life saver and I can't thank you enough.

zhuwz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
not really, but you can change the image. is inside the tools/assets_neogeo folder.
Hi, thank you for making this wonderful tool. I think it will be better if we can select different images for banner and icon. So we can use pictures in different aspect ratio to make both banner and icon full and not distorted inside their borders.

Also in RetroArch I can enable the parallax layer by turning on the 3D slider. In this mode, pixels are square, and game image looks pixel-perfect. Can you also add this function to your forwarder. Thanks.:)

Last edited by zhuwz,

daRealist

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm late to the party, but thanks for this great tool! I was really struggling to get Neo Geo games working full speed with the latest Retroarch but the version (or settings) with this injector solved the problems!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol