Regarding the new Hotmail/Msn look

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
As much as I dislike Windows 8 the new Outlook design is a really major improvement upon the cluttered and confusing layout that was the old Hotmail. I've been using it since the first day it was possible and I've never once looked back at the old design.

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The worst part is that I can't find a basic HTML interface like every other webmail provider has. The last big update was bad enough, but with this crap clicking an email or folder either reloads the whole page and does nothing else or waits a minute and a half with no confirmation it's actually doing anything. I imagine plenty of other people with terrible internet connections feel the same way. I would just switch to using a desktop email client but I recall Thunderbird constantly spitting errors about not letting me check my Hotmail address as often as I could and did for any other provider, and it doesn't help if I'm not on my own machine.

And lol at Windows 8 "WORKS WELL". My old laptop was designed for Vista and went through every publicly-available version of Windows 7 Ultimate with a total of maybe four crashes. I had three times that amount in my first week alone with Windows 8. I can't say quite the same for my current subnotebook, but only because it shipped with a bad stick of RAM and I insisted on using it anyways, even though it crashed every 1-3 hours and the replacement took nearly a week to arrive. And last I checked, there was still no official option to disable the Metro UI. The whole thing is laughable.

Let me put this another way: I've had less problems with Windows ME and Vista COMBINED than I did with my first month of Windows 8. Neither of my portable machines is using it anymore, and thank god I never upgraded the family's computer to Windows 8 when they asked me to.

Engert

I love me
OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
But Microsoft wants to expand their portfolio so they're jumping on Mobile/Tablet bandwagon.

The whole thing is laughable.

Have you seen Server 2013? That's fucking laughable right there.

Welcome to Microsoft's Windows Administration for babies.
Microsoft assistant shows up.
What would you like to do next? Configure a new domain controller or join an existing forest?

tumblr_lhv505PtkC1qgh8qto1_400.jpg

Litagano Motscoud

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I deal with it every day. It will remain crappy. Windows 8 will live in infamy as the shittiest O.S. ever and Microsoft's desperate attempts to match Apple in the tablet sector.
Windows 8 will be compared to Windows ME (Mistake Edition) and Windows Vista.

KjPEbxk.gif

Carnivean

STARMAN
Trophies
XP
Country
I prefer it by far to the old layout, same as the new office 2013 look. I feel minimalism works far better on productivity software with whites and blacks than on an entire OS with bright colours where it looks childish.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont use Metro much, but Win8 isnt half as bad as you guys make it out to be. Sure, the fact you have to install 3rd party ware is a bit stupid, but if you guys actually use it on a day to day basis you can argue its not better then 7. The only thing they really did that pisses me off is they weakened the Control Panel (Things like user accouts are part of PC settings now) and the lack of Start menu.

In other words, stop crying about it, give it a shot, and you'll see it isnt as shit as the internet hypes it up to be.

Reactions: Litagano Motscoud

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
there's no Start Menu.

Yes there is.... it's just full screen now. You get to it in the same way you got to the old start menu (by pressing the start button on your keyboard), and you search for items in the same way you did in Windows Vista/7 (by typing in the name of the application you want to run and letting the computer do the work of finding it for you).

Kwartel

The fairest in all the land
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
No perceptible improvements that 8 has over 7 driver or performance-wise. I'll stick with 7. Haters gonna hate.
Except your computer starts 2 times faster and things like mice, printers, Bluetooth devices and the such has got better support. Especially mice, since they don't have drivers but true native support now.

And people bitching about Metro or "Modern UI": It's just the start menu, but it looks better now and you can organise stuff better. The whole press the Windows key and type what you want mechanism still works, so it's just cleaner and has more features.

About the design: it's 2013 and minimalism is easy on the eyes and keeps things more organised.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
About the design: it's 2013 and minimalism is easy on the eyes and keeps things more organised, and should be for tablets/Touchscreen PCs only.
FTFY. The Windows 8 Metro UI is good for Tablets/touch screen PCs. On any old Laptop, it's pretty pointless and clunky. Yes, it works, but it's more bloated then it needs to be.

Rogue_Syst3m

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i was just wondering if it was me, or does it see like win 8 is more for touch screen tablets?

not trying to start a war just an honest question?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Shubshub @ Shubshub: oshit its the real jdbye