Hacking Reggie! - NSMBWii Level Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pop006

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just wanted to let you guys know, that Treeki has been working his ass off coding images into Reggie!. I have been collecting the images with help from Skawo, but our work is pretty easy compared to Treeki's. The coding in of the images is dull, repetitive, and occasionally near impossible (can anyone say Scale Platforms). But Treeki always pulls through and make them work. The things he has done to make this editor the best available, is nothing less than remarkable.

I hope you guys appreciate all the hard work that has gone into making this editor, and even though it will be hard to appreciate all the countless hours spent perfecting it, when you use it and something works perfectly or comes together easily, that Treeki and the gang did whatever necessary to make it so.

I cannot wait to see some of the levels that come out of this app once it goes live in a short period of time!

SFenton

ಠ_ಠ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just a quick question that I'm fairly sure the answer to which is no, but we aren't going to be able to add extra levels, correct, just replace? This is because of Riivolution replacing files as opposed to adding as well as WiiScrubber not being able to add more if I'm right.

If I'm wrong, please do inform me.

Pop006

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sfenton, riivolution is working on the ability to add new levels without replacing other ones, but it is not as easy done as said... the Newer Project is also trying to figure this out but again adding levels without replacing the originals is going to be EXTREAMLY difficult.
DeadlyFoez: I'm sorry to hear that you are losing respect. But if you have read any of the last couple pages then you would know that reggie is in its Release Candidate form... which means no more new features, only bug fixes. Basically once we stop finding any bugs in the Reggie! we are using, it will be released.
I can personally comment on the fact that Treeki and the gang developed Reggie to be one hell of a level editor, and every feature and aspect of the program will be necessary to build the best possible levels for this game. TRUST ME when I say that once this editor is released (shortly) that you WILL NOT be disappointed!

AJAX_2500

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow dude I think your a joke.. You ever tried to code something like this? Or even anything for that matter? It's not easy and you have to fix things that don't work properly as you add them.. Not after you have added everything.. Feel lucky someone is taking the time out of their busy day to make something that he gets nothing for, that is except for the chance to use his own creation. You never had respect to begin with..

Pop006

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
AJAX is right... this app has been developed in about 3 months, out of peoples free time and free work... Even so, what this editor can do after 3 months of development, is .NOTHING. LESS. THEN. REMARKABLE!

Jose_Gallardo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pepxl said:
lets hope this app is as good as your making it out to be then

Ditto.

But I'll be content with what will be made available. Just something more to spice up my NSMBWii gameplay[editing] experience.

astraldata

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AJAX_2500 said:
Wow dude I think your a joke.. You ever tried to code something like this? Or even anything for that matter? It's not easy and you have to fix things that don't work properly as you add them.. Not after you have added everything.. Feel lucky someone is taking the time out of their busy day to make something that he gets nothing for, that is except for the chance to use his own creation. You never had respect to begin with..

I second that.

Have a little respect for someone who's busting their rear for YOUR satisfaction without you giving them anything in return aside from a hard time. Hype or no hype, your post adds nothing to help anyone, is pretty much pointless, and is simply a waste of mental processing power that would be better used to SUPPORT the author instead of shooting them down just to make you feel better about yourself. After all, try coding something yourself that is both worthwhile and user friendly, and THEN try saying that.

T-Error

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
DeadlyFoez said:
I'm loosing respect.
LOL You wouldn't recognize respect even if I would hit you with some. Flaming is nothing you can be proud of. Even if it will take 3 years he will get all my respect. You should try to do something creative sometimes instead of killing your brain with booze and throwing with feces all the time.

SFenton

ಠ_ಠ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Pop006 said:
Sfenton, riivolution is working on the ability to add new levels without replacing other ones, but it is not as easy done as said... the Newer Project is also trying to figure this out but again adding levels without replacing the originals is going to be EXTREAMLY difficult.

You have no idea how happy this makes me. If we can add more files to games, on the fly, well, the possibilities for other games are even MORE endless then they are now. Thanks for passing this information on to me!

T-Error

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
DeadlyFoez said:
astraldata said:
AJAX_2500 said:

I second that.

