Project Scorpio specs revealed, 4K/60fps gameplay shown

stplwqj3f0vv8q8crasy.png

After hyping up their announcement via Eurogamer, Microsoft has finally shed light on just what their upcoming console will have under the hood. The picture above details what these specs are, as well as compares them with the PS4 Pro and Xbox One. It'll also be utilizing Microsoft's Direct 3D 12, and if you have a gaming PC, you'll know that DirectX12 usually allows for impressive performance boosts. Featuring 12 GBs of RAM, a 1TB HDD, and a 4K UHD Bluray player (which the PS4 Pro lacks), it seems that this console has blown expectations away. During the event, Forza was shown off, running at a stunning native 4K/60fps. Not only that, but since the Scorpio is backwards compatible, that means that currently existing Xbox One titles, as well as backwards compatible 360 titles will be getting in on the huge performance and visual boost. Eurogamer has a more specific article, linked below, if you want to really dig into what the console does.

:arrow: Source

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is odd. It seems too different to be a half cycle revision, but it's under-powered for a fully new console.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so to get this right its another new model to play XBX1 games at higher resolution (if supported) or have MS released an entirely new system to make XBX1 (s) redundant so it wont get more games, if so thats pretty shite because i remember consoles moving forward once devs have pushed its limits as much as they could.

and..... yes wonder if third parties supporting this will then support the switch or as usual ignore them and focus on the hardware thats cheaper for them to port across the platforms capable of running its game.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
Specs like this are overkill, how much would it cost

Why overkill? Sounds about right for 4K gamming.

This is odd. It seems too different to be a half cycle revision, but it's under-powered for a fully new console.

Doesn't seem to be exactly an Xbox One, probably will have exclusives. I'd say it's a new gen console. I don't think it is undepowered, consoles are mostly always underpowered.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why overkill? Sounds about right for 4K gamming.

Doesn't seem to be exactly an Xbox One, probably will have exclusives. I'd say it's a new gen console. I don't think it is undepowered, consoles are mostly always underpowered.

I think inevitably it will become Microsoft's next gen console (or at least treated as such), but for the time being they'll enforce the restriction that all games developed for it must be playable on the original Xbone as well. But as more and more developers create games that need more power, Microsoft will open up the ability for it to have exclusives. Yet, if when the time comes that Sony reveals the PS5 and its drastically more powerful than the Scorpio, then Microsoft may find themselves in a tricky situation, like do they truly treat the Scorpio as the next gen system or do they get another one out to more properly compete with the PS5. I suppose that will all depend on what Sony does.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Xuman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 8th generation of gaming as a whole is weird due to Sony and Microsoft putting their efforts into making New versions of their consoles (think new like New 3ds) that mainly upscale games, improve framerates etc. But overall do nothing to make it do something the original model cant.

This makes you think that 1. the PS4 and Xbone were originally the prototype versions of what they really wanted to do, or 2. That the two companies are racing against each other faster and faster which, at the consumers expense, means that we have to buy something that, in a few years time, gets made obsolete way too fast. Its one thing when its a handheld because its (normally) not that much of a cut into your pocket as a home console.

If the scorpio does not introduce games that the previous xbox (goin by xbone s) cant do whatsoever, then it means that this super powered console is, without a doubt, not worth buying. Especially if the games are gonna be on PC as well.

Haymose

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if they will sell it without a controller to cut costs. Sounds interesting but the only thing that would get me to buy a Scorpio is if it was compatible with your Steam library. Microsoft should've been chasing that years ago.

Reactions: jpx86

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I was reading into the specs just a bit ago, they're pretty impressive, especially for a console. But no pricing announcement, which was a little disappointing though. If they can release this with only a slight price different from the PS4 Pro it'd kill the competition.

Reactions: Foxi4

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only Forza was shown off, and is Forza an Xbox only product? Yeah, they need to show more proof that they'll have the games to capitalize on its hardware capabilities. That this came out of nowhere feels like an attempt to gain interest as quick as possible rather than wait at say E3 or whatever. It could end up as another PS4 Pro situation, the last thing needed.

Reactions: Bladexdsl and Chary

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The mutated Axolotl was awesome