Hacking PSP vs Vita in terms of emulation only?

Dagangstah

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was looking up this topic and found out that someone made the same exact topic here on GBAtemp and it seemed like people were leaning towards the PSP being better/more convenient.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/psp-vs-ps-vita-in-terms-of-emulation-only.370835/

But this was from 2014, and afaik there has been a big breakthrough on PSVita hacking since last year so I was just wondering is that still the case? Is the Vita better than the PSP regarding emulation by any margin or is it the same?

Please and thank you!

Dagangstah

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

XC-3730C

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would say a Vita. I have a phat/OLED Vita, which has a superior quality screen to any PSP or Vita Slim.

I still use some PSP emus (via Adrenaline) on my Vita, because the interface on most of them is better than Retroarch.

Reactions: Dagangstah

yeshuachrist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Emulation is not very Good on the Vita ... any of the emulators from psp require alot of frameskipping and low values for sound. So the games sound bad and skip..............Retroarch is an improvement, but it should also be avoided, there's lots of screen tearing and latency in the graphics and sound.................the psp vita is not fully hacked, when that happens we may see better programed retro emulators for the vita, until that happens, don't give yourself a headache, the xbox1 is the best emulation console and that is also broken with some screen tearing versus the pc emulator.

if your going with the xbox1, avoid coinops, it strips features from the emulators, find the standalone versions for the system you plan to emulate. Better yet, the psp vita only has about 1 or 2 more years left to its product life, check back after that.

Reactions: MKKhanzo

lafleche

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
All provided you buy a vita with 3.60 firmware (or lower), never update, want expensive memorycard (although alternatives slowly seem to surface), no new psn games (as they need fw > 3.60) and have > 100USD to spare.
on the other hand.... a PSP costs USD 50/EUR 45 (and mostly includes goodies as bag and games), is softmoddable incl latest fw, cheap memory cards (2 micro-sd adapter) and plays an amazing range of emulated games at very good speed.
you can bring along a PSP on holliday and not being afraid it breaks...just buy a new one :-) I take much better care of my PSVita (yes I have both) :-)

kutteke

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Those are things to consider indeed. I own both aswel. cost effective => psp or pspgo, "Premium" experience => psvita

XC-3730C

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PSP is a great, low cost solution if you want emulators, PSP games, and PSX. I see them on OfferUp and Craigslist for $50 and below. My personal favorite is a 2000.

I have a Vita phat/OLED, and I can do everything a PSP does, but with a better/larger screen, and can play Vita games.I understand the high cost of Vita memory cards can sway people from buying a Vita, but alternatives are coming out.

Idon't care for PSN, or Vita games that require firmware 3.61 or higher. Besides, most modded systems aren't safe to go online anyways. The only game that requires firmware higher than 3.60 that I care for is Axiom Verge, which was well worth paying for.

The Vita emulation scene is continuing to improve, and I surmise that within a year, it will surpass PSP.

Until now, PSP emus, supplemented by Vita emus and games works for me.

Last edited by XC-3730C,

Pandaxclone2

Pokemon Sprite Artist Hobbyist
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The only reason I would get a PSP at this point is for legacy purposes and more importantly, the POPSLoader compatibility. As it stands right now Adrenaline does nearly perfect but it doesn't allow POPS compatibility, which for most PS1 games is no problem but still very much so for others. Considering that the dev doesn't wish to pursue this it'd just be better to get a PSP for this.

As for other emulation between the two? PS Vita will suffice.

yeshuachrist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(Lunar 1 for PSX has some issue when you level up the game pauses slightly then continues, Valkyrie Profile is another PSX game with serious issues...................fortunately both of these games have full remakes on psp that the vita can play with henkaku..................I think the Tales of Destiny1 by Gemini Translation Works on vita, the other one did not. I don't think any of the other major titles have any issues................the psp and ps1 games seem to work better on vita, I have both so its easy to tell.)

What I'm really curious about, is PSTV versus VITA (handheld) emulation. Everyone doesn't seem to realize how broken emulation on anything that isn't ps1 or psp is. Some emulation on the PS2 for example is much better than the PSP VITA, so these are just badly programmed to begin with................Retroarch even uses these bad builds of emulators, apart of the real problem, is how they are designed with "accuracy" that is an immediate performance killer, so the builds were not even sincere to begin with. (pixel accuracy, resolution accuracy, etc. those thing you can't really tell with the naked eye, let along on a hand held, just avoid the trouble, its not worth it on the vita)

True, current generation games are really that poor in quality, when you design something to service an online company, then everything else is degraded, its a simple formula of man hours. If PSP Vita had perfect emulation, then nobody would want much of the new stuff. I think the quest for emulation on a home console died with the XBOX1, that console had a lot of time and energy put into emulation then it dropped dead, there's nothing much going on there now.

(Recently purchased "Berserk" on the Vita, rather then the PS4 which I also own, the quality of the game is lacking I don't think a few graphic upgrades can fix that, been doing that a while with this cross over games. Real shame to see the Vita go, when it does finally kick the bucket)

(Think about the next Sony Console, would you really buy it? or would you buy the next great handheld that can go online, on the home tv and be portable. Now Imagine if Sony did not have a handheld, would you have really of bought the ps4. There are so many thing wrong with the gaming industry right now, that we have to come to terms with, sooner than later)

Last edited by yeshuachrist,
Reactions: MKKhanzo

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm playing Monkey Island 3 on my vita. The only problem is I start playing at 2am and fall asleep ten minutes later so I don't make any progress.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Biomutant looks cool tho, may have to try that
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @BigOnYa...