Gaming PS2 Computer

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Both of you are incorrect.

You can run full desktop Linux on the PS2 in both commercial and open source flavors (either the official Linux for PS2 disc, or the community developed kernelloader with a method to boot it such as freemcboot or a modchip). In addition you want to have the network adapter, for obvious reasons.

Drivers are available and all the hardware is supported.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Urza said:

You can run full desktop Linux on the PS2 in both commercial and open source flavors (either the official Linux for PS2 disc, or the community developed kernelloader with a method to boot it such as freemcboot or a modchip). In addition you want to have the network adapter, for obvious reasons.

Yes, but he doesn't want to run his PS2 AS a desktop computer, he wants to run it WITH a desktop computer, so they're essentially one machine (I'm assuming so the PS2 can process the game and run the data while the computer displays it...?)

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
They actually have something like this for the 360... but it's just a PC with a 360 slapped on it. You can't use the keyboard/mouse unless it's plugged into the 360.

They have different hardware, you could try running Linux on the PS2... but I wouldn't recommend it as a desktop replacement.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Skyline969 said:
Urza said:

Yes, but he doesn't want to run his PS2 AS a desktop computer, he wants to run it WITH a desktop computer, so they're essentially one machine (I'm assuming so the PS2 can process the game and run the data while the computer displays it...?)
That doesn't make any sense.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Urza said:
Skyline969 said:
Urza said:

That doesn't make any sense.
Precisely. The OP doesn't make sense in his post, and as a result what he said is not possible.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Which is why the answer was no.
The answer definitely wasn't no, since as I described you can functionally combine the two platforms.

You can of course interpret his question in a stupid way, depending on what his goals are there is a very real solution available.

tl;dr if you have no useful information to post, stop posting.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
However I think a capture card might suit him fine? I'm not sure which models would be good though.
there about a 3-5 sec delay, so you would still have to split and go directly to the screen anyway

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Joe88 said:
Rydian said:
However I think a capture card might suit him fine? I'm not sure which models would be good though.
there about a 3-5 sec delay, so you would still have to split and go directly to the screen anyway
I've read about cards that have a "game mode" or whatever that doesn't do any additional processing, so the latency is cut down to very manageable amounts, but as said I don't know which is which.

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
OP
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the responses guys but to clarify i was pondering on the fact if it was possible to literally combine a desktop computer and a ps2 into one super PS2 desktop computer (Just a computer with an intergrated ps2......kinda like what they did with the DVR ]

matt1freek

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just hook your ps2 up to your monitor with a VGA box
tongue.gif

Advi

Trophies
Website
www.fletchowns.net
XP
Country
United States
i very much doubt that would actually work, though you could use your PS2 as a standalone computer with a special kit that let it run a special version of red hat linux. these kits are pretty rare, though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol