Questions for Intelligent Design

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I've been sitting on these questions for a hot minute now and I think it's time that I put them out there

What is the purpose of parasites? Why design something that only serves to feed off of and infect others?

Why design animals to eat poop? That's a rather gross and odd design to make, not to mention largely benefits parasites that actively harm the host.

Why pandas, koalas, and other animals that seem extremely poorly designed?

Why brain-eating bacteria? Seriously, what the fuck?

Why brain-eating parasites? Again, what the fuck?

The entire duck mating process, why design something so brutal and fucked up?

Why deep-sea animals? Seems like a weird thing to make animals that live under mass pressure and in complete darkness.

What's the purpose of fossils?

Why design animals with horns or tusks that risk penetrating their own skulls?

Why design animals with horns or tusks that risk them getting stuck and dying?

What's the point of viruses?

These just bother me because I don't think they make any sense when considering the notion of "Intelligent Design." One would think that there is a designer, they would have put more thought into their designs.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All of those things seem to help process the "circle of life." Like us, they have a built-in need to feed, and like us, something feeds on them.

My question is, why must it be painful for the food? My hope is, someday it won't.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is the purpose of parasites? Why design something that only serves to feed off of and infect others?
--all life beyond plants can be thought of in this way. Humans are parasites too, we are incapable of creating our own energy.

Why design animals to eat poop? That's a rather gross and odd design to make, not to mention largely benefits parasites that actively harm the host.
--feces can have nutrients present that should not be wasted, and also can transfer potentially helpful bacteria

--please explain further, if they were poorly designed they would be extinct

--they don't naturally do that, it's rare overall - they usually have a completely different ecological niche

--ditto above

--it's only brutal if you think of it as brutal. No more brutal than the birthing process in a hyena

Why deep-sea animals? Seems like a weird thing to make animals that live under mass pressure and in complete darkness.
--why is that weird? Seems you are putting your own preconceived notions into this

--why does it need a purpose? Fossils simply exist as shadows do etc. it's a byproduct of the skeleton - God does not need a reason for them

--the horns are used in mating and competition

--ditto above - everything has a risk

--another form of predation that allows natural culling of herds or groups that have overgrown

These just bother me because I don't think they make any sense when considering the notion of "Intelligent Design." One would think that there is a designer, they would have put more thought into their designs.
--the designs make a ton of sense, just not from a human perspective. If you believe in evolution you also have to think they make sense - because otherwise evolution falls apart. Only the most fit species will survive. If the horns were a liability they would quickly fall out of the gene pool from an evolutionary perspective.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Intelligent design was originally raised as a theory to argue the existence of a God like being, being behind the design of life. That it is too complicated to randomly evolve without a sense of direction and someone steering the design to its form.

Some parasites can be beneficial to an animal, you have billions of parasites in your body that help keep you alive.

Why leave poop on the ground to rot when something can make use of it and clear it up? This means there isnt poop everywhere causing diseases and pollution to the animals that poop it. Also if you are an animal that uses the poop you have things easier because other animals have expended energy gathering and processing your food.

In what way are they poorly designed? Pandas and Koalas are adapted to their environments and can survive off of bamboo and Eucalyptus that a lot of other animals can not eat. By what standards are you measuring their designs?

Bacteria live in everything, if they did not everything would be dead. So yeah you even have them in your brain.

Parasites exist in everything, even brains. They just found a niche to exploit.

Fucked up by a human being in the modern age standards. But is it fucked up by the "spread your genome at all costs" standards?

Why is it weird to have life in the deep sea? We have animals crawling in dirt, living in pools of boiling sulphur, living in poop, living in your intestinal tract. If there is a place life can live it will live there.

What do you mean by this? Fossils are not made by anything with a purpose. They are the result of something dying and being preserved in specific environmental and geological conditions. Fossils are actually quite rare.

To defend themselves? To be a display of strength, health and virility to a mate? To compete with other animals of the same species for the right to be an alpha and mate? Isn't it obvious?

The risk justifies the reward if you can pass on your lineage by being dominant or being able to defend yourself and your offspring.

Just another form of life in the massive tree of life. Viruses help thin out the weak, elderly and dying as well as other things and can be beneficial. Even a lion hunting a herd of animals has a benefit to that herd.

Going through your questions I can see you do not understand what intelligent design actually is. It is not intelligent in the terms of making sense to someone sitting at a computer in the modern day, who obviously has a very limited understanding of nature and biology. It is a counter theory by mainly religious people against evolution.

"Huh I dont know how/understand how well a Koala is adjusted to its environment, what a stupid animal!" "Man horns are violent and dangerous, that is not an intelligent design!" "Duck fucking is mean how unintelligent!" It is the jump from a bacteria, to a fish, to a reptile, etc. To having no eyes to having eyes and so on. From not having wings to being able to fly.

You really need to watch some nature and science shows and read up a bit, your ponderings are very naive and a bit embarrassing honestly.

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
1701191137950.gif

• Haha
Reactions: AncientBoi

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I just wanted some actual answers for these questions. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I don’t care what the answers are, I’ve just been sitting on these questions. I won’t even pretend I understand Intelligent Design, which is why my questions are the way they are.

Reactions: AncientBoi

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Looking at the number of bugs, problems, and mind-bogglingly bizarre design choices with everyday items, services, software, etc. that was all designed, developed, tested, QA'd, launched, and then exploded, "it's not 100% perfect" is not an argument against intelligent design. :tpi:

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at the number of bugs, problems, and mind-bogglingly bizarre design choices with everyday items, services, software, etc. that was all designed, developed, tested, QA'd, launched, and then exploded, "it's not 100% perfect" is not an argument against intelligent design. :tpi:
It is if the proponents of intelligent design claim that the designer is faultless.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
It is if the proponents of intelligent design claim that the designer is faultless.
Oh no no no nooo, that would be religion, and "intelligent design" is "not" a religious viewpoint, it's an "alternative hypothesis."

Teach the controversy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.