PS4 System Software Update 4.50 to bring External HDD support, Custom wallpapers and more

Capture.JPG

Announced today on the Playstation Blog, the PS4's next major system software update, version 4.50 (codenamed Sasuke) will bring some much awaited features:

• External HDD Support: store content to an external HDD with USB 3.0 (up to 8TB); all the apps saved in the external HDD will appear in the Content Launcher of the Home Screen
  • Custom Wallpapers: set your favorite in-game screenshot as your homescreen's background
32495779771_035aefb600_z.jpg
  • Quick Menu Refresh
  • Simplified Notification List
  • Post directly on PlayStation Network Activity Feeds
  • View 3D movies in stereoscopic 3D directly on the PS VR
The update is out now for select beta testers and should be out for the general mass in the weeks to come. Check the source for additional details!

:arrow: SOURCE

Last edited by Prans,

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since the hard drive is removable I don't see why most people just swap out that 500GB for a 2TB Seagate for less than a $100.

Easy for a brand new system, a pain in the ass that requires multiple drives if you have data you want to keep. Saves, games, updates you don't want to spend hours or days redownloading at the PS4's lackluster download rates. You need your new drive, plus an external to do the transfer so it's MUCH MUCH easier to just be able to plug in a new external and use that.

No replacing the drive isn't hard, but it's a hassle, and making a system more hassle free is VERY welcome. This is the one thing in an update that's the most useful thing they could have possibly done. There's not any reason to belittle it, particularly when the competition has had it since day one.

Plus you can throw that 500GB into the Seagate enclosure so there is no wasting it.

It's a waste if you didn't have need for a 500GB external and just wanted more room on the PS4.

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Finally custom wallpapers. Something the PS3 had on day one.

fuck paid themes.

I already put in a 2TB HDD on mine. It really isn't hard. There is literally 2 screws (1 on the older ones) holding it in place. SECA's website even shows you how to do it....this will future proof PSN purchases

Microsoft on the other hand............

Luckkill4u

4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Easy for a brand new system, a pain in the ass that requires multiple drives if you have data you want to keep. Saves, games, updates you don't want to spend hours or days redownloading at the PS4's lackluster download rates. You need your new drive, plus an external to do the transfer so it's MUCH MUCH easier to just be able to plug in a new external and use that.

No replacing the drive isn't hard, but it's a hassle, and making a system more hassle free is VERY welcome. This is the one thing in an update that's the most useful thing they could have possibly done. There's not any reason to belittle it, particularly when the competition has had it since day one.

It's a waste if you didn't have need for a 500GB external and just wanted more room on the PS4.
I guess you didn't read any of my other posts in this thread? I cloned my 500GB drive onto my 2TB drive with absolute ease. There was no downloading besides downloading the cloning software onto my PC. I'd say the most difficult part was connecting the 500GB drive to my PC but in my case (well in most cases) it was quite easy because I have 2 hot swap drive bays, you could also use a second enclosure and you could just crack open your PC then internally mount it. I can understand people being lazy and not inclined to do that but you'd have to be stupid not to figure that out.

I'm assuming the speeds on the external hard drive would pale in comparison to a internal hard drive. If you want to expand your storage replacing your internal storage is much more optimal.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Finally they added support for Stereoscopic movies on PSVR!
I always wondered why it wasn't a day one release feature. it's so obvious to get stereoscopic option on a stereoscopic device.

They only recently added VR support on youtube (USA had it for weeks, not europe), it's coming slowly.
when will youtube support SBS stereoscopic movies too? come one, one more little effort!

About External HDD Support.... yeah, great, where do I plug it? 1 PSVR, 1 controller .... no more USB

Last edited by Cyan,

Bonestorm

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Finally they added support for Stereoscopic movies on PSVR!
I always wondered why it wasn't a day one release feature. it's so obvious to get stereoscopic option on a stereoscopic device.

They only recently added VR support on youtube (USA had it for weeks, not europe), it's coming slowly.
when will youtube support SBS stereoscopic movies too? come one, one more little effort!

About External HDD Support.... yeah, great, where do I plug it? 1 PSVR, 1 controller .... no more USB
lack of usb on the back hurts...the pro has them on the back

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
So PS4 users are getting an update to enable things it should have come with at launch.

Neat.

Though if I had purchased a PS4 and it didn't come with these basic features, I would have felt ripped-off. Especially as a previous PS3 PHAT owner.

flame1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Screenshots only supported, so the procedure will be:
1) Upload image somewhere
2) Navigate web browser there
3) Take screenshot
4) Set screenshot as wallpaper :)

PS4 Pro Boost Mode - Extra performance in most titles & without developer support. How about that?

Ralph1611

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great news. Im new to the PS4. I just got a Slim. In the mean time can someone link me to some good 2TB Hard drives i can put inside the PS4? Id really appreciate it. :)

Preferably from Best Buy

Last edited by Ralph1611,

Master_Jorn

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
masterjorn222.wixsite.com
XP
Country
United States

Announced today on the Playstation Blog, the PS4's next major system software update, version 4.50 (codenamed Sasuke) will bring some much awaited features:

• External HDD Support: store content to an external HDD with USB 3.0 (up to 8TB); all the apps saved in the external HDD will appear in the Content Launcher of the Home Screen
  • Custom Wallpapers: set your favorite in-game screenshot as your homescreen's background
  • Quick Menu Refresh
  • Simplified Notification List
  • Post directly on PlayStation Network Activity Feeds
  • View 3D movies in stereoscopic 3D directly on the PS VR
The update is out now for select beta testers and should be out for the general mass in the weeks to come. Check the source for additional details!

:arrow: SOURCE
Looks metal... If I had a ps4...

xstationbr

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
i have registred on beta, but dont received confirmation yet.
if possible install this beta ofw i want to know.
thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHNH5pnioQk