Homebrew [Release] CIAngel - download GOOD cias right on your 3ds :)

SSMatt123

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.badgerbadgerbadger.com
XP
Country
So basically the safest thing to do is just get the CIA with CIAngel and install it with FBI? (Installing it with ciangel installs the ticket too but downloading doesn't iirc)

I admit I like the eshop thing for convenience, but I don't want to take too much risk.

Drakia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So basically the safest thing to do is just get the CIA with CIAngel and install it with FBI? (Installing it with ciangel installs the ticket too but downloading doesn't iirc)

I admit I like the eshop thing for convenience, but I don't want to take too much risk.
Installing a CIA via any means installs a ticket, there's no difference between using CIAngel in Install Mode, and using it in Download Mode + FBI to install (Aside from time to download/install)

superbudvar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I really need to write up a FAQ at some point, if only I wasn't too busy playing games to do it...

If it's any consolation, I'm suffering from the same issue, @Drakia.

That and my sarcastic side is more inclined to find every post that answers the questions and just to answer all the repeated questions by linking them back to those

So far, I've resisted the temptation fairly well I reckon.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're most likely thinking of "cryptofixing", where the game needs the SEED key (Which you get from just visiting the eShop, you shouldn't have to redownload it at all. And the newer FBI versions automatically install).

Yeah that's what I was thinking of. I knew it had to do something with the encryption and such but didn't want to mis-speak. As a GW user I've had to re-download to get the SEED file, but perhaps I never actually tried just opening eShop after installing a CIA. Lately though, any SNES VC I get from the ISO site won't even install (crypto fixed or not), so hopefully your guys little homebrew can remedy that! :)

superbudvar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

No.

The safest thing to do is to not use CIAngel at all and buy everything. Anything else is just a slippery slope of risk.

From a remote point of view, there is very little difference;
  • Download CIA - this will be "seen" as downloading tickets and data from the remote servers
  • Install Title - this will leave the same trail as above, but also downloads the seeds
  • Install Tickets - this will just be seen as a download of tickets (and seeds, I think)
Using FBI solves none of these (non?) "issues" (though it is an awesome app)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yeah that's what I was thinking of. I knew it had to do something with the encryption and such but didn't want to mis-speak. As a GW user I've had to re-download to get the SEED file, but perhaps I never actually tried just opening eShop after installing a CIA. Lately though, any SNES VC I get from the ISO site won't even install (crypto fixed or not), so hopefully your guys little homebrew can remedy that! :)

My understanding is that you actually have to visit the title's download page within the eShop, not just open it?

This may be your issue and is why I could not fix a US title on my EUR console

Reactions: Drakia

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No.
My understanding is that you actually have to visit the title's download page within the eShop, not just open it?

This may be your issue and is why I could not fix a US title on my EUR console

Perhaps so. I'm also running into a similar issue when an update is released for a game, but I have a EUR version installed rather than US. Title ID's don't match so the update can't be installed out of region, so I'm hoping to get any EUR CIA I have installed switched over to remedy that as well.

I'm sure there's other fixes I could try, but as you get older time is much more limited to do that kind of tinkering and searching threads for half-written tutorials haha.

superbudvar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Perhaps so. I'm also running into a similar issue when an update is released for a game, but I have a EUR version installed rather than US. Title ID's don't match so the update can't be installed out of region, so I'm hoping to get any EUR CIA I have installed switched over to remedy that as well.

I'm sure there's other fixes I could try, but as you get older time is much more limited to do that kind of tinkering and searching threads for half-written tutorials haha.

Yes; the updater will happily sit there for hours if necessary downloading the update, only to then fail to install it if the region doesn't match; been there, done that.

Maybe if would be a nice feature of CIAngel to look for updates for installed games, and alert you
and maybe keep a list of previously installed DLC so it can re-install if missing
and maybe if a user has titles not in the wings file, ask if it can upload the keys to that site...

I've not added these things myself at https://github.com/llakssz/CIAngel/issues and no-one else has, so I assume they aren't that desperately wanted. Still, they are in my head, and I'm sure I'll get to them eventually.

As to tinkering and searching; I know the feeling, but you best not tell me you're, like, 18 yrs old, and claiming that :rofl2:

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes; the updater will happily sit there for hours if necessary downloading the update, only to then fail to install it if the region doesn't match; been there, done that.

Maybe if would be a nice feature of CIAngel to look for updates for installed games, and alert you
and maybe keep a list of previously installed DLC so it can re-install if missing
and maybe if a user has titles not in the wings file, ask if it can upload the keys to that site...

I've not added these things myself at https://github.com/llakssz/CIAngel/issues and no-one else has, so I assume they aren't that desperately wanted. Still, they are in my head, and I'm sure I'll get to them eventually.

As to tinkering and searching; I know the feeling, but you best not tell me you're, like, 18 yrs old, and claiming that :rofl2:

Ha! No, 30 in age but 20 at heart. Full time job, house, starting a family and all that. I do like those features you mention. Alerting would be nice, but if it can download out-of-region updates for those games that would be a huge plus I think!

superbudvar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ha! No, 30 in age but 20 at heart. Full time job, house, starting a family and all that. I do like those features you mention. Alerting would be nice, but if it can download out-of-region updates for those games that would be a huge plus I think!
You realise it actually can now, just not automatically?

The updates have the same last 4 characters of the product serial, but with a U before the -, so if any updates are available, and in the wings.json, then you can search by serial and manually install them in the normal fashion

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You realise it actually can now, just not automatically?

The updates have the same last 4 characters of the product serial, but with a U before the -, so if any updates are available, and in the wings.json, then you can search by serial and manually install them in the normal fashion

Cool. I haven't installed or used it yet but probably will tonight. wings.json is the file that lets the application know what games/files are available on eShop, and not all games are available through this because of that right?

superbudvar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
sheesh...

To expand a little:

Nothing

I can think of a few things they could maybe implement, depending exactly on how their infrastructure works. If they can't prevent it right now, they have access to their servers, and the ability to push updates to peoples consoles, so they could always implement something to prevent further exploitation.

Last edited by superbudvar,

Glix

Trophies
XP
Country
I suspect that when you fire up eshop, it correlates your installed tickets to the NNID profile for that device, and then takes out the invalid keys. When you load up your home menu again, it scans the installed tickets (which your dlc + themes are now invalid) and doesn't find them. Note: you can just re-install those tickets as the actual data still exists (just don't open the theme menu if you use the shuffle mode otherwise you will wipe your choices). Once the tickets are back in place, dlc and themes work again. On a CFW we could probably debug and block writes to that sector either all the time (ie read only mode) or in a certain boot mode (like an install mode, yay thanks M$). Don't as me to do it, I'm too lazy and stuck on the .Net ladder.

Can't see many devs supporting this though as it could be construed as pure piracy, however I'd argue those with multiple DS's have already been ripped off, let them have a little back, ie they might own 200 themes, yet can only have 100 installed, and only shuffle 10, why not let them use them on their other devices? Oh because N don't want you using your account across more than one device.

Last edited by Glix,
Reactions: superbudvar

Ryumaru

Creator of themes for 3DS
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine

I use the function of CiaAngel installing cia directly. It downloads and installs without error some games.

superbudvar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I suspect that when you fire up eshop, it correlates your installed tickets to the NNID profile for that device, and then takes out the invalid keys. When you load up your home menu again, it scans the installed tickets (which your dlc + themes are now invalid) and doesn't find them.
I don't disagree with you, but it's been mentioned that if you have never purchased/downloaded themes or DLC from the eShop that this may not be an issue, so while I think you're on the right track, it seems there is a trigger for this check, and it's based on something other than whether the ticket is installed, invalid or not.

Note: you can just re-install those tickets as the actual data still exists (just don't open the theme menu if you use the shuffle mode otherwise you will wipe your choices). Once the tickets are back in place, dlc and themes work again. On a CFW we could probably
That's good to know, would make a re-install option quicker if it didn't have to grab everything every time. And yes, I reckon CFW definitely could in some way or form, but that's another project really.

I use the function of CiaAngel installing cia directly. It downloads and installs without error some games.
Well, apart from the "some" bit; that is the expected behaviour. Are you looking for help with the ones that don't? As, in that case, some more information would be useful (game title,game region,your 3ds region, 3ds type, CIAngel version that kind of thing)

deadf1sh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France

I've not added these things myself at https://github.com/llakssz/CIAngel/issues and no-one else has, so I assume they aren't that desperately wanted.
I want all of that
That would be awesome.
Mostly The first one because you can't search easily for japanese things on ciangel.

---------------------

Regarding dlc and eshop, i have 2 EU N3DS on which i never bought anything from eshop, i don't even have a NNID, yet all my EU region dlc get deleted if i visit eshop.
I may have a legit free dlc however, if that exists. I'm thinking about a puzzle & dragons DLC which come from i don't know where.

Last edited by deadf1sh,

Glix

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't disagree with you, but it's been mentioned that if you have never purchased/downloaded themes or DLC from the eShop that this may not be an issue, so while I think you're on the right track, it seems there is a trigger for this check, and it's based on something other than whether the ticket is installed, invalid or not.

I thought that too, but I made the mistake of just installing the tik for themes, then visiting the theme side store. Now every time a check is triggered (example, DBZ on detecting the update/dlc install, checks the shop), I lose the themes tik even though I never bought or downloaded any free themes (I think I lose the dlc for games too on this check even though I don't own the dlc for smash for example).

As I said, we'd need to get a CFW that hooks into the calls and logs them so we can see the transactions. In the meantime, I'm thinking either a fast reinstall method (I just hive off the tiks I want into a folder and reinstall all at once with FBI whilst skipping cdn) in CIAngel would be useful (ie make titles *favourites so you can instant queue them and download/install tiks, wings.json method could probably be cloned for this, favourites.json so we can hand edit it if we want).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Lonely here
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Anybody?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I want my money back... Drug test? No drugs to test but they want me to pee in a cup! Lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Better call Pedro you're up in smoke
    +2
  • C @ Clayton44333:
    hey any1 know if there is a new version of the ps4 homebrew store ?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Finally there are people here
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We're figments of your imagination
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: We're figments of your imagination