PS4 Less Powerful Than The Nintendo WiiU?

AceWarhead

"Must Construct Additional Pylons"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i was trying to make the point that they sell expensive memory cards (that only they can produce and sell) to offset the cheap selling price of the vita console.
Well, yes, that's what alot of company's do. They make a loss on their console, and then have a bunch of accessories and services..
For example, The Xbox 360 was sold at a loss (IIRC) but it made up for it with Xbox Live and the hard drives.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
i was trying to make the point that they sell expensive memory cards (that only they can produce and sell) to offset the cheap selling price of the vita console.

@Foxi4 and advertisement. dont forget advertisement. (which is probably the next expensive thing besides pure hardware costs) and storage.

also, considering how sony made about 2 billion $ losses this year that they blame on videogames (with all the other stuff they do its 6 billion) you could be pretty sure they did make a loss with the vita somewhere.

Damn those evil Sony bastards trying to actually make money! I mean the whole point of devoting an entire section of your company to producing video games, hardware and consoles is to provide quality entertainment out of the goodness of their own hearts, right?

/s

Reactions: 4 people

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

@Foxi4 and advertisement. dont forget advertisement. (which is probably the next expensive thing besides pure hardware costs) and storage.

also, considering how sony made about 2 billion $ losses this year that they blame on videogames (with all the other stuff they do its 6 billion) you could be pretty sure they did make a loss with the vita somewhere.

Damn those evil Sony bastards trying to actually make money! I mean the whole point of devoting an entire section of your company to producing video games, hardware and consoles is to provide quality entertainment out of the goodness of their own hearts, right?

/s

when nintendo was not selling its handheld at a loss, it was seen way to expensive. specially in retrospective. but nintendo did not reduce its price by taking away one of its screens to sell them separately.

So, all-in-all, they're being fair?

Nintendo overpriced their handheld by about $90, Sony's selling theirs at a loss, making up the balance with memory cards and Sony's somehow the bad guys here? Again, okay.

ok, they reap the rewards of announcing a cheap price (forcing competition to move away from making a profit from hardware as they always did in the past, even though it ended up giving the 3ds a considerable advantage due to highly increased sales; also, the pricedrop was generally percieved to be a pretty negative step, was it not? it even angered the core fan basis of nintendo supporters and early adopters)
and also making the vita look like a too good to be true deal (which it ended up being kinda), then, long time after that, shortly before the release, they basically raised the price again, without actually having to raise the pricetag. and thats what i criticize personally. i would've been ok with them adding the memory card (at least the mandatory but really not big enough one for starters) for free or by raising the total price tag. show how much it will cost you to play at the preorder price already.
its not like the memory cards were a last minute idea or anything

i'm happy that new electronics are cheap too, really. but i also sometimes miss the time when you paid what something was worth (+profitmargin). i get the feeling that, subsidizing prizes on consoles, or being allowed to put a 1$/€ pricetag on the newest smartphone (+contract), or reducing assembly costs so far that buying electronics ends up being somewhat of a morally objectionable thing... it really distorts a lot.
it changed consumers mentality to a point where what is perceived as adequate pricing is not actually correlated to production costs but to what one paid the last time. it was cheap at one point, it should be cheap always. yeah, thats not how everyone thinks, but it seems to be close from what you read in the comments section of dozens of websites.

its just that pure hardware costs dont make the final pricetag, which is why its crazy to say that the 3ds was sold 90 bucks above its worth. if anything, it was sold 90$ above its hardware costs. it was sold at a profit, yes. after paying for development, advertisement, shipping, software, storage, they made an undefinable amount of profit with the launchprice. but really, thats the way things should be, should they not? its kind of a basic principle of our market system. you invest X dollars and in return, you get X+Y dollars back.

