PS4 System Software Update 4.50 to bring External HDD support, Custom wallpapers and more

Capture.JPG

Announced today on the Playstation Blog, the PS4's next major system software update, version 4.50 (codenamed Sasuke) will bring some much awaited features:

• External HDD Support: store content to an external HDD with USB 3.0 (up to 8TB); all the apps saved in the external HDD will appear in the Content Launcher of the Home Screen
  • Custom Wallpapers: set your favorite in-game screenshot as your homescreen's background
32495779771_035aefb600_z.jpg
  • Quick Menu Refresh
  • Simplified Notification List
  • Post directly on PlayStation Network Activity Feeds
  • View 3D movies in stereoscopic 3D directly on the PS VR
The update is out now for select beta testers and should be out for the general mass in the weeks to come. Check the source for additional details!

:arrow: SOURCE

Last edited by Prans,

Daggot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Boost mode? Is this Pro exclusive or all systems?
Pro exclusive. It supposedly boosts performance in games without specific pro patches. It won't let you topple a frame cap of 30 per say and it isn't optimized for the pro but I'm sure it'll make some unsupported games more stable in the framerate department.

flame1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The PS3 had it working at working at first by having 2 chips run at tandem in the PS3(the PS2 emotion engine and the PS3 cell) in order to give true PS2 gameplay with no emulation but in the end the production costs were too high and it was discontinued in favor of software emulation.
I know but that's no excuse not to have PS1 and PS2 emulation. PS4 is powerful enough to do PS2 with good compatibility and PS1 with near perfect compatibility (only weird games with special hardware would be incompatible). We are also talking games from 10+ years ago that not a lot of people have or care to play anymore. That might be the real reason it is missing.

It has to be a game screenshot. They won't let you use an image of your choice just yet. Not sure why.
Custom Wallpapers: set your favorite in-game screenshot as your homescreen's background

Last edited by flame1234,

Daggot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know but that's no excuse not to have PS1 and PS2 emulation. PS4 is powerful enough to do PS2 with good compatibility and PS1 with near perfect compatibility (only weird games with special hardware would be incompatible). We are also talking games from 10+ years ago that not a lot of people have or care to play anymore. That might be the real reason it is missing.

It has to be a game screenshot. They won't let you use an image of your choice just yet. Not sure why.
It's no excuse to not have PS1 emulation you mean. The PS4 has PS2 emulation in the form of PS2 classics like the PS3 did in post Emotion Engine models. In hindsight they should've allowed players to use their own PS2 disks to play the PS2 games but they just a added a few new features like trophies and 1080p upscaling but in exchange slapped an arguably unreasonable price on each game. ($14.99 for dark cloud...really?)

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's no excuse to not have PS1 emulation you mean. The PS4 has PS2 emulation in the form of PS2 classics like the PS3 did in post Emotion Engine models. In hindsight they should've allowed players to use their own PS2 disks to play the PS2 games but they just a added a few new features like trophies and 1080p upscaling but in exchange slapped an arguably unreasonable price on each game. ($14.99 for dark cloud...really?)
Not to mention no full screen support, what about games that have wide screen settings? I'm sick of seeing black borders everytime i play Rogue Galaxy. Also there still glitches in the game, graphical and soft locks, a update supposed to maybe fix them but is rare. :glare:

PS1 on PS3 = $6 (WITH EXCEPTION OF SQUARE ENIX TITLES BEING $10) Up to 720P With slight full screen. (Also has Save data porting between PSP/VITA copies.
PS2 On Ps3 = $10 Up to 720P with slight full screen
PS2 on PS4 = $15 up to 1080P with Trophies and no full screen or changeable memory cards

I dunno but they just seem to be wacky with the marketing lately, not to mention that the games already released on ps3 ps2 classics should be ready for ps4 as well if is a better system built for it than ps3. :wtf:

Daggot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to mention no full screen support, what about games that have wide screen settings? I'm sick of seeing black borders everytime i play Rogue Galaxy. Also there still glitches in the game, graphical and soft locks, a update supposed to maybe fix them but is rare. :glare:

PS1 on PS3 = $6 (WITH EXCEPTION OF SQUARE ENIX TITLES BEING $10) Up to 720P With slight full screen. (Also has Save data porting between PSP/VITA copies.
PS2 On Ps3 = $10 Up to 720P with slight full screen
PS2 on PS4 = $15 up to 1080P with Trophies and no full screen or changeable memory cards

I dunno but they just seem to be wacky with the marketing lately, not to mention that the games already released on ps3 ps2 classics should be ready for ps4 as well if is a better system built for it than ps3. :wtf:
It has something to do with licensing if I'm remembering this right. The company has to give Sony approval again before they can publish it on the PS Store.

Daggot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess but they are already on the psn store. PS3 Specifcally, so how much harder is it to go to ps4? :wtf:
I don't know, the sad thing is that they aren't more transparent about these things so as far as I know they could be sitting on their asses waiting for companies to approach them and resign the agreement themselves.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know, the sad thing is that they aren't more transparent about these things so as far as I know they could be sitting on their asses waiting for companies to approach them and resign the agreement themselves.
Times like this i wish my First gen backwards compatible ps3 didn't YLOD or my ps2 was homebrewed. :P
Miss playing Sonic Riders, and Tales games on it. :D

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As much as i like to defend backwards compatibility support for newer consoles, i have to say that is not really a thing to consider. You buy a new console to play new games, not to play games you already owned or had played before, that what the old consoles are for. Being able to develope working componets to play them is already enough of a task that some people find it unncessary or able to add later. But is almost always unoptimized. Software emulation which is how the Playstation store games work in this case need license permission as well as being able to create emulator to work with the game accuratly due to system not already supporting native hard ware which would either cost more to produce and to purchase systems for us or take longer to develope forcing delays in systems.

Buying a new system to play old games is not intended, is just a preservation idea and possible marketing tactic to take advanage of. Is probably easier said than done to play if possible on original hardware.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't care about BC. If you're having a hissy fit over PS1/PS2 games, grab a PS2 for whole $20 tops and just play your damned discs, the TV will upscale them anyways. I'm far more interested in Boost Mode, it seems that I have to seriously reconsider getting a Pro now, because I like *new* games. I can play my *old* games on my *old* systems just fine.

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
PS_Messages_20170204_102020.jpg
Tried this this morning on Sleeping Dogs DE, Resi Revelations 2 and Battlefield 4. The difference is instantly noticeable, great improvement.

Custom wallpapers But only game screenshots :c
No you can use any image from the web browser or any image attached to a message using the PS Messages app, literally any image.

Reactions: Foxi4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
View attachment 77244
Tried this this morning on Sleeping Dogs DE, Resi Revelations 2 and Battlefield 4. The difference is instantly noticeable, great improvement.

No you can use any image from the web browser or any image attached to a message using the PS Messages app, literally any image.
I'm pretty sure BF1 is Pro-optimised now.

EDIT: Yup, it is.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The reason for no Hdd support as of yet was because NTFS is a format owned by Microsoft and they had to pay money to use that format. I could be wrong tho but was what i've heard in the past anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool