PS1/2 PS2 Controllers, bought 2 of them, both with the same problem! With pictures.

nashismo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Guys I didn't know how to name the post but well, the issue is this:

I just bought a PS2 Slim 90001, the last one. Here in my country, from a very reputable guy, the console was really great, hardly a scratch, reads everything (plus backup ;) just great.

It came with two controllers, both in very good condition, you can tell in the analogue rubber, it has not being used much (it's texture is like a brand new controller) you know? the part that gets sticky and oily? The rubber part is like new.

But! BOTH controllers have the plastic edges of each left analogue teared apart, I just can't explain it with words so here are the pics:

xpsbqa.jpg

2woixcy.jpg

Both controllers have EXACTLY the same problem in its plastic. Besides that, they work great, and they look like they where HARDLY used, so I know is not heavy use. Besides, like I described, the PS2 itself was in great shape too.

Is this a flaw of PS2 controllers? I mean what is this? and this is only on the LEFT analogs, the plastic edges on the analogs on the right are perfect on both controllers.

So I guess my question is if anyone has had this issue with PS2 controllers? What could it be?

Thank you guys and hey, I love this forum :)

Last edited by nashismo,

0ddity

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Weird, haven't seen that before. Maybe long fingernails, habitually scratching it? Maybe a NASCAR game marathon race? I find lots of strange things with used systems and bundles.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
That kind of material tends to get dry and lose its "gummy" feeling with the time. considering how long ago the PS2 have been discontinued from production. I'd suspect that's the reason, beside it's "normal" use.

nashismo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Thank you guys for your answers.

The problem really is that, these broken edges what they do is start "sanding" the inner rubber of the anologue stick itself.

My theory is that the material used for the last batch of black PS2 controllers is just bad, and it tends to simply come off with time. I bet those transparent blue PS2 controllers don't have this issue, because the plastic is different.

Anyone have one of those blue controllers?

Thank guys and forgive me for not checking your answers before, work had me busy.

Cheers friends! :)

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
My original PS3 controller is also worn in the exact same place, don't worry, it's the typical attitude towards quality of post-80s Sony

D

Deleted User

Guys I didn't know how to name the post but well, the issue is this:

I just bought a PS2 Slim 90001, the last one. Here in my country, from a very reputable guy, the console was really great, hardly a scratch, reads everything (plus backup ;) just great.

It came with two controllers, both in very good condition, you can tell in the analogue rubber, it has not being used much (it's texture is like a brand new controller) you know? the part that gets sticky and oily? The rubber part is like new.

But! BOTH controllers have the plastic edges of each left analogue teared apart, I just can't explain it with words so here are the pics:

xpsbqa.jpg

2woixcy.jpg

Both controllers have EXACTLY the same problem in its plastic. Besides that, they work great, and they look like they where HARDLY used, so I know is not heavy use. Besides, like I described, the PS2 itself was in great shape too.

Is this a flaw of PS2 controllers? I mean what is this? and this is only on the LEFT analogs, the plastic edges on the analogs on the right are perfect on both controllers.

So I guess my question is if anyone has had this issue with PS2 controllers? What could it be?

Thank you guys and hey, I love this forum :)
That happens with use it’s not a thing to worry about

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: imagine not having hands, cringe