Hacking Post your ideas regarding how to hack the 3DS, here

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder how many times I'll suggest that the first post be updated with all of the theories that definitely WON'T work... just to keep the n00bs from posting them over and over again. Not like they read the first post anyways, though.

Reactions: 1 person

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I wonder how many times I'll suggest that the first post be updated with all of the theories that definitely WON'T work... just to keep the n00bs from posting them over and over again. Not like they read the first post anyways, though.
I wonder how many times no one will care that you have suggested it lots of times. Hint: No one is going to do anything about it. If you really care, report the first post like I said before with exactly what changes you want (i.e. you put in the report a list of all the ideas you want added), and it'll probably get done.

mikey89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You know someone should do that. Cause the Advanced user noobs who have a slight understanding of how things work,(like myself) do read the first 1 page sometimes 5. But im not ready to read the whole thread. Also if all the ideas are put on the first page, then it would also be helpful to put an explanation below why it doesn't work. Then a hypothetical, if all these thing where to happen and be in place then this theory should work. Cause we all have to remember ANYTHING is possible. I remember back in the day where it seemed like everyone was saying, you will NEVER be able to run back up Gamecube games on your wii without DVD. Now its possible thanks to multiple people who thought outside the box.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You know someone should do that. Cause the Advanced user noobs who have a slight understanding of how things work,(like myself) do read the first 1 page sometimes 5. But im not ready to read the whole thread. Also if all the ideas are put on the first page, then it would also be helpful to put an explanation below why it doesn't work. Then a hypothetical, if all these thing where to happen and be in place then this theory should work. Cause we all have to remember ANYTHING is possible. I remember back in the day where it seemed like everyone was saying, you will NEVER be able to run back up Gamecube games on your wii without DVD. Now its possible thanks to multiple people who thought outside the box.

el_venga

Handhelds Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
3DS is so complicated/protected we cant even reset counter of demos. this kind of data is always saved in the 3DS memory even if the game is downloaded on SD card.

Parismessios3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
Hello, I have found a way to fully crash/freeze my 3ds. Here is how:
1) Open the eshop
2) Wait until the 3ds splash screen disappears
3) When it starts to loading the eshop (when it shows a spinning circle and the smily-face orange bad on the lower screen) press the power button
4) When you get the screen of the sleep mode (which says to press the touch screen in order to turn off the 3ds) press the home button
That made my 3ds to freeze on the home splash screen. Could this lead to anything?

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello, I have found a way to fully crash/freeze my 3ds. Here is how:
1) Open the eshop
2) Wait until the 3ds splash screen disappears
3) When it starts to loading the eshop (when it shows a spinning circle and the smily-face orange bad on the lower screen) press the power button
4) When you get the screen of the sleep mode (which says to press the touch screen in order to turn off the 3ds) press the home button
That made my 3ds to freeze on the home splash screen. Could this lead to anything?

That doesn't even work. Probably just a one-off.

OK, it does take longer than usual to go off the home screen but I doubt it's useful.

Rat.2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This has probably already been suggested but just like the 3DS video hack i wonder if its possible to download a paid eshop game

someone should re-download paid software from the eshop gathering all the commands and data sent then try and replicate the commands to a different 3DS and then you download free games

i know the data will be encrypted but your not going to need to edit it just replicate it

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
This has probably already been suggested but just like the 3DS video hack i wonder if its possible to download a paid eshop game

someone should re-download paid software from the eshop gathering all the commands and data sent then try and replicate the commands to a different 3DS and then you download free games

i know the data will be encrypted but your not going to need to edit it just replicate it
...And just how would the second 3DS know what data it sent to the server if that data came from the first 3DS? You need to brush up on your knowledge of Transport Layer Security.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
I know the data will be encrypted but your not going to need to edit it just replicate it
The games will be encrypted differently per system. The game you download on one 3DS won't work on a different 3DS.
He's suggesting that you could replicate the request data from one 3DS on another, at the start of the download request before the game is downloaded and encrypted with the console key. The idea is that the duplicate request data on a second 3DS would initiate another, free download. It's still not possible, however, for several reasons, most importantly because SSL/TLS incorporate endpoint authentication intended to defend against MITM attacks, of which this idea is akin to.

Rat.2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I know the data will be encrypted but your not going to need to edit it just replicate it
The games will be encrypted differently per system. The game you download on one 3DS won't work on a different 3DS.
He's suggesting that you could replicate the request data from one 3DS on another, at the start of the download request before the game is downloaded and encrypted with the console key. The idea is that the duplicate request data on a second 3DS would initiate another, free download. It's still not possible, however, for several reasons, most importantly because SSL/TLS incorporate endpoint authentication intended to defend against MITM attacks, of which this idea is akin to.
Thanks McHaggis
That is what i meant

Nintendo must have put a lot of thought into all the security as still no-one has hacked it

Edwii

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Ok, so it's 3am, and I dont know if this idea has been thought of before, or if it even holds water but, how does this sound:

So, the vitrual console games use rom's of the origonal games,(more or less) so, If the 3ds memory is dumped, could a program use the oringal rom patterns to match them up with the ones in the 3ds? even if it could be i am not sure how useful it would be... perhaps for mapping purposes or injecting?

Just a thought.

T3GZdev

head of T3GZdev
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
i was watching this video on how to jtag 360.
& what if we could hack the 3DS that way?
soider some wired & connector into the NAND running to pc, dump couple times, then write something to the NAND that will read & show the common key or specific key for every device. then put the info in the program & compile copy to sd card & run on 3DS to install

alphamule

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's why even if the GBA's link port was still on the chip carrier's (IC package's) connector, it's impractical to add one to a DS no matter if the CPU die still has it or not. They don't call them the "Evil BGA chips" for nothing!

If you could just trivially exchange the chips, then it would be practical to have a mod chip that is nothing but a replacement memory chip or CPU or something. If I wired a socket to an (original) Xbox, then running an hardware ICE would be trivial, assuming I had one to plug in. Also, the 3DS doesn't use a commidity chip like the x86 family so hardware emulators (really debuggers) would probably have to come from... you guessed it, hehe. The same deal with the original gameboy and later color versions in fact. Even if you wired an adapter and soldered it to a Gameboy Color's board, hooking a Z80 into it would be pointless since the instruction set and a bunch of other stuff is different. The same thing applies to trying to use ARM debuggers on a 3DS. At the very least, there's hardware encryption.

Yes, I know in actual practice the Xbox (original) modders attacked the Flash ROM and not the CPU or something. The funniest thing is that everyone was so used to the motherboard hack that when the DVD hacks came out, everyone kicked themselves for not being the first to do it. I'm thinking that as the price of FPGAs drop, someone will make a fully emulated optical drive that will make disc protections on PCs obsolete overnight. Bonus points if using off-the-shelf boards that cost

Reactions: 2 people

Transdude1996

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since we're doing nothing but running around in circles, why don't we just shut up until we find a problem presented only recently (1 day-2 weeks). Any theories that had to deal with the Miis, SD card, Web, program load, cartridge hack, and anything else similar has already been shot down. So, stop posting ideas we already know.
(for some who want to know what the 3DS will look like when cracked, here it is: :nds: Rejoice when it happens)

Since we're doing nothing but running around in circles, why don't we just shut up until we find a problem presented only recently (1 day-2 weeks). Any theories that had to deal with the Miis, SD card, Web, program load, cartridge hack, and anything else similar has already been shot down. So, stop posting ideas we already know.
(for some who want to know what the 3DS will look like when cracked, here it is: :nds: Rejoice when it happens)

Think I expressed my complaint enough?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: ok not just