Hacking r4i gold vs r4i dsn

dalto

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there much difference between the r4i gold and the r4i dsn cards?

I have not been able to find much. It seems like they both support Wood r4.

kineticUk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
ywg releases the r4iDSN version of wood together with the r4 and rpg versions.

I think (not 100% sure) r4ids.cn team release their version of wood with permission and they handle the code/cart specific support issues rather than ywg.

The versions must differ slightly to function on the specific hardware. I've found ywg releases for the rpg/r4 very polished. I can't say the same for the some of the r4ids.cn versions unfortunately. (having said that I think ywg wood rpg/r4 is the best kernel/firmware/loader out there, if only the r4igold's was as stable as ywg's..)
I really like the r4igold hardware (so far most problems with software have been fixed eventually and I've heard the r4ids.cn support is good) but I wish ywg released the software like he does for r4/rpg.

I know little about the r4iDSN hardware but I've heard nothing bad.

jimmyemunoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It appears as though the r4iDSN is not built as nicely as the r4i Gold 3DS from r4ids.cn. Look at the circuit board and the gold tooth contacts, for instance.

ywg

Trophies
XP
Country
It appears as though the r4iDSN is not built as nicely as the r4i Gold 3DS from r4ids.cn. Look at the circuit board and the gold tooth contacts, for instance.
yesterday I got 'r4i dsn 3ds' and 'r4i gold 3ds'. They looks absolutely the same. If you remove label you can't differs one from another. Even a small visible pcb part same. Also I have use one 'r4i dsn non3ds' cart from october'2009 as a main developing cart. A big stress for contacts. But till now everything is ok. For example in ak2i that I used contacts died in 4 months. Fully. And I also have one transcend microsd card with died contacts — this take for me a little less than 3 years.

jimmyemunoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yesterday I got 'r4i dsn 3ds' and 'r4i gold 3ds'. They looks absolutely the same. If you remove label you can't differs one from another. Even a small visible pcb part same. Also I have use one 'r4i dsn non3ds' cart from october'2009 as a main developing cart. A big stress for contacts. But till now everything is ok. For example in ak2i that I used contacts died in 4 months. Fully. And I also have one transcend microsd card with died contacts — this take for me a little less than 3 years.
I posted pictures in another thread here yesterday. The R4ids.cn Team has a new "9" PCB and a new "A" PCB, both no longer contain an Actel chip. Please look down by the contacts on the r4ids.cn cart that you are comparing, is there a 6,8,9, or A? I'm asking to see if the r4iDSN team did a new revision also. My statement was made before the revision of the PCB from 8+ (9 and A) Please answer. On another note, you won't get an argument out of me when referring to the build quality of an Acekard.

dalto

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually picked up one of each and the build quality is night and day.

The one from r4ids.cn is substantially better built. It weighs more and feels much more solid. I would say the build quality is better than an Acekard.

The one from r4idsn.com is not nearly as well built as an acekard. The pcb is floating around in the cart. I have quite a few flashcarts and this is easily the worst from a build quality perspective.

Reactions: 1 person

jimmyemunoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please look down by the contacts on the r4ids.cn cart that you are comparing, is there a 6,8,9, or A?
5 on gold and dsn ones.
Damn,you definitely have some older ones.
Functionally, they're exactly the same. The gold cart is built better though...
Other than the arguable build quality, I read that there's one difference between the cards. R4iDSN uses NOR flash and R4ids.cn uses Serial flash.

jimmyemunoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

jimmyemunoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU

Now with extra redundancy!
Trophies
XP
Country

Serke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Speaking of contacts, this picture sure looks scary.
What would make you say that?
Corroded contacts.
Yes, but it doesn't exactly look 'scary'.
There's nothing scary about the picture itself. The possibility of the same thing happening to my cart after I buy it, that's what I find scary. Also, speaking of buying, this picture scares me off. ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    This is how I want to bone but it's my views that I know are right
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    👈 [belongs to one]
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish people that think they're right about everything didn't exist half the time
    Such as you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's your way of thinking
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I bet it be tough finding a job, if you were a nudist.
    or vice versa
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah it's easy all they gotta do is blow long breaths of air
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Confronts a nudist "Why be a nudist?" "I'm not a nudist you dick, I'm homeless and poor."
    +1
    I'm also saving 💰 . You know how much it is to just wash your clothes? pffffft
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I saved 1k this month by being poor tbh
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Been eating Ramen all month, but my PC is badass!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ramen still delicious don't care how much money I'll have
    +1
  • Minox @ Minox:
    I'm eating less, but mostly because I'm trying to avoid getting called heavy again during this year's health exam
    +1
  • Minox @ Minox:
    There's only so many ways they can say "You're fat by our country's standards"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My cholesterol was almost 350 so really stopped going out lol
    [uploads some 🐟 for you] :D @Minox
  • Minox @ Minox:
    I'll stick with my kimchi thank you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Triglycerides almost 900
  • Minox @ Minox:
    No idea what any of those things you mention are
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Cholesterol and Triglycerides? Basically a way they measure fatty cells in your blood
    Cholesterol is sorta high, according to my doc
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been taking fiber pills, eating more grapes, switched to wheat bread in hopes to lower it
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I've been taking fiber pills, eating more grapes, switched to wheat bread in hopes to lower it