Project Scorpio specs revealed, 4K/60fps gameplay shown

stplwqj3f0vv8q8crasy.png

After hyping up their announcement via Eurogamer, Microsoft has finally shed light on just what their upcoming console will have under the hood. The picture above details what these specs are, as well as compares them with the PS4 Pro and Xbox One. It'll also be utilizing Microsoft's Direct 3D 12, and if you have a gaming PC, you'll know that DirectX12 usually allows for impressive performance boosts. Featuring 12 GBs of RAM, a 1TB HDD, and a 4K UHD Bluray player (which the PS4 Pro lacks), it seems that this console has blown expectations away. During the event, Forza was shown off, running at a stunning native 4K/60fps. Not only that, but since the Scorpio is backwards compatible, that means that currently existing Xbox One titles, as well as backwards compatible 360 titles will be getting in on the huge performance and visual boost. Eurogamer has a more specific article, linked below, if you want to really dig into what the console does.

:arrow: Source

sonic1000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, if Microsoft can play this right, they'll give Sony a run for their money, especially since since this console's specs blow's the PS4 Pro's out the water.

But they better watch out, I bet Sony is already working on a counter.

Last edited by sonic1000,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Wow, if Microsoft can play this right, they'll give Sony a run for their money, especially since since this console's specs blow's the PS4 Pro's out the water.

But they better watch out, I bet Sony is already working on a counter.
Considering the pro just being released late last year..

So, if they're already planning a major hardware revision/release in the next few years.. It'd lead to something interesting.

naughty_cat

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
If the occulus rift guys would have kept everything under the hood until the actual release, non of this would have happened!! These console revisions are not really about 4K support, they're were actually meant for proper VR support. Morpheus (the PS4 VR goggles thingy) was announced almost immediately after occulus rift was announced (and if I recall correctly, it was like a few days later!). And surely a console with enough hardware power to run VR properly at 1080p/120 fps can easily run 4k at 60 fps on a regular display, I mean, it's not like people who had 4k ready pc's had to upgrade their pc's to be able to run occulus... It's just that it would be quite unreasonable to, not only have people buy a new more expensive console after buying the original ps4, or the xbox one, but even have them pay more just to get the VR goggles to go with their new console! Surely a lot of people would like to do that! (myself included, my only problem is that I can't even afford a regular ps4), but still the "4K hype" has to be put out there, for those who have no interest in VR... Sony felt cornered after occulus was announced, hence the morpheus thingy, hence ps4 pro, thus, inexorably cornering Microsoft in the process! As far as consumers are concerned, as long as PS4pro and Scorpio don't get any serious exclusives (like Xenoblade being a New 3DS exclusive :cry:), then we should all be happy to have so many options out there!

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
PS5 - 2019.
2020 - Xbox officially migrated to win 10.
2020 - Switch refresh with major hardware improvements.
Not getting it though. Considering rx vega(4GB) right now. And where did TSMC came from with Nvidia in partnership?

Last edited by Yil,

Bonestorm

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Any reason? I own 2 - best console ever.
it's a BOTW machine...and BOTW is on the Wii U.

I know people use the cliche "I'm not buying this console for only one game" all the time but this time it's literally true.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Xbox Whaddupnowsony?
Sony 2:1 sounds like a good name for the next Sony console.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Considering the pro just being released late last year..

So, if they're already planning a major hardware revision/release in the next few years.. It'd lead to something interesting.
Out the water? they are mildly better... i was expecting much more..

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I know people use the cliche "I'm not buying this console for only one game" all the time but this time it's literally true.

People usually buy a console for 1 game, and then pick up more games later on. The wii started out as a twilight princess machine.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
then turned into a Mario machine...and then died...hmmm sound familiar?
wew, I think that you're missing quite a few awesome wii games. Metroid Prime 3, Mario Galaxy 1+2, Zelda Skyward Sword, Mario Kart Wii, Animal Crossing City Folk, Virtual console titles, nindies, etc etc.

I buy nintendo consoles for first party titles. If you go into a ninty console expecting 3rd party support at this point, you haven't been paying attention.

Molina

My title? It's gone,... like the last fuck I gave.
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well it can be 4K 60ps, but do not expect full details and full quality.
A 1070/I5 6600k do a ultra/4k around 55-60 fps but it's not steady.

I'll wait for the price but I do not except our usual new console's price (aka 499$). Even though I'm interested in the dismantle to see what's inside.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

That's one more worthwhile exclusive than what XB1 has, and it's moving units. I wouldn't expect even half the pace of sales for Scorpio that Switch is seeing, people are going to be a lot more hesitant to drop $600 - $700 on an impulse buy, especially when it has no exclusives as good as BotW. They feature Forza as if it's Jesus and not just another niche racing game, like the ones you can play on any system.

Reactions: Bladexdsl

SnAQ

Trophies
XP
Country
Good for them, however specs isnt everything.
Games are what makes a console great, not hyped-up specs.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
this will be way to expensive if it doesnt have exclusive games, if it just gets the same xb1 games but upscalled it will be hard to drop i bet 600$ or more.

Also i remenber people saying xb1 would destroy ps4 pro but it isnt that much stronger tbh.

Jackson Ferrell

I don't like SJWs
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The DS went through 4 revisions, so did the 3DS. Nintendo invented pointless revisions, at least Microsoft and Sony allow the consoles to boost performance of past titles, which is rare in the Nintendo camp.
You can't create a machine with imaginary specs, Microsoft and Sony don't own time machines. If the highest end card on the market couldn't support 4K@60FPS then there was no hope for consoles to do so.
Given that happened with the DS systems, Nintendo always has something new every few years or so. PS and Xbox have just been at each others throats to get the other's face in the dirt. Nothing new, just constant spec upgrades. It doesn't make sense to have that powerful a console just to play what you can already get in an Xbone and normal PS. No innovation. I like seeing innovation, not two companies struggling to keep up with the PC brand. Because that's what it feels like. I buy Nintendo consoles not because I'm a fanboy, but for the experience of a new console. Microsoft and Sony are already bringing their exclusives to PC so there's no point except a Switch and a PC (and a 3DS if you like handhelds.)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Given that happened with the DS systems, Nintendo always has something new every few years or so. PS and Xbox have just been at each others throats to get the other's face in the dirt. Nothing new, just constant spec upgrades. It doesn't make sense to have that powerful a console just to play what you can already get in an Xbone and normal PS. No innovation. I like seeing innovation, not two companies struggling to keep up with the PC brand. Because that's what it feels like. I buy Nintendo consoles not because I'm a fanboy, but for the experience of a new console. Microsoft and Sony are already bringing their exclusives to PC so there's no point except a Switch and a PC (and a 3DS if you like handhelds.)
Innovation is only beneficial when it's executed correctly and in demand. Nintendo's focus on innovation rather than quality, comprehensive hardware has already cost them a generation. There's more to consoles than just waggle remotes - they needs to support contemporary games and contemporary coding techniques, and I have serious doubts whether the Switch meets that requirement. Besides, the Switch is not innovative - it's a tablet with HDMI Out and a detachable controller.

Reactions: DrkBeam

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto