Hacking PSV VSH Menu - [taiHEN usermode plugin]

ShroomKing

Somebody
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Weird, and no it's not patching any offsets really. It's just loading a usermode plugin (VSH.suprx)

The usermode plugin no longer batches the buttons like it did before but instead spaws a thread that runs the VSH menu. That fixed the issue for me, with secrets of mana.

Anyways about your vita not booting are you using SD2vita or one of those adapter things?
That's weird indeed.

Yeah i have the psvsd adapter, lemme try disabling it, maybe that'll help.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

nope, still completely freezing up my vita right before it loads the livearea

demonXcore

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So I think I may have finally fixed it for 3.61+ games. We have a problem however, this doesn't seem to work on homebrew. For some homebrew it results in a hard crash and for others it just doesn't show up. Anyways I'd like you to test this on the games you told me about earlier.

Installations is pretty simple:

1) Put both vsh.suprx and vsh.skprx from the attached zip into ux0:tai folder.
2) Add the following:
Code:
*KERNEL
ux0:tai/vsh.skprx
3) Go into henkaku settings -> reset tai config -> reboot. Press L + R + Start.

This should fix the issue on games. Like I said earlier some homebrews (including vitashell) will crash, but I've added a little 'emergency exit' button where if you hold the select button while loading these homebrews it won't load the plugin and therefore not crash. If anyone can test this on games they had difficulties with please let me know if it works now.

Okay I have tested it this morning and I can confirm that all 7 problematic games are now working! (See screenshots)
Also, config files for each game have been created and the clock state is saved on my PS Vita.

2018-07-10-093609.jpg 2018-07-10-093853.jpg 2018-07-10-094949.jpg

That I can't use VSH in homebrew doesn't matter much to me, I mostly needed it within the games.
For me this is the best solution, thanks so much for your help!

Reactions: Madridi and Joel16

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's weird indeed.

Yeah i have the psvsd adapter, lemme try disabling it, maybe that'll help.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

nope, still completely freezing up my vita right before it loads the livearea

No idea what's happening there. I could make it load the title on PSV games only (PCSXXX..)

Okay I have tested it this morning and I can confirm that all 7 problematic games are now working! (See screenshots)
Also, config files for each game have been created and the clock state is saved on my PS Vita.

View attachment 135176 View attachment 135177 View attachment 135178

That I can't use VSH in homebrew doesn't matter much to me, I mostly needed it within the games.
For me this is the best solution, thanks so much for your help!

I assume most people use this for games and not homebrews since homebrews can easily allow themselves to change the clock configs. I will go with just games for now and add a check so that the kernel mode plugin will only activate on games. If anything however does crash (which probably won't after I add this check) the 'emergency exit button' (select) while still be available.

ShroomKing

Somebody
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just made sure it's not one of my other plugins causing it, and it's not.
No idea what's happening there. I could make it load the title on PSV games only (PCSXXX..)
That would probably work. BTW, how do you even do that? (in code) i know i can do something like this:

int module_start(SceSize argc, const void *args) {
taiHookFunctionExport(&app_start_ref,
"TITLEID",
TAI_ANY_LIBRARY,
0x935CD196,
hook_app_start);
return SCE_KERNEL_START_SUCCESS;
}

but how would you do it for all titleID's that start with PCS? PCS****** doesn't seem to work.
kinda offtopic but figured it's a good time to ask.

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just made sure it's not one of my other plugins causing it, and it's not.

That would probably work. BTW, how do you even do that? (in code) i know i can do something like this:

int module_start(SceSize argc, const void *args) {
taiHookFunctionExport(&app_start_ref,
"TITLEID",
TAI_ANY_LIBRARY,
0x935CD196,
hook_app_start);
return SCE_KERNEL_START_SUCCESS;
}

but how would you do it for all titleID's that start with PCS? PCS****** doesn't seem to work.
kinda offtopic but figured it's a good time to ask.

Look at the kernel source.

Anyways new release is up!

PSV VSH Menu - v3.0

• Fixed many, if not all issues with game compatibility (Supports games up to 3.68 now). Please note: as of this release, homebrews no longer work with this plugin. This also includes Adrenaline.
  • Fixed issues with certain games not being able to change any of the options.
  • No longer uses KUIO, and uses it's own kernel mode plugin that loads the user-mode plugin. Please follow the updated instructions.

