Feedback Hardware PS1/2 OPL stuttering on HDD loaded games, some display double. Was working fine before

RodeenPT

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hello there.

I've been using FMCB for a few years. The 500GB sata HDD I'm using never had any problems, neither did the 3rd party network sata-to-PS2 adapter. Yet, I decided to add a new game that just got translated (normally I only add new games via USB, cuz I think removing the HDD from the PS2 is too risky) and I put it on my docking station... add via WinHiip like normal, everything went fine.

Then when I try loading games, they all stutter during cutscenes. This was completely fine before, it never stuttered. Most also stutter a bit during gameplay. And a few are even not displaying correctly like ZOE here which horizontally doubles the game's visuals.

I tried different versions of OPL. I tried different DMA modes. Nothing seems to fix it.

Could it be that my HDD was slightly damaged when I put it in the docking station? It's weird cuz if so, it only affected the reading speed as all the data is absolutely fine. Or could it be that the adapter was damaged? I don't see why it would be. I remmember I had one that I ended up giving to a friend of mine which literally lost part of the plastic in the connecting area, yet it still worked perfectly. The one I'm using now is perfectly intact. And since it was working 100% fine before... It's a hard to think that's what got damaged.

View attachment zoe opl bs.jpg
Some games display wrong. Doubling the image horizontally. And most games stutter, especially in cutscenes.

I really can't find any cause and effect. I'm really out of my depth here.

I may buy a new HDD on monday and use the docking station with WinHiip's fucntion to clone the drive's data and structure (as it seems to be okay). I think the idea that all my ISO's went slightly bad is kinda out the door I think.

If anyone had anything similair happening to them, or knows for sure it has to be my HDD going bad, please inform me because I troubleshooted as far as I could.

If anyone could help I would be very grateful.

MichiS97

"Leftist snowflake milennial"
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hmmm this might be difficult to debug.
First off some questions just to know what we're dealing with:
Are you using an official network adapter with a 3rd party SATA adapter or are you using a completely 3rd party network adapter?
What brand is your HDD and how old is it? Which HDD dock are you using for your PC?

Before you buy a new HDD it may be worth it to try to basically start fresh on your current one. Completely format it on your PC with a new partition table and all, then re-format it in the PS2 with uLaunchELF and then try to add all (or some) of your games back.

RodeenPT

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hmmm this might be difficult to debug.
First off some questions just to know what we're dealing with:
Are you using an official network adapter with a 3rd party SATA adapter or are you using a completely 3rd party network adapter?
What brand is your HDD and how old is it? Which HDD dock are you using for your PC?

Before you buy a new HDD it may be worth it to try to basically start fresh on your current one. Completely format it on your PC with a new partition table and all, then re-format it in the PS2 with uLaunchELF and then try to add all (or some) of your games back.
thank you for the replY!
1706450311787.png

I couldn't go back far enought on my purchase history to see all the specifics. But these are it.

The dokcing station is this one:
1706450895699.png

*doesn't allow me to post the link*

I used it before on the same and other drives and it gave no issues. I know completely formatting is an option... however, I no longer have 500GB left on my PC to house all my ps2 games so I can format the drive and then dump then back... That's why I was thinking of getting another 500GB drive and essentially format it properly and clone it. Even if it doesnt work, then well, it can house the data so then I can format my current drive and dump it back. Regrugitate back and forth if have to.

But if you have any other insithgt lmk.
Post automatically merged:

Okay this is weird but it kinda fixes the problem with some games. I could use global settings before but not now. I have to change to NTSC and PAL accordingly per each game so they run fine. I wasn't required to do this before. It's weird. I wonder if OPL changed when I put on the same disk a second time.

Last edited by RodeenPT,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto