Homebrew Post Homebrew ideas, suggestion, requests here

YoshiOG1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know what would be cool but probably take quite a bit of work?
A texture replacement loader for Gen 7 Pokemon games!
Even though we have tools like Ohana3DS, SPICA, and PK3DS, I just think it's a lot of hassle to load custom textures with Luma's LayeredFS. It's really tedious when I have to decompress the GARC, modify the texture with Ohana's BCH texture replacer, and recompress the GARC for use with LayeredFS, all just to load a custom texture. It would be handy if someone made a patch for the game that loads BCH files from the SD card instead of having to replace the entire GARC (~ 1.2GB).

TL;DR: I want an easier way to load custom textures in Pokemon SM/USUM.
To any developers who consider making this possible: I applaud you and thank you for taking on this challenge (or whatever you wanna call it)

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I really want a sort of FreeShop although for regular DS games, because I have an old2ds and can't run DeSuMe (:

I just really want to play COD bo1 Zombies on my 3ds :nds:
Why not just go with TWLoader or NDS Forwarders? Compatibility is very good for them and offer the same one as a FreeShop for NDS games would have. Also, FreeShop does have some NDS games already that have perfect compatibility (eg: Shantae Risky's Revenge).

Reactions: AdenTheThird

Anikemi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hi everyone
Today i downloaded the DS Download Station rom for NDS and i put it in my R4
And, i think, it could be a way to hack the 3ds? I say, if i modify in any way (i dont know) the DS Download Station Rom and put in it a game with some exploit, we could modify the 3ds?
I just tell my idea.
Bye
(And again, sorry for my bad english but im from spain... xDD)

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone
Today i downloaded the DS Download Station rom for NDS and i put it in my R4
And, i think, it could be a way to hack the 3ds? I say, if i modify in any way (i dont know) the DS Download Station Rom and put in it a game with some exploit, we could modify the 3ds?
I just tell my idea.
Bye
(And again, sorry for my bad english but im from spain... xDD)
No

Anikemi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain

StrikerMan780

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think, with the help of CFW, it would be neat to have a GBA ROM Loader that makes use of AGB_FIRM, without the need of mucking around with CIAs. Think something like GBA_Exploader for DS flashcarts.
Extra points if it allows picking a location for .sav files matching the ROM name.

Last edited by StrikerMan780,

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I think, with the help of CFW, it would be neat to have a GBA ROM Loader that makes use of AGB_FIRM, without the need of mucking around with CIAs. Think something like GBA_Exploader for DS flashcarts.
Extra points if it allows picking a location for .sav files matching the ROM name.
That's literally impossible, as CFW isn't in use while playing GBA/NDS games on the native hardware (only the game loads, reason you can't use stuff like NTR CFW with it or bring up the Rosalina menu). Also, the save has to be stored there and only way to change that would be to modify the SysNAND, which could very likely cause a brick.

StrikerMan780

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's literally impossible, as CFW isn't in use while playing GBA/NDS games on the native hardware (only the game loads, reason you can't use stuff like NTR CFW with it or bring up the Rosalina menu). Also, the save has to be stored there and only way to change that would be to modify the SysNAND, which could very likely cause a brick.
I didn't say to have CFW running while a GBA game is running, I know that's impossible, but rather an interface to inject a ROM for AGB_FIRM to use before finally going into that mode. Then any save data produced after playing, would then get copied to the SD and renamed to that of the last played ROM on next launch of this theoretical homebrew application.

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I didn't say to have CFW running while a GBA game is running, I know that's impossible, but rather an interface to inject a ROM for AGB_FIRM to use before finally going into that mode. Then any save data produced after playing, would then get copied to the SD and renamed to that of the last played ROM on next launch of this theoretical homebrew application.
You CAN'T inject ROMs just like that, as .gba is just the ROM container, with the files inside, so you'd have to unpack them and manually modify the SysNAND, making it brick-prone. As for save data, it's not produced AFTER playing, but while playing, meaning while in GBA mode, so NO CFW RUNNING to do anything to the saves. If you don't get it, it's LITERALLY impossible to make the saves being stored anywhere else from where they are without modifying AGB_FIRM itself and good luck doing that without it making a pain to implement and brick-free.

StrikerMan780

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You CAN'T inject ROMs just like that, as .gba is just the ROM container, with the files inside, so you'd have to unpack them and manually modify the SysNAND, making it brick-prone. As for save data, it's not produced AFTER playing, but while playing, meaning while in GBA mode, so NO CFW RUNNING to do anything to the saves. If you don't get it, it's LITERALLY impossible to make the saves being stored anywhere else from where they are without modifying AGB_FIRM itself and good luck doing that without it making a pain to implement and brick-free.
You fail to understand what I'm saying. It's already possible to retrieve save data for a GBA VC title on the 3DS. There's tools that exist to do this on the 3DS as it is. It's also already possible to inject whatever GBA games into GBA VC title CIAs on 3DS, just not on the 3DS itself yet because nobody has yet made an app to do it, just on Windows.

The process for this idea is as follows: App takes a GBA ROM, unpacks and injects it into a GBA VC title CIA (one on your SD card, so it wouldn't be fucking with the SysNand during this process), installs it then launches it just like if you had launched a GBA VC title. (Heck, if automatically launching it after isn't possible, just prompt them to click on the title on the home screen). You play just like you always would, when you're done playing, you close the game/restart the 3DS. After, you re-launch the app, it grabs the save data, and copies it to a file, named after the last ROM you loaded.

There's already something that exists that works in a very similar roundabout way, but for the NDS. (GBA Exploader runs in NDS mode from your Slot1 card (r4, DSTT, etc), and works by uploading a ROM to a special slot2 card, then launches in GBA mode, and when you're done playing, you reboot the NDS, and run GBA Exploader again, it grabs the SRAM from the slot2 card, and saves it back to a file on your Slot1 flashcart's SD named after the ROM you had picked before.)

Last edited by StrikerMan780,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: