Homebrew Quick Question

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all! This is my first time posting on GBATemp.
I want to install homebrew to my 3ds, but I was wondering, is it possible to install the hbl to the HOME Menu? I know you can install NTR CFW to the home menu, but I'm kind of a noob and don't know if that is important. my 3ds is running 11.5.0-38U

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As stated above, you can install hblauncher_loader in order to easily launch the Homebrew Launcher directly from the home menu. However, this requires CFW to work. If you haven't already done so, you should follow this guide to install B9S and Luma3DS to your 3DS.

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. I've heard of it, but no. I don't have any homebrew on my 3ds. admittedly, I'm not sure what cfw even means. i told you, i'm a noob.
thanks, i'll see what i can do.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I want to use doodlebomb to install the hbl, is it possible to from there install luma and cfw?

Ryupower

Brood
Trophies
Website
techmantis.net
XP
Country
United States
if you need a expoloit of some kind and you are on the newest FW is d/l RPG Maker Fes player (if FREE) for the eshop
a new exploit is coming for it soon

you might not be able to get CFW with it as it a userland exploit, but you should be able to run HBL

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm assuming you are not a cfw user. If that's the case, you don't want standard Homebrew. That only allows for userland access, which ntr cant run in. If you want a full cfw (custom firmware), you need one of these 3 things:

1. A second 3ds on a firmware below 11.4. this 3ds can be modded and transferred to yours in order to exploit it.

2. Either an acekard 2i or r4i gold 3ds rts flashcart.

3. A hardmod. Either requires soldering skills or somebody who can do it for you.

These are the only options for getting a full cfw for now. For future reference, please make gbatemp threads more descriptive. "Quick question" doesn't really provide much info. Also, a simple Google search would reveal I answer this exact question 3 times a day.

No. I've heard of it, but no. I don't have any homebrew on my 3ds. admittedly, I'm not sure what cfw even means. i told you, i'm a noob.
thanks, i'll see what i can do.

I want to use doodlebomb to install the hbl, is it possible to from there install luma and cfw?
No, that only allows for simple userland Homebrew, something cfw cannot be installed from on 11.5 atm.
if you need a expoloit of some kind and you are on the newest FW is d/l RPG Maker Fes player (if FREE) for the eshop
a new exploit is coming for it soon

you might not be able to get CFW with it as it a userland exploit, but you should be able to run HBL
OP wants a full cfw for ntr use, though that is a good idea nonetheless.

Last edited by Giodude,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good, i'm learning soldering. but I saw that you need win32diskwriter, are there mac alternatives?
The easiest and cheapest way for you to install CFW is by purchasing a compatible DS flashcart that can be used with the ntrboot method. Installing CFW this way is also the easiest way to use any kind of 3DS homebrew on system version 11.5. If you're using an O3DS, installing CFW is currently the only way for you to use 3DS homebrew of any kind.

It is physically impossible to use Doodlebomb anymore, since it has been patched with an update, and the application requires the update in order to be able to run.

Last edited by Lacius,

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good, i'm learning soldering. but I saw that you need win32diskwriter, are there mac alternatives?
You can make a Windows vm, but you really should just buy the 20 dollar flashcart unless you are 100 percent confident in your skills. The 3ds is one of the most delicate and intricate things I've ever opened up.

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh. But, does the soldering method still work? I'm sure I have soldering stuff lying around somewhere. Again, does it work on macOS, since I heard you need Win32DiskReaderWriter.

Alright. I'll see about using flashcarts. Thanks.

Last edited by SirNapkin1334,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh. But, does the soldering method still work? I'm sure I have soldering stuff lying around somewhere. Again, does it work on macOS, since I heard you need Win32DiskReaderWriter.
There are alternatives for macOS, yes. I've read that ApplePi-Baker works, but I've never tried it myself.

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can make a Windows vm, but you really should just buy the 20 dollar flashcart unless you are 100 percent confident in your skills. The 3ds is one of the most delicate and intricate things I've ever opened up.

You say you've opened up a 3DS. I'd asssume you've done a hardmod, in which case, might I ask you if the wires and sd card hanging out the back and large hole are inconvenient?

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You say you've opened up a 3DS. I'd asssume you've done a hardmod, in which case, might I ask you if the wires and sd card hanging out the back and large hole are inconvenient?
It was actually to fix the top screen that shattered. No clue about that stuff, and i didn't get very far and ended up bricking the 3ds. Sorry.

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can GodMode9 fix a complete Softbrick? Or does a complete softbrick impede the boot process enough to make it impossible to boot luma payloads?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can GodMode9 fix a complete Softbrick? Or does a complete softbrick impede the boot process enough to make it impossible to boot luma payloads?
GodMode9 can be used to restore an old NAND backup or perform a 9.2 CTRNAND transfer, so yes, GodMode9 can be used to fix any kind of non-MCU brick. You obviously have to have A9LH or B9S installed to be able to boot into GodMode9.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm devastated