Hacking R4i 3DS RTS changes packaging/artwork?

ccorbcc

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Today, I received my R4i Gold 3DS which I ordered from real hot stuff Hong Kong. It seems working fine on my DS Lite for a quick check. However, upon close inspection of the packaging and the flashcart itself (see the 2 pics attached), I found some obvious differences to the images I can google (in fact is not the same as the picture shown on real hot stuff's site):

Packaging:
1. The big "R4" is smaller and closer to top left rather than in the center of the package.
2. The "3DS in red balloon" moves up upward and is close to the top right corner of the flashcart rather than next to the middle of the flash cart.
3. "Revolution for DS" is in black and different font.
4. "www.r4ids.cn" has bigger size.

Flashcart:
1. "R4" is less bold
2. "4" in "R4" has an extra underscore.
3. "RTS" is closer to the left edge of the balloon rather than in the center.
4. "i" in circle seems bolder.

Anyone who has bought R4i Gold 3DS recently? Have I bought a fake card? I heard that real hot stuff hong kong is quite reputable. Please share your views. Thanks.
r4igold1.jpg
r4igold2.jpg

Rocc0

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Interesting, it does look different to my cart and packaging. Here is a picture of mine, taken with my awful phone camera (I don't have the packaging anymore, sorry):

YO9Wpqs.jpg
There is a possibility of it being fake, or perhaps they simply have changed the packaging and the sticker recently. They have done different packages and hardware revisions in the past, the pictures you have found from google could just be earlier revisions.

I can't quite make out the revision from the picture, does it say "C"?

This picture shows where to look: What revision is my cart?

Mine is revision "D", which I believe is the most recent one. Revisions 9, A, C and D should all work with the latest 3DS firmware though, so I wouldn't worry about that cart. You could try contacting real hot stuff customer service (if that is possible, I don't have any experience ordering from them) and ask them about this as well if you are concerned. Or you could try contacting r4ids.cn, they have email address on their site.

ccorbcc

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Hi Rocc0,

Thank you for your feedback. Yours is what I expects. I first discovered the "R4" printed on the cart seems different at a first glance. About the revision, I didn't notice there is a character next to the gold finger until you pointed it out. It is a "C".

I have asked real hot stuff hong kong about the changes and waiting for their reply. The site of r4ids.cn seems not so well made. I don't even see a picture of the R4i Gold 3DS flashcart. But I will contact them later if I do not hear from real hot stuff.

Rocc0

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Alright, I'm curious about this, be sure to give us update on what they replied if you can. :)

Yeah, I agree that the r4ids.cn site isn't that great, but they are generally trusted developer and have had good support for their flashcart. R4i Gold 3DS is the only R4 clone that is on the official GBAtemp chart: Which Flash Cart Should I Get?

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
I think you're good Ccorbcc. I just took a look at my r4i 3DS flash cart (which never gives me any problems) and it looks just like yours. A good (but not fool-proof) safety check to see if it's real or not is if the sticker says www.r4ids.cn and it looks like yours does. If it's working on your 3DS than there's no problem.

Edit: On second glance, it looks like the only difference between my cart and yours is that yours has the extra mark under the 4. Everything else is in the same position though. I wouldn't worry. And if you are worried, just make sure to backup your saves occasionally.

ccorbcc

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Hi Eric, how old is your cart? I just paid $16.5 to get it shipped to me. Not much money but it works just fine like my Acekard 2i. If it turns out to be a fake card, all I can say is that it is really a good cheap fake.

I don't have a 3DS right now, but I am planning to get a second hand one very soon. With the new 3DS just coming out, many people here in Hong Kong will be starting to sell the previous models.

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
I got mine last month actually. September 5th be be exact (I know because I made a video on how to get it working the same day). Which reminds me, I do have a picture of my case that I just took a screenshot of from that video. It has the cart and the case for you to compare.

6676158073.jpg

I got mine from nds-card.com which I'm not sure is sponsored by GBAtemp, but it cost me 14 at the time (looks like it's 16 now).

Reactions: ccorbcc

ccorbcc

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Yes, that line under the "4" on the sticker is very noticeable....it made the "R4" and "3DS" looks like getting closer. I noted this addition very soon.

ccorbcc

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
As expected, real hot stuff hong kong claimed the card is genuine and they don't sell fakes. That's all they replied to my enquiry and didn't say a word about the possible package/artwork amendment. I want to hear what the official maker of R4i Gold 3DS say, so I have provided the necessary information to r4ids.cn. They will get back to me later.

Reactions: Rocc0

ccorbcc

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Could anyone help please me out for below::unsure:

I use a "roms" folder to store game roms and put it in the root directory of my sdhc card. However, every time I power up my Dsi XL and enter R4i Gold 3DS, I need to choose microSD card and then roms to access my games. My Acekard 2i doesn't need to do this after the first setup. Is there a way for R4i Gold 3DS to remember my game rom's location?

ccorbcc

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Just found out that the above problem happened in my DSi XL only. In a DS Lite, the game list popped up right after I clicked R4i Gold 3DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: nes remix 1 had the bad one, nes remix 2 had the good one