Project Scorpio specs revealed, 4K/60fps gameplay shown

stplwqj3f0vv8q8crasy.png

After hyping up their announcement via Eurogamer, Microsoft has finally shed light on just what their upcoming console will have under the hood. The picture above details what these specs are, as well as compares them with the PS4 Pro and Xbox One. It'll also be utilizing Microsoft's Direct 3D 12, and if you have a gaming PC, you'll know that DirectX12 usually allows for impressive performance boosts. Featuring 12 GBs of RAM, a 1TB HDD, and a 4K UHD Bluray player (which the PS4 Pro lacks), it seems that this console has blown expectations away. During the event, Forza was shown off, running at a stunning native 4K/60fps. Not only that, but since the Scorpio is backwards compatible, that means that currently existing Xbox One titles, as well as backwards compatible 360 titles will be getting in on the huge performance and visual boost. Eurogamer has a more specific article, linked below, if you want to really dig into what the console does.

:arrow: Source

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That's all good and fine, but they're releasing it now, when there are like two whole games that fully utilize DX12. Not to mention we aren't even sure if DX12 will end up getting majority support at this point or if Vulkan will win out.
That's fair, however past performance shows that DirectX normally reaches industry-wide implementation. Besides, why wouldn't devs use it on the XBO if it requires significantly less code and debugging? Even if it improves exclusives alone, I'll be quite happy. If the price point is comparable with the S, I'll definitely upgrade, as I have with my PS4.
The power is not the only advantage here, in contrary to sony's design there is a REAL cooling solution and not a simple fan running like a jet !
The Pro and Slim are incredibly quiet compared to the launch model.

morgoth32

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
My pro is more silent the launch model but when I hear sound she produces in winter I know how loud it will be this summer.

s157

Grinder Extraordinaire
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My standard ps4 doesn't make too much of a sound, so I cannot empathize with some of the people here.

If the hardware allows for easily optimized exclusives that'll be a big plus. I have a gaming PC but I enjoy not needing to fiddle with video settings.

According to Ybarra he wants to get support of 3rd party developers, considering that they've lost a rather good one in Platinum games (do note that 3rd party can also mean console exclusive as well, such as Bloodborne and Bayonetta 2). If this hardware can draw the attention of the developers that I'm interested in, I'll probably pick it up. My stance on it is still the same as it was when this was just announced. I rather see what games are coming in the near future.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
That's fair, however past performance shows that DirectX normally reaches industry-wide implementation. Besides, why wouldn't devs use it on the XBO if it requires significantly less code and debugging? Even if it improves exclusives alone, I'll be quite happy. If the price point is comparable with the S, I'll definitely upgrade, as I have with my PS4.
Makes sense for someone who buys pretty much every console, but it offers seemingly nothing special when compared to PS4 Pro (better exclusives) and PC (more power and much larger game library). It would be neat if Scorpio offers support for multiple VR headsets, but then it'd be straying even further into "why not just get a PC" territory.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Makes sense for someone who buys pretty much every console, but it offers seemingly nothing special when compared to PS4 Pro (better exclusives) and PC (more power and much larger game library). It would be neat if Scorpio offers support for multiple VR headsets, but then it'd be straying even further into "why not just get a PC" territory.
I wouldn't say that the Xbox has poor exclusive content - Halo, Titanfall, Dead Rising and Gears of War are action bestsellers, Halo Wars is an amazing RTS, Forza and Forza Horizon are racing classics, and then there's the new IP's like Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, Recore, Ryse and so on. There's loads of upcoming titles as well - State of Decay 2, Crackdown 3 or Sea of Thieves. There's some software to be had, and while some titles are available on PC, it's not really an argument for users who are just looking for a plug and play console experience.

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, but will Zelda or Metroid be coming out for it, and can I take it with me?!

Not sure if Microsoft knows this, but they were at their prime with the original XBOX. Halo has not been the same since. :)

Reactions: jpx86

Trophies
XP
Country
I disapprove of the hardware war, anyone can buy that hardware but without the games to honor the hardware whats the point. this gen is in a severe drought of games and I dont understand why Sony and Microsoft keep throwing power at it to gain an advantage. u can tell me DDR 5 or DDR 3000, it doesn't matter bcuz if it's not dance dance revolution game i dont give a fk. exbox has no games and until ms puts their money towards game i dont wanna see how big they can pump up their fat benis

jpx86

Trophies
XP
Country
A spec bump and still tethered to a TV? Laughable.

Once you have a high end PC and a Switch you start to realize how obsolete Microsoft/Sony consoles are becoming. If I want to be tethered to a single TV/monitor and be wow'ed by specs, then a PC beats them. If you want to enjoy your games and take them anywhere, then the Switch beats them.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States

Once you have a high end PC and a Switch you start to realize how obsolete Microsoft/Sony consoles are becoming. If I want to be tethered to a single TV/monitor and be wow'ed by specs, then a PC beats them. If you want to enjoy your games and take them anywhere, then the Switch beats them.
Opinions are great, no?

Bonestorm

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I wouldn't take a Xbox console if it was given to me for free.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Perfect time for new ninja gaiden 4 game in 4K and 60FPS, that game would look soo godlike! Or shenmue 3. O_O

But i mean that look like a $799 price tag. Back to 1990 again with dumb systems no one will buy for that much.
You won't get any of that, but you will get new Forza...sooo yay?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I question the intelligence of anyone that owns a Switch at this point.

ov3rkill

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I would be more impressed if it's cheaper than ps4 pro. :P
Impressive specs for a console in this gen.
Looks like the gaming console lifespan is getting shorter every damn time.
I hope it won't be an annual upgrade. :rofl2:

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would be more impressed if it's cheaper than ps4 pro. :P
Impressive specs for a console in this gen.
Looks like the gaming console lifespan is getting shorter every damn time.
I hope it won't be an annual upgrade. :rofl2:
yeah, the wii u couldnt last more than 4 years... console lifespan is a joke nowdays.

dude22072

Trophies
Website
dude22072.com
XP
Country
United States
If I remember old announcements correctly, Xbox One -> Scorpio will be like 3ds -> new 3ds. Games that *absolutely require* the increased specs will be exclusive to the new system, otherwise the games will run on both.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • sombrerosonic @ sombrerosonic:
    and C++
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @sombrerosonic, "Unity to die. Coding is a fuck."
  • sombrerosonic @ sombrerosonic:
    Rez how else am I suppose to make my horny AI who wants people to love it?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Real women are better, AI isn't worth the trouble.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Mine would be easy. All it has to do is bob it's head :D:evil::blush:
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Psi can make an AI babe lol.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I knew I should've bought the 50ft ethernet cord over the 25 lesson learned size matters
    +2
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    vffvb gferwbgereg
    :O [☎️ Bunjolio's mother that he's swearing]
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    she*
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fuck
    +1
  • J @ Just_Ragnar:
    What are mlc.bin files and are they important or can i delete them off my wii u sd card
    My apologies there little Miss @Bunjolio :mellow::blush::)
    Butt I'm still telling her :P
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Never gonna give you upNever gonna let you downNever gonna run around and desert youNever gonna make you cryNever gonna say goodbyeNever gonna tell a lie and hurt you
    I don't recognise the song. Which one is it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sigma
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Sometimes people make mistakes, if you correct them then they'll remember.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Try not to easily get offended if somebody calls you by different pronouns by mistake.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What I can't just call someone a dick or a vagina
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O