Hacking R4 Clone Firmware Question

HandOfReason

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so I used to be into all this stuff a while back when it was just the DS Lite. Since then, I've used a CycloDS card for a while now and it hasn't been a problem upgrading and all that for compatibility. I haven't even been on GBATemp in a looooong time since everything has been working just fine.

So my friend brings me this R4 card and says she can't get it working. I'm thinking "oh yeah I remember R4s, no problem" and I come to find that there are 850930498098 clones and some are still supported and others aren't, and there are unofficial firmwares I can download and blah blah. I've referenced dozens and dozens of posts on here just to find out what kind of clone this one is, but now I'm wondering how I'll update this in the future.

The firmware found here:

http://www.r4rts.cn/download-en.htm

is what works with this R4. The card's label reads:
R4
SDHC
Revolution for DS

(NDSL/NDS)

Based off this information, I have a multipart question:

1)What kind of R4 clone is this? I see all kinds of different types like R4SDHC, or R4SDHC Upgrade III, along with a bunch more. For my future reference, what should I call this card?

2)If a game becomes incompatible in the future, what should I do to update it? Right now, its playing the games I've put on there just fine.

3)If I am only interested in playing games, should I be interested in WOOD firmware or WAIO or any of these others?

I apologize if any of these questions lack certain specifics. I would give them if I knew better. All this R4 clone business makes me want to just buy her a Cyclo or something out of simplicity's sake. Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it.

Clookster

Your Clookster
Banned
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Swaziland
basher11 said:
R4SDHC, or R4SDHC Upgrade III does not run wood.

He doesn't have a "R4SDHC, or R4SDHC Upgrade III".

---

You have a "R4 RTS", it's an old and outdated card made by M3 Team.

You get a good and woking flashcard for $10. They are cheap. So there's no need to discuss this.

You can't use Wood, and you can't use Retrogamefan's YSMenu with this card.

You can use the original fimware of this card to play some older games, but most blockbuster games from the last two years won't work.

HandOfReason

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Clookster said:
basher11 said:

---

You get a good and woking flashcard for $10. They are cheap. So there's no need to discuss this.

You can use the original fimware of this card to play some older games, but most blockbuster games from the last two years won't work.

Thank you very much. I'll tell her to light it on fire and we'll get a better card. Thanks again.

NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU

Now with extra redundancy!
Trophies
XP
Country
HandOfReason said:
Clookster said:
basher11 said:

---

Thank you very much. I'll tell her to light it on fire and we'll get a better card. Thanks again.
Before you do this you could try Wood R4, it can't hurt and runs almost all games.

AlanJohn

くたばれ
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
sauske_firekid said:
basher11 said:

dude there is wood for r4 II upgrade its waio 1.29 by me just google it
Is it like WAIO only it can run new games?
unsure.gif

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AlanJohn said:
sauske_firekid said:
basher11 said:

dude there is wood for r4 II upgrade its waio 1.29 by me just google it
Is it like WAIO only it can run new games?
unsure.gif

well it kinda is but i ve included older versions such as wood 1.12 and wood 1.13 so older and newer games can be run on it :

mantastico

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey handofreason i know it's bean a freakin year since you started this but i'm using the same r4 clone as your friend and i also used firmware from r4rts.cn, but i quit using it for a while and recently wanted to start using it again cuz it's the only firmware i can get to work with me card. The only problem is that the website r4rts.cn no longer exists. do you know of a website where i can get the same exact firmware?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
hey handofreason i know it's bean a freakin year since you started this but i'm using the same r4 clone as your friend and i also used firmware from r4rts.cn, but i quit using it for a while and recently wanted to start using it again cuz it's the only firmware i can get to work with me card. The only problem is that the website r4rts.cn no longer exists. do you know of a website where i can get the same exact firmware?
http://www.linfoxdomain.com/nintendo/ds/

mantastico

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.linfoxdom...om/nintendo/ds/
Thanks, but i can't seem to get any of their firmware to work. It always gives me the same error about putting a loader.xxx file into the sd card. thanks for trying tho.

dude of the gree

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This sounds an awful lot like an r4 Ultra. I believe the last time I used mine I used Akaio 1.86a, but its been ages since I last used it so its probably outdated by now.

I'd suggest going to r4ultra.com and and trying the latest firmware listed there.

Edit: Nevermind, I just noticed how old this thread it :/

Sooo...does anyone know a good up to date firmware for R4 Ultra? :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    MrNoobNub @ MrNoobNub: why is everyone so horny