Hardware region locked?

regnad

Button Masher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Does anyone know if the 3DS is going to be region locked?

I ask this as a native English speaker living in Japan. If Nintendo does this, I'll be plenty unhappy.

D

Deleted User

IIRC they said that they haven't decided whether they use a region lock or not.

D

Deleted User

I also think it'll be region locked because they've already done it with DSi enhanced/exclusive games.

Reggie said:
He said the company was still determining whether games for the machine would be region-locked, so as to only play, like most console games, in systems sold in certain regions of the world. He noted that downloadable games for the DSi were the first games for Nintendo's DS line to be region-locked.

source

I knew I read that somewhere.
smile.gif

giratina16

Born This Way
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Takeshi said:
I also think it'll be region locked because they've already done it with DSi enhanced/exclusive games.

Reggie said:
He said the company was still determining whether games for the machine would be region-locked, so as to only play, like most console games, in systems sold in certain regions of the world. He noted that downloadable games for the DSi were the first games for Nintendo's DS line to be region-locked.

source

smile.gif
So then what about DS games that are foreign? Most of my games on my DS are American. I heard the reason why consoles were region locked was because of the TV's, they use different power levels I think it was. Seeing as it's a portable console it'll be pointless to put a region lock on it.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think it'll be locked. If it was region free, Nintendo wouldn't have a way to screw over Europe & Australia with late release dates.

D

Deleted User

giratina16 said:
So then what about DS games that are foreign? Most of my games on my DS are American. I heard the reason why consoles were region locked was because of the TV's, they use different power levels I think it was. Seeing as it's a portable console it'll be pointless to put a region lock on it.
Normal DS games probably won't be affected (they aren't affected on a DSi).

QUOTE(Ichiban @ Jun 21 2010, 11:55 PM) Doubt it, none of ninty's handhelds have been locked right?
DSi enhanced/exclusive games are region locked. That's one of the reasons why I still haven't got the new Korg DS-10+.

giratina16

Born This Way
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Takeshi said:
giratina16 said:
Normal DS games probably won't be affected (they aren't affected on a DSi).

QUOTE(Ichiban @ Jun 21 2010, 11:55 PM) Doubt it, none of ninty's handhelds have been locked right?
DSi enhanced/exclusive games are region locked. That's one of the reasons why I still haven't got the new Korg DS-10+.
Yes well DSiWare is DLC so it's slightly difficult to get DLC from another country.

D

Deleted User

giratina16 said:
Yes well DSiWare is DLC so it's slightly difficult to get DLC from another country.
I wasn't talking about DSiWare, I was talking about every DSi enhanced game. The latest release was "Toy Story 3 (E)" for example, which can't be played on a US/JPN DSi.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
giratina16 said:
Takeshi said:

Reggie said:

source

smile.gif

They used a different amount of lines to display the image.
DVD's were region locked because it's more profitable for the companies.
DSiWare was region locked because of the differences in game ratings in the different regions (the official Nintendo line).

I hope it is not region-locked.
3DSWare, I could work with, but there is absolutely no reason for the cartridges to be region locked in my view.

e3.nintendo.com
Parental Controls:
Parental controls similar to the Nintendo DSi system will be included.
I hope this just means they're offering a pin-code setup, and including all region's rating systems. Surely the 3DS has hardware capable of keeping a few extra rating values.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bet it will be region locked. They're getting worse and worse at this and treat the consumer like an animal. With any luck though, someone will hack that bullshit.

Or they could go the PSP route and make it developer's choice whether to put in region protection.

Arwen20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I imagine they will be region locked especially since Nintendo made the DSi is region locked. I would prefer that it not be region locked. That way, if the purple 3DS showcased at E3 this year is a Japanese exclusive then I could import!

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
OGTiago said:
That would suck major balls as I live in Europe and some games can only be found in JP/NA.

Fuck Nintendo if the lock it. Fuck them.QUOTE(gameandmatch @ Jun 22 2010, 09:57 PM) They would probably just region lock the Ware games and not the actual games.
They did it (region lock everything) with the DSi, why wouldn't they do it again?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yWIobzBdKc