PS4 Less Powerful Than The Nintendo WiiU?

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
4x is a bit of an overkill, I don't think they will. In fact, 1.5x the PS3 actually sounds about right, 2x at best. Sony never aimed for the "top specs-wise" - they simply want to release proper next-gen systems that are pleasant to program for for developers - it's always been like that.
Say what? That all they been doing lately. Top specs console wise to vita top specs portable wise.

How big was the gap from ps2 -> ps3? Surely not near 4x as much.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Ehh, the rumours and leaked specs say otherwise. Sony is opting for a full generational leap this time.

And a $599 price-tag again because they want to go bankrupt.

Edit: And then I realized that 4x PS3 is roughly equivalent to the leaked specs (certainly isn't a slouch, though)
Except those specs look retarded - Sony will never opt for an x86 CPU, not in a million years. They make consoles, they don't need multi-purpose chips, they need chips specifically made for floating point operations. This is not a console design, this is a PC design.

Guess we'll see next year, but honestly? don't trust those spec sheets even for a second.
Say what? That all they been doing lately. Top specs console wise to vita top specs portable wise.

How big was the gap from ps2 -> ps3? Surely not near 4x as much.
It's not the Vita being an overkill, it's the 3DS being a generation behind.

The difference between the PS2 and the PS3 was quite considerable, but do note that the PS2 had an extremely long life cycle.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
obviously, alone by comming later and by looking at the companies history, it will make its system more powerful and also much more expensive (+ it will sell you mandatory expensive memory cards and probably even some kind of activation pass... and who knows what else to make it even more expensive)

just like what they did for the vita ^^ (announcing a cheap price long before release, force competition to drop prices, then mention that you also need a 50 dollar memory stick to play most games)

D

Deleted_171835

It's not the Vita being an overkill, it's the3DS being a generation behind.
Compare to what? There are only two portables in the generation.
IIRC, vita was the first portable device to sport a quad core, no?
Compared to modern portable devices.

The 3DS is based on 2008/9 tech. The Vita is based on more recent tech.

Vita is a generation ahead of the 3DS which is a generation ahead of the PSP.

Except those specs look retarded - Sony will never opt for an x86 CPU, not in a million years. They make consoles, they don't need multi-purpose chips, they need chips specifically made for floating point operations. This is not a console design, this is a PC design.

Guess we'll see next year, but honestly? don't trust those spec sheets even for a second.
Eh, the specs are said to be real by insiders and that site has correctly posted other spec-sheets such as the Wii U's.

And a x86 CPU isn't that bad of an idea. Developers are familiar with it so it wouldn't be much of a learning curve for them, they could port more code directly to it and it's cheaper than a custom design like the Cell. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony goes that route.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
just like what they did for the vita ^^ (announcing a cheap price long before release, force competition to drop prices, then mention that you also need a 50 dollar memory stick to play most games)
3DS:
Launch Price: $250
CPU: Twin-Core ARM11 (Presumably Cortex-A8)
RAM: 128MB RAM
GPU: Pica200 (Custom, full specification not available)
Connectivity: WiFi, iR, NiFi

Vita:
Launch Price: $249 for the WiFi Edition, $299 for the 3G Edition
CPU: Quad-Core ARM Cortex-A9
RAM: 512MB RAM, 128MB VRAM
GPU: Quad-Core SGX543MP4+
Connectivity: WiFi, Bluetooth 3G*, GPS*, (*3G Editon only)

So... You got MORE for basically the same price and you still praise Nintendo's way of doing things? Okay.

EDIT: Just to clarify - I'm slimply reading between the lines of what you said - I may be wrong. What I want to stress here is that Nintendo's launch of the 3DS was a rip-off on a global scale while Sony's selling their handheld barely making any profit at all. The memory cards were priced the way they were because they're a necessity to play most games and they HAVE to make profit on SOMETHING Vita-related.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
obviously, alone by comming later and by looking at the companies history, it will make its system more powerful and also much more expensive (+ it will sell you mandatory expensive memory cards and probably even some kind of activation pass... and who knows what else to make it even more expensive)

Um...no?

http://www.amazon.com/4GB-PlayStation-Vita-Memory-Card/dp/B006JKAS20
http://www.amazon.com/8GB-PlayStation-Vita-Memory-Card/dp/B006JKAS6G

Rasas

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They wouldn't do the memory stick thing for the PS4 but probably a hard drive like before and if anything MS screws you with accessories (they do hard drives because a lot of users just need the space so SSD or another solution is out of the question since of the price). Online passes is becoming the norm for both Playstation and MS the only one avoiding it right now is Nintendo but that might change.(Of course Playstation forced some companies like the developer of Twisted Metal to add it.)
Nintendo lowering their price could of happened for any number of reasons I think it was mostly low sales but of course the VIta was probably another factor and as said above the memory stick isn't that expensive except maybe where you live which I doubt since it shows as Germany.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
If Wii U's about 1.5x PS3, I doubt they would make a 1x PS4 (equivalent to PS3), they'll do at least an 4x PS3
4x is a bit of an overkill, I don't think they will. In fact, 1.5x the PS3 actually sounds about right, 2x at best. Sony never aimed for the "top specs-wise" - they simply want to release proper next-gen systems that are pleasant to program for for developers - it's always been like that.

The PS2 jump to say:
CPU: 128 Bits Chip Emotion Engine 294'912 Mhz
GPU: 147 Mhz Chip GraphicsSynthesizer

PS3:
CPU: 1 Power-PC (PPE) clocked at 3,2Ghz and seven (SPE, mini cpus doing basic stuff like crunching small portions of code, aiding GPU, clocked at 3,2Ghz each)
GPU: RSX NVIDIA G70 architecture. Clocked at 550 MHz and makes use of 256 MB VRAM clocked at 700 MHz (GDDR3) which means about 1,4Ghz effective data bus.
System RAM; Including the 256MB RAM whose RAMBUS is clocked at the same CPU speed (3,2Ghz)

There's a BIG difference there. i don't particularly think the "4x" will be unnecessary, because the technology available today is much better than 6 years ago. I see a mixture of both X360 & PS3 architecture focused on the next PS4. (physical multicores & cell technology)

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
3DS:

Vita:

So... You got MORE for basically the same price and you still praise Nintendo? Okay.

first of all, you did not get more for the same price for half a year or something. on the other hand, nintendo got bashed for having its pricetag and then reducing it, cause in comparison, of course it could not stand like it did.
obviously, every company can pull such a move and sell its product at a loss. its a valid move.
then, much later, sony put on its trollface and introduced its proprietary overpriced memory cards that were mandatory to actually play some games, basically raising the long announced cheap price.
and really, if you want to use all the great multimedia aspects of this console, 8gb is hardly enough space

@[member='TwinRetro']: thanks for pointing out that the small memory cards are cheaper than the big ones. (also, apparently they are a bit cheaper in the usa, i used € prices as a basis. our 8gb card costs 42$ if you convert the prices)

MelodieOctavia

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
3DS:

Vita:

So... You got MORE for basically the same price and you still praise Nintendo? Okay.

first of all, you did not get more for the same price for half a year or something. on the other hand, nintendo got bashed for having its pricetag and then reducing it, cause in comparison, of course it could not stand like it did.
obviously, every company can pull such a move and sell its product at a loss. its a valid move.
then, much later, sony put on its trollface and introduced its proprietary overpriced memory cards that were mandatory to actually play some games, basically raising the long announced cheap price.
and really, if you want to use all the great multimedia aspects of this console, 8gb is hardly enough space

@[member='TwinRetro']: thanks for pointing out that the small memory cards are cheaper than the big ones. (also, apparently they are a bit cheaper in the usa, i used € prices as a basis. our 8gb card costs 42$ if you convert the prices)

If you want to thank me for anything, thank me for pointing out your exaggerations. :)

Reactions: 1 person

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
and really, if you want to use all the great multimedia aspects of this console, 8gb is hardly enough space.
Read my Edit, it should clarify a few things.

Sony learned from their mistakes - the PS3 was sold at a loss, the Vita isn't and neither will the PS4. To reach the point of a complete generation leap with their new console, it would have to be priced at $500 at the very least, and how well did that turn out for them the last time?

I'm expecting a *decent* piece of hardware - a big step forward, but not a leap, at a well-thought-through price considering the specs. That'd be that.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Off the point.. This link I have seen is in the background.. what's that ? A ps3 game ? I think I have seen it somewhere else. By the way, PS4 is too early to know so nobody know for sure just yet.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
http://myona.com/2011/08/13/a-60-loss-per-ps-vita-sold-for-sony-analyst/

i'm pretty sure the vita was (i dont know if it still is but i guess so) sold at a loss per console.

the ps3 is not anymore, and a 4 times as powerful console will probably be again

MelodieOctavia

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
But you did see the price for the 16 gb memory card, yes?

Yes, but you certainly don't need a 16GB memory card to play "most games", which was your entire point. If you said that Vita memory cards are expensive, then that would be one thing, but that didn't seem like the point you were trying to make.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
i'm pretty sure the vita was (i dont know if it still is but i guess so) sold at a loss per console.
You're right, it might be sold at a loss then, still I'd prefere an official Sony statement about that rather than some analyst just "saying" it. ;)

The components are about $160, the rest is just shipping costs and manufacturing costs.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i was trying to make the point that they sell expensive memory cards (that only they can produce and sell) to offset the cheap selling price of the vita console.

@Foxi4 and advertisement. dont forget advertisement. (which is probably the next expensive thing besides pure hardware costs) and storage.

also, considering how sony made about 2 billion $ losses this year that they blame on videogames (with all the other stuff they do its 6 billion) you could be pretty sure they did make a loss with the vita somewhere.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
i was trying to make the point that they sell expensive memory cards (that only they can produce and sell) to offset the cheap selling price of the vita console.
So, all-in-all, they're being fair?

Nintendo overpriced their handheld by about $90, Sony's selling theirs at a loss, making up the balance with memory cards and Sony's somehow the bad guys here? Again, okay.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3