Rumor Potential Switch Lite Oled kits to be available

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Youtuber TakiUdon has shown an interesting mod concept that allows users to replace the standard switch lite IPS display with a glorious Oled mod. Since this is a seldom user more will be followed to confirm authenticity but looks promising.

Last edited by K3Nv2,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
HDMI output, even if it's limited to 720p, would be a game changer for the Switch Lite. The portability is great, but even if you are someone that only plays in handheld mode, sometimes you have friends over or you are visiting friends and you want to play a round of Mario Kart, Mario Party or Smash. Losing out on the entire couch multiplayer aspect just for slightly improved portability has always been a massive deal breaker for me. 720p is more than sufficient for those things though and I still find it ridiculous that Nintendo refused to put in a 2 dollar part that would enable them to sell Switch Lite docks and make more money.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Youtuber TakiUdon has shown an interesting mod concept that allows users to replace the standard switch lite IPS display with a glorious Oled mod. Since this is a seldom user more will be followed to confirm authenticity but looks promising.

This is a big improvement over the crappy LCD, looks to be legitimate.

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HDMI output, even if it's limited to 720p, would be a game changer for the Switch Lite. The portability is great, but even if you are someone that only plays in handheld mode, sometimes you have friends over or you are visiting friends and you want to play a round of Mario Kart, Mario Party or Smash. Losing out on the entire couch multiplayer aspect just for slightly improved portability has always been a massive deal breaker for me. 720p is more than sufficient for those things though and I still find it ridiculous that Nintendo refused to put in a 2 dollar part that would enable them to sell Switch Lite docks and make more money.
Plus depending on the price this could very well be a much cheaper option to experience switch games on OLED instead of just buying a used OLED switch

Second hand switch lites are cheap as dirt, and around me can be found for $100 easily. Even if this screen is also $120 that’s still hella cheaper than just buying an OLED

Reactions: The Real Jdbye

realtimesave

///AMG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do want. I have the oled switch and I like its larger screen but I'm not that finnicky on display quality. I'd do this mod even though I don't need it lol

Dawn_Chaos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been under the impression that the two display technologies are too different for this to be legitimate. Time will tell.

RedFawkes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have been under the impression that the two display technologies are too different for this to be legitimate. Time will tell.
Well that may be but then again there are lots of options on the market for upgrading very old Gameboys.
If that's possible then who knows what's possible on a Switch Lite...

I'm hopeful.

maxmaxoneteu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
i am just guessing, but 25-50$ is a price for adapter/converter (maybe arduino based) from Lite MB to i2c/HDMI(thats probably why hes talking about hdmi output, simply splitter?) OLED arduino screen 5.5" panel wchich is another 60-80$ on Ali, wondering how this can be easy if we talking about joining screen with lite digitizer.

XC-3730C

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am hoping for the TV out option on the Lite. If that kind of thing can utilize the USB-C port and connect to a full sized Switch dock, that would be epic.

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
A lot of Sharp panel use MIPI-DSI as an input signal.
It's my guess that the Switch is also using such a panel.
There are chips available that can convert that into an HDMI signal :
https://somlabs.com/product/dsi2hdmi/

The original Switch uses DisplayPort signals that are converted by a special chip (PI3USB) that can send that data over an USB port.
In the dock there is another chip that extracts those signals and converts them to HDMI.
Question is whether all the required signals are exposed on the Switch Lite motherboard.

Reactions: BigOnYa

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
A lot of Sharp panel use MIPI-DSI as an input signal.
It's my guess that the Switch is also using such a panel.
There are chips available that can convert that into an HDMI signal :
https://somlabs.com/product/dsi2hdmi/

The original Switch uses DisplayPort signals that are converted by a special chip (PI3USB) that can send that data over an USB port.
In the dock there is another chip that extracts those signals and converts them to HDMI.
Question is whether all the required signals are exposed on the Switch Lite motherboard.
They are not

Reactions: Dawn_Chaos

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that screen is still teeny tiny, was hoping that it would use up more real estate in the giant cutout. IDK how people could play a full-fat switch game on that screen

Reactions: BigOnYa

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Great, I was hoping something like this would come out but didn't really expect it would!
The price range stated in that tweet seems quite low ($20 - $50?), surely that can't include the screen too?
Either way, I will get this, thanks for awareness :)

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Our Colombian friend @impeeza indirectly confirmed my suspicion that this isn't possible, and is therefore a hoax. Don't get your hopes up, people.
Are hoaxes this mundane now? Yes it would be cool but I wouldn't have thought it's worth lying or faking pictures over. (I did think the price was a bit low but of course we don't have the full details)
But maybe people in these times are just really bored (in a world where we can have entertainment basically 24/7)

I'd have thought a hoax would at least be something a bit more crazy than this.
Next boring hoax: adding a second headphone jack to the switch :D

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Our Colombian friend @impeeza indirectly confirmed my suspicion that this isn't possible, and is therefore a hoax. Don't get your hopes up, people.
Taki Udon is a pretty well known and reputable gaming hardware reviewer and YouTuber, I don't think he would throw his channel away for a silly hoax like that. Maybe it's a setup for an April Fools' prank, but I doubt it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    N @ NoiseCommander3DS: https://youtu.be/cAo4TuKIz6s