OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi
I have few questions
Q1 - I would like to backup my games in hard drive. I realize that I need the homebrew channel and a usb loader to do so. At the moment, I am interested in configurable usb loader. While searching the web, I came across with this:
http://code.google.com/p/d2x-cios/downloads/list
Since I would like to avoid beta, I will likely choose "d2x-v8-final.zip"
Is this the cIOS files package that I need to install prior to installing usb loaders?

Q2 - I noticed that cIOSs often get updated with new revision. When new revision comes out, can I just install new version over the old one(rewrite new one over the old) with homebrew channel? Or do I need to uninstall old one first, and then install new one?

Q3 - I have many games(about 20s) to backup including dual disc game such as smash bro brawl. So, I have worry about damaging my wii disc drive while backing up the games. How damaging(concerning disc drive) is backing up process?

Thanks in advance.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
1-yes (but there are other options too)
2-overwrite
3-I think to damage the drive the number must be at least one order of magnitude larger, probably two

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The process of backing up games from a disc is exactly the same as reading the disc normally - there's very little concern about damaging the drive. In fact, in the long run, using USB/SD loading will allow you to prevent wear and tear of the drive - you'll only ever read each of your discs once. :P

wii_newbie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi
Thanks everyone for all your helps.
It is a relief to know that backing up will not damage the drive much. I have one of those new wii(bundled with super mario bros), and warranty is almost over. I read that disc drive is usually the first one that will break in wii; and whenever I play loading heavy games such as rune factory frontier, and monster hunter tri, disc reading noises(you know the tick tick sound) scare me.
Hopefully installation of homebrew channel and cfg usb loader will go smoothly without bricking.

Tornplaya

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Theres nothing to worry about. Softmodding a Wii is very simple. I actually just pulled out my wii from my storage room and installed cfg loader recently and went back in time to play some gamecube games. Playing them off my external hard drive is such a convenience, and the simplicity of it all is fantastic. I'm actually a PC gamer and never play consoles besides the 3ds. The wii was the only home console I actually loved (after it was modded of course).

wii_newbie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am really excited about homebrew and usb loader. I really like my wii(my only console too :)) and games I currently have; and take good care of it. So hopefully it will last really really long. Thank you so much for sharing your experience with softmodding. I feel less nervous about modding now. ^_^

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bidenomics
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, everything almost double nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But I could go to Aldis and get a cookie pie for like $4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use your new cooking pan and make some, don't mind the Old leftover foods mixed in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just eat plain flour around cops
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    thats Gluten abuse, they would shoot you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on the color chart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Isn't wheat flour the whitest of the white?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Rye would get shot at sight.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends
    img_5941-1.jpeg
    everyone mixing their flour now days
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm not a flour expert I just snort it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Bruh that's gray.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's ancientboi color
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You need to add some activated charcoal.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Seems like your wifey likes hers black. :creep:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "BS" stands for "Bowel Scraping" because that's what whole grain does.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been eating honey wheat bread scrumptious
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I've been eating honey wheat bread scrumptious