god knows how many companies might die in the future just because they have to take the risk of selling something at a loss over and over. i mean really, how could sony not do this again in the future? people already are saying that the ps4 should be less expensive than the ps3 was. they say the same for the wii u like , 250$? 200! at the most! who knows if there will even be a ps5 if sony keeps on making so many losses. i dont know if they actually follow the same road for their tv division, or if there, they really just have to deal with terrible sales. but, increasing losses will, one day or another, start to take its toll even on a company as big as sony.

on the other hand, theres companies doing exactly the opposite, adding another 200$ to the tab cause theres like a little apple somewhere on the hardware and being praised too. but at least they only sell you meaningless additional shit afterwards, like docking stations.

anyway, i know a lot of this is just my personal opinion and it may be slightly nintendo biased (even though i own like 3 sony consoles) but its certainly not entirely baseless.

coming back to the topic at hand, ps4 will be more powerful than wiiu, obviously. theres just too many things supporting that. apart from the fact that they always put a lot of effort into having a powerful console and that they would look even worse than they did when they copied nintendos wiimote, systempower is probably the one unique selling point of the playstation system at this point.

but anything below 700$ is either unrealistic OR a terrible risk from sonys side. i just dont see how they could stay just at the ps3 launch price. well, maybe theyll let their workers over at foxcon starve to shave off a few bucks more, but... that would probably mean the ps4 ends up as a limited edition rarity

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

/s

when nintendo was not selling its handheld at a loss, it was seen way to expensive. specially in retrospective. but nintendo did not reduce its price by taking away one of its screens to sell them separately.

So, all-in-all, they're being fair?

Nintendo overpriced their handheld by about $90, Sony's selling theirs at a loss, making up the balance with memory cards and Sony's somehow the bad guys here? Again, okay.

ok, they reap the rewards of announcing a cheap price (forcing competition to move away from making a profit from hardware as they always did in the past, even though it ended up giving the 3ds a considerable advantage due to highly increased sales; also, the pricedrop was generally percieved to be a pretty negative step, was it not? it even angered the core fan basis of nintendo supporters and early adopters)
and also making the vita look like a too good to be true deal (which it ended up being kinda), then, long time after that, shortly before the release, they basically raised the price again, without actually having to raise the pricetag. and thats what i criticize personally. i would've been ok with them adding the memory card (at least the mandatory but really not big enough one for starters) for free or by raising the total price tag. show how much it will cost you to play at the preorder price already.
its not like the memory cards were a last minute idea or anything

i'm happy that new electronics are cheap too, really. but i also sometimes miss the time when you paid what something was worth (+profitmargin). i get the feeling that, subsidizing prizes on consoles, or being allowed to put a 1$/€ pricetag on the newest smartphone (+contract), or reducing assembly costs so far that buying electronics ends up being somewhat of a morally objectionable thing... it really distorts a lot.
it changed consumers mentality to a point where what is perceived as adequate pricing is not actually correlated to production costs but to what one paid the last time. it was cheap at one point, it should be cheap always. yeah, thats not how everyone thinks, but it seems to be close from what you read in the comments section of dozens of websites.

its just that pure hardware costs dont make the final pricetag, which is why its crazy to say that the 3ds was sold 90 bucks above its worth. if anything, it was sold 90$ above its hardware costs. it was sold at a profit, yes. after paying for development, advertisement, shipping, software, storage, they made an undefinable amount of profit with the launchprice. but really, thats the way things should be, should they not? its kind of a basic principle of our market system. you invest X dollars and in return, you get X+Y dollars back.

god knows how many companies might die in the future just because they have to take the risk of selling something at a loss over and over. i mean really, how could sony not do this again in the future? people already are saying that the ps4 should be less expensive than the ps3 was. they say the same for the wii u like , 250$? 200! at the most! who knows if there will even be a ps5 if sony keeps on making so many losses. i dont know if they actually follow the same road for their tv division, or if there, they really just have to deal with terrible sales. but, increasing losses will, one day or another, start to take its toll even on a company as big as sony.

on the other hand, theres companies doing exactly the opposite, adding another 200$ to the tab cause theres like a little apple somewhere on the hardware and being praised too. but at least they only sell you meaningless additional shit afterwards, like docking stations.

anyway, i know a lot of this is just my personal opinion and it may be slightly nintendo biased (even though i own like 3 sony consoles) but its certainly not entirely baseless.

coming back to the topic at hand, ps4 will be more powerful than wiiu, obviously. theres just too many things supporting that. apart from the fact that they always put a lot of effort into having a powerful console and that they would look even worse than they did when they copied nintendos wiimote, systempower is probably the one unique selling point of the playstation system at this point.

but anything below 700$ is either unrealistic OR a terrible risk from sonys side. i just dont see how they could stay just at the ps3 launch price. well, maybe theyll let their workers over at foxcon starve to shave off a few bucks more, but... that would probably mean the ps4 ends up as a limited edition rarity

And only an idiot would release a console in today's economy at over 300 dollars and expect it to sell well. Sony can't afford to take a loss on a new console, but they are risking big on anything over 450 bucks with the world economy as it is. And a 700 dollar console would be absolutely stupid, you can buy a decent gaming PC for that price and upgrade every couple of years while that already obsolete PS4 hardware remains obsolete. The only thing the PS4 might have an edge in is graphics, and even that will be marginal. The leap from the PS3/360 era to next generation will not be as big as it will be for Nintendo, lest Sony and Microsoft risk losing market share on extremely expensive products. Maybe Sony should ditch this whole hardware standardization crap, put out a system that isn't a colossal rip off after 5+ years on the market like the PS3 is now, and try to make some money for once instead of flushing it all down the toilet. They haven't been profitable for years while Microsoft doesn't need to care about a loss on console sales, they have enough dough to do what they want.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Honestly, they don't need to make it stronger than the WiiU. Look at the PS3. It had all that beefy hardware, but it still hasn't reached it's potential in games. It's all gone to waste. And not to mention how expensive it was. If they just make it as strong as the WiiU, but still get exclusives and not have 90% of the library shared with it's competitors, than Sony is in the clear. No point in putting stuff in a console that isn't going to be used and put yourself in debt.

TheNathanNS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm on the edge with this one.
If Nintendo make the Wii U 2x powerful than the Wii then PS4 will destroy it, that's why some people hate the Wii, since it's too weak to run games like GTA 4 or some features of games like Call Of Duty World at War's zombies, Wii never had it, Xbox. PS3 and PC did.
I hope Nintendo will make it just as (or maybe even more) powerful than PS4. Then some people may tone down on the Wii's processor.
Judging by the Assassins Creed 3 Wii U gameplay I reckon it'll be as strong as the PS4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AgcKKjxDME

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm on the edge with this one.
If Nintendo make the Wii U 2x powerful than the Wii then PS4 will destroy it, that's why some people hate the Wii, since it's too weak to run games like GTA 4 or some features of games like Call Of Duty World at War's zombies, Wii never had it, Xbox. PS3 and PC did.
I hope Nintendo will make it just as (or maybe even more) powerful than PS4. Then some people may tone down on the Wii's processor.
Judging by the Assassins Creed 3 Wii U gameplay I reckon it'll be as strong as the PS4.

There's pretty much literally NO chance the WiiU will be anywhere near the power of the other next gen consoles. It's already promising to be a bit more powerful than the current gen consoles...which is fine IMO.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There's pretty much literally NO chance the WiiU will be anywhere near the power of the other next gen consoles. It's already promising to be a bit more powerful than the current gen consoles...which is fine IMO.
IMO, you can't say for sure.

True, Sony could opt to take a half-assed jump to be about half as powerful as the xbox720, and the WiiU could be almost as powerful as it.
But if we use common sense, then yeah, the WiiU is going to be behind a gen, again. Is it really a problem? Hell naw, Wii games will be fine as long as they can finally be in true HD, and not the half-assed shit the Wii currently calls HD. Which it will.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: What the hell was that Syl?