The button combo to open the VSH menu is: L + R + START

Download

Check the post below

Last edited by Joel16,

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Scrap that, a fixed release is up and we're back with KUIO lol. Installation instructions can be found on the README.

PSV VSH Menu - v3.1

• Fixed issues with certain games failing to open the VSH Menu.
  • Fixed issues with games over 3.61+ not working.
  • Fixed issues with certain games not being able to change any of the options.

The button combo to open the VSH menu is: L + R + START

Download

Last edited by Joel16,
Reactions: cvskid and Madridi

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Nice work @Joel16 :)

Bummed to see KUIO support back though lol. Any chance you’d be moving away from it in the future? Or is there just no way around it?

Also, I noticed you asked on reddit about games that use L R Start combination. Square Enix used it very popularly since the PS1 (though that was R1-R2-L1-L2-Start-Select).. on the vita though, it’s those 3 buttons.

The one example I’m sure off is FFX

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice work @Joel16 :)

Bummed to see KUIO support back though lol. Any chance you’d be moving away from it in the future? Or is there just no way around it?

Also, I noticed you asked on reddit about games that use L R Start combination. Square Enix used it very popularly since the PS1 (though that was R1-R2-L1-L2-Start-Select).. on the vita though, it’s those 3 buttons.

The one example I’m sure off is FFX

Had to revert due to some issues with SD2VITA. I don't own one so debugging is going to be a pain so I just decided to stick with KUIO for now. Probably won't attempt to try it again cause it's just gonna waste a lot of time if it fails to work on SD2VITA.

About the button issue yeah I think I'll try to add some sort of way to either edit the button config to open the menu or maybe an alternative way to open the menu.

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Had to revert due to some issues with SD2VITA. I don't own one so debugging is going to be a pain so I just decided to stick with KUIO for now. Probably won't attempt to try it again cause it's just gonna waste a lot of time if it fails to work on SD2VITA.

About the button issue yeah I think I'll try to add some sort of way to either edit the button config to open the menu or maybe an alternative way to open the menu.
Well I think a different combination might suffice. Something that wouldn’t really be feasible in gaming scenarios. Like Start and select for example.

Sd2vita is like.. $2 lol .. but I assume there is a reason why you are not using it. If it helps, I can help testing experimental builds if you want on my device with sd2vita, though my device is still in 3.60 enso if that makes any difference

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I think a different combination might suffice. Something that wouldn’t really be feasible in gaming scenarios. Like Start and select for example.

Sd2vita is like.. $2 lol .. but I assume there is a reason why you are not using it. If it helps, I can help testing experimental builds if you want on my device with sd2vita, though my device is still in 3.60 enso if that makes any difference

Yeah I was thinking of having an alternative combo like L1 + R1 + Select. Yeah it's not about the price, I don't really play anything on my vita so I'm not worried about storage :P. It's all good.

Reactions: Madridi

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so scrap that again v3.2 is up!

Change-log:

• Added alternative combo -> L1 + R1 + Select (Some games soft reset with the start button, so this is a way to go around that)
  • Config files are now correctly loaded during boot and the clock config is set during start up of the application. (This means you no longer have to open up the VSH menu during start up to load your clock states, it will automatically be loaded once the application is executed.)
Download

Last edited by Joel16,
Reactions: Madridi and cvskid

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, here's the master of them all:

PSV VSH MENU v3.3

Change-log:

• Fixed issue with certain games that set custom (mostly default) clock rates during start up. The way VSH now handles over clocking is that if you have set a custom clock rate before and exit the game. Initially it will wait 5 seconds after the game loads -> if the current clock speed does not match the one in VSH's config -> it then applies your custom clock rate by VSH automatically. After this it checks every 30 seconds if the current vita clock rate matches the one in config. This also fixes the issue where certain games may reset the clock rates during sleep. This fix makes it the best overclocking plugin out there as of date. It's worth mentioning it does not overclock every 30 seconds, it's merely just checking if it's the equivalent to the one in config, so there is no impact on performance.
  • Added FPS counter due to high amount of requests. (Thanks to Rinnegatamante for the FPS code)
Download

Reactions: cvskid

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Alright, here's the master of them all:

PSV VSH MENU v3.3

Change-log:

• Fixed issue with certain games that set custom (mostly default) clock rates during start up. The way VSH now handles over clocking is that if you have set a custom clock rate before and exit the game. Initially it will wait 5 seconds after the game loads -> if the current clock speed does not match the one in VSH's config -> it then applies your custom clock rate by VSH automatically. After this it checks every 30 seconds if the current vita clock rate matches the one in config. This also fixes the issue where certain games may reset the clock rates during sleep. This fix makes it the best overclocking plugin out there as of date. It's worth mentioning it does not overclock every 30 seconds, it's merely just checking if it's the equivalent to the one in config, so there is no impact on performance.
  • Added FPS counter due to high amount of requests. (Thanks to Rinnegatamante for the FPS code)
Download

Does this mean that it fixes games that are constantly changing clock speeds in game ( like world of final fantasy) in that this plugin will now constantly keep flicking to whatever you set it at periodically?

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does this mean that it fixes games that are constantly changing clock speeds in game ( like world of final fantasy) in that this plugin will now constantly keep flicking to whatever you set it at periodically?

Yes if it detects that your current clock speed does not match the one in your config file, it will re-apply your clock speed.

Reactions: kristianity77

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes if it detects that your current clock speed does not match the one in your config file, it will re-apply your clock speed.

That's good enough for me to ditch o'clock vita in favour of this. Excellent work!!!

EDIT:

Is there any way that we can get any control over the polling time (or is there an issue that stops it being less than 30 seconds?)

In games that change clock speeds A LOT like World Of Final Fantasy its quite jarring to see it running awfully then suddenly spring back in to life 30 seconds later. Are there any side effects of having the plugin check for clocks more frequently?

Last edited by kristianity77,

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's good enough for me to ditch o'clock vita in favour of this. Excellent work!!!

EDIT:

Is there any way that we can get any control over the polling time (or is there an issue that stops it being less than 30 seconds?)

In games that change clock speeds A LOT like World Of Final Fantasy its quite jarring to see it running awfully then suddenly spring back in to life 30 seconds later. Are there any side effects of having the plugin check for clocks more frequently?

Latest release does allow that https://github.com/joel16/PSV-VSH-Menu/releases/tag/3.40 This release lets you adjust the timing intervals. I played around with it for a while on Shovel knight. I didn't face any problems or slow downs or anything. It's not like its constantly reading the config file in these intervals, all of that is done and read it merely checks to see if there is a mismatch between current clock rate and what you set. If there is a mismatch it re-applies your custom clock. Cheers.

Reactions: cvskid

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Latest release does allow that https://github.com/joel16/PSV-VSH-Menu/releases/tag/3.40 This release lets you adjust the timing intervals. I played around with it for a while on Shovel knight. I didn't face any problems or slow downs or anything. It's not like its constantly reading the config file in these intervals, all of that is done and read it merely checks to see if there is a mismatch between current clock rate and what you set. If there is a mismatch it re-applies your custom clock. Cheers.

This works perfectly when set to one second now! Fantastic work!

Last edited by kristianity77,
Reactions: Joel16

DuckySushi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Hey I submitted an issue on the github page but basically what happens is that some games still registers inputs even if the vsh-menu is on screen. Kinda makes navigating the vsh-menu a bit weird since I randomly open game menus I don't want to open. It also makes the game laggy. The games in question are project diva f2nd and X, not sure about f but I assume it's the same. The vsh-menu works fine for other games though.

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey I submitted an issue on the github page but basically what happens is that some games still registers inputs even if the vsh-menu is on screen. Kinda makes navigating the vsh-menu a bit weird since I randomly open game menus I don't want to open. It also makes the game laggy. The games in question are project diva f2nd and X, not sure about f but I assume it's the same. The vsh-menu works fine for other games though.
Left a comment on the issue tracker.

Barrons

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hi @Joel16 i now have this installed on my vita only worry i have is that the plugin is turning on in vitashell and also pkgj? any reason why???????
can it break anything?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/vKQN3UiNNHY?si=fP6ZlFe-DhQf9SW7