Homebrew [Release] Linux for the 3DS

D

Deleted User

can android run Windows 10?
Why are you asking if it can run Ubuntu? it would be like trying to stick 64_x86 Ubuntu 16.04 on a raspi
Sorry, but this is really bugging me... It's "x86_64", not "64_x86".

so this linux what does it look like desktop or just lines and commands
It's mostly "just lines and commands", but it also has a very limited desktop (which is pretty much the same thing, but with a few more buttons).

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Sorry, but this is really bugging me... It's "x86_64", not "64_x86".

It's mostly "just lines and commands", but it also has a very limited desktop (which is pretty much the same thing, but with a few more buttons).

pfft

Real men call it amd64

GBAFail

Smell my finger.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, but he said it as if it was impossible. If this was finished, it would be trivial to boot up Ubuntu on the 3DS. (And it is the same exact OS.)

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Yeah, but he said it as if it was impossible. If this was finished, it would be trivial to boot up Ubuntu on the 3DS. (And it is the same exact OS.)
It can't run the same software. It can't run x86 binaries.

GBAFail

Smell my finger.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It can't run the same software. It can't run x86 binaries.
98% of the software you'll want will run on the Pi. Anything open source. Which is most of the packages on GNU/Linux. It can't run x86 binaries but it can run the same software. You're mixing up cpu architectures and operating systems.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
98% of the software you'll want will run on the Pi. Anything open source. Which is most of the packages on GNU/Linux. It can't run x86 binaries but it can run the same software. You're mixing up cpu architectures and operating systems.
I'm not. ARM Ubuntu can't run x86-only software. Which does exist.

julsss

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
hi! I'm really new to this kind of things so I'm kinda stuck in the installation process. Where is exactly the payloads folder? I'm using hombrew. Sorry if my question is too dumb haha.

D

Deleted User

hi! I'm really new to this kind of things so I'm kinda stuck in the installation process. Where is exactly the payloads folder? I'm using hombrew. Sorry if my question is too dumb haha.

Do you have A9LH installed? Or just regular userland hombrew (i.e. the kind you launch from a game)? If you don't have A9LH, and you aren't on firmware version 11.3.0, then follow this guide completely. Be sure to not skip any steps. By the end of the guide, you should have a payloads folder.
If you are on 11.3.0, then you'll have to wait until we figure out a way to install A9LH on that. Sorry.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
This requires a kexploit afaik. Do you have CFW? What's your FW version?

julsss

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Do you have A9LH installed? Or just regular userland hombrew (i.e. the kind you launch from a game)? If you don't have A9LH, and you aren't on firmware version 11.3.0, then follow this guide completely. Be sure to not skip any steps. By the end of the guide, you should have a payloads folder.
If you are on 11.3.0, then you'll have to wait until we figure out a way to install A9LH on that. Sorry.
That helps a lot! Thank you very much, gonna try and install it now.

GBAFail

Smell my finger.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not. ARM Ubuntu can't run x86-only software. Which does exist.
Look. I said it won't run x86 binaries but all you have to do to run the program is a simple recompile. (I know it can't run closed source software compiled for x86. But, as I said in the comment you replied to, that's going to be less then 2% of the software you're going to want to run on GNU/Linux anyway.) If you can't understand that then I don't know what to tell you. (Not to mention you won't even need to compile because someone probably already did it. Just pull it from the repos. Example: "sudo apt install chromium-browser") I posted this message from my RaspberryPi 3 running Debian using the chromium browser. It even has flash support. I've got dosbox and openarena installed. They work completely fine with zero modification to the source code.

Last edited by GBAFail,

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Look. I said it won't run x86 binaries but all you have to do to run the program is a simple recompile. (I know it can't run closed source software compiled for x86. But, as I said in the comment you replied to, that's going to be less then 2% of the software you're going to want to run on GNU/Linux anyway.) If you can't understand that then I don't know what to tell you. (Not to mention you won't even need to compile because someone probably already did it. Just pull it from the repos. Example: "sudo apt install chromium-browser") I posted this message from my RaspberryPi 3 running Debian using the chromium browser. It even has flash support. I've got dosbox and openarena installed. They work completely fine with zero modification to the source code.
It isn't the same, regardless of binaries for ARM being available or not. And what if I do want to run closed software without available ARM binaries?

GBAFail

Smell my finger.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It isn't the same, regardless of binaries for ARM being available or not.
Holy shit. IT IS THE SAME EXACT PROGRAM. THE SAME EXACT SOURCE CODE. It's just compiled for a different architecture.
And what if I do want to run closed software without available ARM binaries?
That would fall in the 2% of software you can't use. There is more then likely an open source alternative to the program that you can use.

I don't think you know anything about coding and operating systems.

Last edited by GBAFail,

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Holy shit. IT IS THE SAME EXACT PROGRAM. THE SAME EXACT SOURCE CODE. It's just compiled for a different architecture.

That would fall in the 2% of software you can't use. There is more then likely an open source alternative to the program that you can use.

I don't think you know anything about coding and operating systems.
Well, you think wrong.

And I maintain what I said. If it isn't 100% the same, it isn't the same.

Last edited by gnmmarechal,

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
You certainly haven't done anything to show otherwise. Not to mention you asked questions that were answered in the comments you replied to.
I know I did. I just wanted to emphasize the fact that there are things it won't run that I would on a x86 Ubuntu system, and therefore it isn't the same thing.
I care not if it does 98% the same thing, or if it is just recompiled to ARM. It isn't the same thing as long as it isn't the same thing.

Last edited by gnmmarechal,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1