Have a little respect for someone who's busting their rear for YOUR satisfaction without you giving them anything in return aside from a hard time. Hype or no hype, your post adds nothing to help anyone, is pretty much pointless, and is simply a waste of mental processing power that would be better used to SUPPORT the author instead of shooting them down just to make you feel better about yourself. After all, try coding something yourself that is both worthwhile and user friendly, and THEN try saying that.
Well, if you are referring to me with your statement, then obviously you dont know me at all. How about just fixing the bugs that are with a current revision and then releasing it before adding new features. If there are people out there that are making custom levels, and there are, then if it good enough for them to play with then it should be good enough for the general public. Otherwise the author should have kept his mouth shut about this instead of drawing 3 months worth of hype just to make people wait even longer.

The author will still find more features to add no matter what, but how about giving it a rest and stop trying to make it perfect before the wii is obsolete. This has now become a joke.

I supported the "Make it perfect before releasing", but fuck, that was over a month ago. Stop hyping this up if it will never be completed while you are still releasing it to other people.

If it is good enough to release to other people to the point that they can make videos on youtube about the levels that they created then it should be good enough for everyone else.

You know, fuck it. I will try to see if there is something that I can do myself. I'm sick of waiting for vaporware. This is a joke and it will NEVER be completed when the author can;t stop himself from making "New" features. This project is becoming overkill with ridiculousness. Give it a rest already and make a project time table.

You know, windows 7 did not come out first. No there were MANY different versions of windows first with MANY service pack. Stop trying to be a king in the area and let other people enjoy and GIVE FEEDBACK before trying to make it even better.

This has been well over drawn out. I would never advertise an app if I was so far from completion. This is a joke now.

What would Windows be without user feedback? Where would he be if he coded this all the time without support of others he found in this forum? Without all the new ideas and requests the guys are coming up with aside from stupid flamewars like this and being impatient? Sure it sucks that it isnt released yet and you could get the impression that he is hyping something that doesn't exist. But a team is already working with it, testing it, and thats pretty much how software development works . Windows also was never given to the public before it was done and fully working. And missing sprites and a incomplete interface is not fully working for me. And remember he's only 15 and wouldn't get any cookies from attention!!! You getting a stiffy from attention doesn't mean that everybody does.

Treeki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gibraltar
I was writing a pretty long post and closed the tab by accident and lost it. :| Stupid mouse gestures.

DeadlyFoez said:
How about just fixing the bugs that are with a current revision and then releasing it before adding new features.That's exactly what I'm doing now. If you had read the thread, about 2-3 pages ago (a few days ago) I posted saying I had just released RC1 to testers. RC1 was (and will be) the last release with new features before the final release.

DeadlyFoez said:
Otherwise the author should have kept his mouth shut about this instead of drawing 3 months worth of hype just to make people wait even longer.If I knew what was going to happen, I would have. I originally planned for Regie to be a basic editor - a simple hack of the NSMB DS editor.

I had one working (with a terrible interface) when I posted the thread - it's the one you can see in the original screenshots. A couple of days after that, I decided to rewrite it in Python. I had a working (although extremely buggy) release back in January, but it's taken longer than I expected to work out the bugs. I actually haven't added that many new features since then (just sprite display and a few other minor things).

QUOTE(DeadlyFoez @ Feb 21 2010, 03:48 AM)
This project will not be completed anytime soo so it is best to close this thread because it is pissing so many people off.
That's what you think
wink.gif
If it wasn't going to be "completed anytime soon", why would I have just released RC1?

I'm aiming to release RC2 to testers tomorrow, and the final release around the end of this month. I'm not setting a date in stone because I'm not 100% sure if I'll be able to make it.

I feel bad about having taken so long to release it, but I can't exactly change the past - the only thing I can do is finish it and release it as soon as possible, which is exactly what I'm doing now. (Or I would be, if I wasn't writing this post)

Also, how long would it have taken you to code a full level editor for this game - as well as figuring out the formats used, reverse-engineering code, learning a UI toolkit from scratch, fixing bugs, etc? Could you do it as quickly as you claim? This project contains close to 12k lines of code so far - and that's just the editor itself, it doesn't count the effort spent in everything else.

WiiShizzza

Graphics juggler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Treeki said:
I was writing a pretty long post and closed the tab by accident and lost it. :| Stupid mouse gestures.

DeadlyFoez said:
How about just fixing the bugs that are with a current revision and then releasing it before adding new features.That's exactly what I'm doing now. If you had read the thread, about 2-3 pages ago (a few days ago) I posted saying I had just released RC1 to testers. RC1 was (and will be) the last release with new features before the final release.

DeadlyFoez said:
Otherwise the author should have kept his mouth shut about this instead of drawing 3 months worth of hype just to make people wait even longer.If I knew what was going to happen, I would have. I originally planned for Regie to be a basic editor - a simple hack of the NSMB DS editor.

I had one working (with a terrible interface) when I posted the thread - it's the one you can see in the original screenshots. A couple of days after that, I decided to rewrite it in Python. I had a working (although extremely buggy) release back in January, but it's taken longer than I expected to work out the bugs. I actually haven't added that many new features since then (just sprite display and a few other minor things).

QUOTE(DeadlyFoez @ Feb 21 2010, 03:48 AM)
This project will not be completed anytime soo so it is best to close this thread because it is pissing so many people off.
That's what you think
wink.gif
If it wasn't going to be "completed anytime soon", why would I have just released RC1?

I'm aiming to release RC2 to testers tomorrow, and the final release around the end of this month. I'm not setting a date in stone because I'm not 100% sure if I'll be able to make it.

I feel bad about having taken so long to release it, but I can't exactly change the past - the only thing I can do is finish it and release it as soon as possible, which is exactly what I'm doing now. (Or I would be, if I wasn't writing this post)

Also, how long would it have taken you to code a full level editor for this game - as well as figuring out the formats used, reverse-engineering code, learning a UI toolkit from scratch, fixing bugs, etc? Could you do it as quickly as you claim? This project contains close to 12k lines of code so far - and that's just the editor itself, it doesn't count the effort spent in everything else.

respect and endurance for you!!

T-Error

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@Treeki: You don't have to feel bad for anything. Be proud! So far what ive seen this is an amazing user friendly editor. I know how much fun coding is and how ambitious you can get.(especially if you create a tool to create) Take your time and enjoy it. And Im sure all the haters and impatient people will be quiet once it is released.

TempusC

Trophies
Website
www.FatalFrame4.net
XP
Country
Canada
I actually learnt an entire programming language (python) and a massive UI toolkit (Qt’s python API) just for this project. I’ve taught three people enough about data structures in order to contribute useful test results and to infer data from behaviour - one of them has gotten quite good at it.

Just as some back story - before this project, I had written two apps in C, one in C++ and about two dozen applescripts. Oh, and a half dozen php five liners. Total lines of ‘code', less than 750. Out of the 12k lines of code for this project, about 3.5-4k are mine.

If you were half as motivated to help as you are to whine about it, you’d have been able to do the same, right?

toejam316

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Here's a surprise - DeadlyFoez, the troll (Yes, I'm calling you a troll again) is talking smack about someone who's trying to help the community out by developing a damn fine looking app.

I'm genuinely amused that he hasn't been banned.

Treeki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gibraltar
Here are a few more fun statistics about the scope of this project:
- 464 known sprites (out of 483 total) - where about 16 of the unknown sprites don't show anything in-game or simply crash
- 1231 documented sprite properties
- 162 sprites with images
- 382 sprite image files (although many sprites rely on more than one image)
- 428kb of code (in Python and C)
- 94 days of development (since I started working on the Python rewrite)

As for Tempus's post, here's all the stuff I can think of that he's worked on off hand, and which wouldn't be in Reggie (or would have taken me longer to do) otherwise:
- Zone/background properties
- Background previews
- Copy/paste
- Grid
- Screenshots
- Level metadata
- Help file
- A lot of research about the level file data
- Custom graphics to replace 3D tiles

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the update Treeki, I am looking forward to the release. This thread has gotten out of control. Are any of the testers planning on releasing some vids to show off any of the final features? I would love to see a "how it works" video and an after shot as well. That would be awesome. Hope it goes well dude and again thanks for the work.

If there are any new ones, can someone post a link to some new custom levels? I seen the pirate ship one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6aie4t8lZ7k&pp=ygUuaSBhbSBub3QgZ2F5IGJ1dCAyMCBkb2xsYXJzIGlzIDIwIGRv... +1