Project Scorpio specs revealed, 4K/60fps gameplay shown

stplwqj3f0vv8q8crasy.png

After hyping up their announcement via Eurogamer, Microsoft has finally shed light on just what their upcoming console will have under the hood. The picture above details what these specs are, as well as compares them with the PS4 Pro and Xbox One. It'll also be utilizing Microsoft's Direct 3D 12, and if you have a gaming PC, you'll know that DirectX12 usually allows for impressive performance boosts. Featuring 12 GBs of RAM, a 1TB HDD, and a 4K UHD Bluray player (which the PS4 Pro lacks), it seems that this console has blown expectations away. During the event, Forza was shown off, running at a stunning native 4K/60fps. Not only that, but since the Scorpio is backwards compatible, that means that currently existing Xbox One titles, as well as backwards compatible 360 titles will be getting in on the huge performance and visual boost. Eurogamer has a more specific article, linked below, if you want to really dig into what the console does.

:arrow: Source

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If so, that's disheartening. Well, if anything, here's hoping exclusives are optimized for the scorpio and they get in that xbox game pass going strong at its launch. A good number of exclusives releasing around the same time would help turn my head towards it and away from my switch/PC/ps4.

I think its main selling point is that it could possibly blow away anything at its price point for a couple years. It's probably going to be significantly cheaper than a 4k capable PC for instance.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
By this point, I see absolutely no reason to not buy a custom gaming PC instead. Far cheaper games, mouse and keyboard support, steam, and a full blown computer included and all the goodness that comes with it.

Why the hell would I buy this unless it costs 300$?

Reactions: Subtle Demise
S

Saiyan Lusitano

I wouldn't count that as censorship and not enough to affect the overall game. Not everything that's taking out of a game, is censorship. Apparently the port of the WII U versions, didn't even add those scenes back.
It is censorship. The WiiU version isn't complete.

ZeroX504

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never supported new models in video game consoles, I think it's a waste of time for them and waste of money for us gamers. If they have the time to rethink hardware, why not use that time to build a truly kick ass new generation console.

Reactions: Pluupy

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never supported new models in video game consoles, I think it's a waste of time for them and waste of money for us gamers. If they have the time to rethink hardware, why not use that time to build a truly kick ass new generation console.
The real problem isn't hardware specs. It's Microsoft's insistence on shoving worthless "apps" down everyone's throat, combined with the whole "ads first" design of the entire Xbox One ecosystem. (Never mind their whole "IT RUNS WINDOWS 10!!1!" schtick that's basically meaningless because it won't run any old Windows program.)

As long as Microsoft continues to do this, I don't see any point in even considering an MS console, regardless of how powerful it might be.

Reactions: duwen and Pluupy

Silverthorn

Spiky!
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The WiiU port of Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge is technically inferior to the 360/PS3 versions due to the censorship so it's a game better played on any other system.. unless you'd want to play it on a Nintendo for the novelty of it or for collection. And besides the censorship, Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge was supposed to be a WiiU exclusive but ended up being a multiplatform title.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution was also meant to be an exclusive but with sales tanking, Square Enix made the game went multiplat. It's no surprise Rayman Legends went too, and in Ubisoft's defence, they actually supported the WiiU more than any other third party publisher. Speaking of Rayman Legends, Ubisoft will be re-re-releasing the game on the Switch. God damn it. Just make a new Rayman game! :(

Ehrrm, are you sure you're not confusing Deus Ex:HR with some other game there ? :unsure: Because it released like, a bit more than 1 year before the Wii U did. And I'm pretty sure the game wasn't meant to go exclusive at any point. Maybe I misinterpreted your post though.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

It's freedom of speech. The game developers are free to modify their game for any platform in any region as they see fit.

Unless you think "freedom of speech" only applies in certain cases.
Doesn't matter. It's censorship. Just because a dev released a game this or that way doesn't mean it's "uncut" because it isn't.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would rather buy the PS4, honestly. Xbox has never been unique besides the Kinect. Any games on Xbox are almost always guaranteed to be available on Playstation or PC, and are always more superior on the other platforms as well. And no, I wouldn't buy an Xbox for Halo. I wouldn't buy any console for less than five games.

Ranted about Microsoft not taking advantage of Windows and Microsoft Surface but meh. Windows will continue to be the ignored older sibling, I guess.

Ugh...Maybe by 2030 we'll get rid of the idiocy that are stationary gaming consoles and be able to play games anywhere. Who the fuck wants to designate a room and TV to play video games? While Elon Musk is on Mars, those of us on Earth will finally play games wirelessly and portable, technology presently available but derpdederp let's continue making stationary sub-par PCs. This bulky console goes great with my paleo diet and life style.

Anyway, the Switch, 3DS, PS4, and PC will continue be the only platforms worth having for gaming, with Nintendo being the only innovative brand. Mobile could work as a strong platform if it wasn't literally filled with shovelware.

Last edited by Pluupy,

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

Why set generations apart? Last gen to current we have hardly seen any breakthrough.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

Ehrrm, are you sure you're not confusing Deus Ex:HR with some other game there ? :unsure: Because it released like, a bit more than 1 year before the Wii U did. And I'm pretty sure the game wasn't meant to go exclusive at any point. Maybe I misinterpreted your post though.
The Director's Cut.

If it's "free speech" for developers/publishers to censor games then we'll be seeing a lot of that, oh look... Outlast 2. Solid example.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
scorpio and ps4 pro really weird, can we say they are 8.5 gen? something like dreamcast and sega master system?

I want to say they're more akin to whatever you'd consider the DSi and the New 3DS. Except Nintendo didn't have a restriction about exclusive games not being allowed for the improved hardware, and actually allowed for it. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised to see that restriction lifted in a year or so for the PS4 Pro and Scorpio.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Basically what I expected, a little more powerful than PS4 Pro and also going to be more expensive. It definitely won't run everything at 4K, a lot is still going to have to upscale. $600 will be the low end of possibility for the starting price, and knowing MS, probably $700. We've now passed the point where you could build your own gaming PC for the same price and get similar or better specs.

Last edited by Xzi,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Basically what I expected, a little more powerful than PS4 Pro and also going to be more expensive. It definitely won't run everything at 4K, a lot is still going to have to upscale. $600 will be the low end of possibility for the starting price, and knowing MS, probably $700. We've now passed the point where you could build your own gaming PC for the same price and get similar or better specs.
It's the customisation that's making this new console interesting, it features a hardware implementation of DX12 which seriously cuts down on the number of instructions required - from thousands to twelve, or something in that ballpark. It'll be highly competitive with gaming rigs, even those surpassing its spec specifically for that reason, at least in future games which will fully utilise DX12.

Reactions: indionicarao

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It's the customisation that's making this new console interesting, it features a hardware implementation of DX12 which seriously cuts down on the number of instructions required - from thousands to twelve, or something in that ballpark. It'll be highly competitive with gaming rigs, even those surpassing its spec specifically for that reason, at least in future games which will fully utilise DX12.
That's all good and fine, but they're releasing it now, when there are like two whole games that fully utilize DX12. Not to mention we aren't even sure if DX12 will end up getting majority support at this point or if Vulkan will win out.

Reactions: indionicarao

morgoth32

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The power is not the only advantage here, in contrary to sony's design there is a REAL cooling solution and not a simple fan running like a jet !

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Do I make you randy!!! Lol